• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,411
  • Total Topics: 5,704
  • Online today: 286
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 297
  • Total: 297
  • Google
If you would like to make a donation to help with the running costs of the site, then a donation button has been added to the bottom of the page.  Thanks.
Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning ResourcesPhotography and Time of D...

Snow Leopard

Started by happypaddler, September 04, 2009, 06:36:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

happypaddler

It won't shut down. That surprises me - I have it on 2 machines and its also on my parents and my sisters - they all sleep and shut down when requested. Without trying to teach you to suck eggs - you may already have done both of these, but...  Have you tried resetting - Shut down the computer. Before turning it back on hold down Command, Option, P, and R. You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously as you turn on the computer, keeping hold of them, the screen will go grey, keep them pressed down until it reboots and you have herd the second start up chime, once you have herd this let go of the keys. Let it boot up properly and see if it works. Also try repairing the disk permissions - Finder, Applications, Utilities, Disk Utility, then verify the disk and then repair the permissions.

Mick

Snow Leopard bug deletes all user data  :doh:   You Mac guy's might already have seen this.  :legit:

"Several posts on the Apple Support forums (1, 2) dating back to 12 September indicate that some users have been losing all their data due to a nasty bug in Snow Leopard, a.k.a. Mac OS 10.6.

On Saturday iTWire reported on the bug which rears its head when a user logs into their Mac's Guest account and then tries to log back into their regular account."

Read more here, http://blogs.zdnet.com/Apple/?p=5006&tag=nl.e550
Thank You, "Guest" For Reading This Post.

My Gallery
Tinyportal.net Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0
Guitarist Guild Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0
The Garden Machinery Forum Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0

OpenSea

Jonathan

Worrying stuff.

In their rush to blow the whistle on this I can't help noticing that ZDNet missed 4 important points.

1. The bug is incredibly rare.  Millions of Snow Leopard installs and dozens of people have found this.  It certainly doesn't happen every time you log into a guest account.  It's roughly at the level of "your iPhone could spontaneously explode".  Without the other points in this list it's just an alarmist story.  ZDNet used to be better than that.

2. It is NOT confined to Snow Leopard.  (This was pointed out to them by a reader after their article).  There have been very very rare reports of this for 2 years.  Which means that the implication in the ZD article that you're safe if you didn't upgrade is just wrong.

3. There's a fix on the way.  Until then the sensible advice (repeated just about everywhere but not mentioned by Ziff) is do not use guest accounts.  Most home users probably don't do that anyway (though arguably they should).  Rather than ZD's implied advice "don't use Snow Leopard".  Which is foolish and wrong.

4. You're running Time Machine, right?  Because that downgrades this bug from an "OMG my life is over fubar" to a 10 minute inconvenience.  CNET's "technique" for magically recovering the data starts "go into Time Machine".  If you're running a Mac on an OS that supports it then turn on Time Machine now.  If you're on an OS that doesn't support it then upgrade now ;)
It's Guest's round

Mick

Quote from: Jonathan on October 15, 2009, 07:57:39 AM

Worrying stuff.

That's what I thought.  Though I didn't post this to worry anyone, but to make sure they back everything up throughly just in case you were one of the unfortunate users affected by this bug.  It says you can't recover the files, and I'd hate to see someone loose all their stuff.  :(
Thank You, "Guest" For Reading This Post.

My Gallery
Tinyportal.net Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0
Guitarist Guild Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0
The Garden Machinery Forum Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0

OpenSea

Jonathan

Quote from: admin on October 15, 2009, 09:37:51 AM
Quote from: Jonathan on October 15, 2009, 07:57:39 AM

Worrying stuff.

That's what I thought.  Though I didn't post this to worry anyone, but to make sure they back everything up throughly just in case you were one of the unfortunate users affected by this bug.  It says you can't recover the files, and I'd hate to see someone loose all their stuff.  :(

Yeah it would be pretty bad to get hit by it.  I'm kind of saddened by ZD's new standards in journalism though.  They used to be better than that.
It's Guest's round

hevans

Quote from: Jonathan on October 15, 2009, 09:51:42 AM
Yeah it would be pretty bad to get hit by it.  I'm kind of saddened by ZD's new standards in journalism though.  They used to be better than that.

To be honest, it's standard Journalism as is usually applied to whatever the latest Windows OS "crisis" is. Only difference is that this time it's for a Mac. Is it time for the Mac Monks to grow a thicker skin and accept that nothing is perfect :P?! There have been similar issues presented for Windows machines: "OMG! I could lose everything", but again, for very isolated cases. In those cases the media jumped all over it as well.

Most importantly: it shows you shouldn't rely on a single system and how grateful you'll be for backups when the need arises. Out of interest, how does the frequency of this data loss stack up against, say a hard drive failure? Which is the greater threat/risk? I'd guess there will be more HD failures (either, mac, windows or linux) today than guest account wipe-ages. Will the time machine help against those types of failures? No, best to have a proper backup.

H.

Jonathan

Quote from: hevans on October 15, 2009, 10:50:01 AM
I'd guess there will be more HD failures (either, mac, windows or linux) today than guest account wipe-ages. Will the time machine help against those types of failures?

Erm, yeah.........

My boot drive broke a few weeks ago (actually it started becoming increasingly bad at booting but when it was running it was fine).  5 mins to swap for a new drive from the nice chaps at eBuyer.  Power on and get the message "oh, your entire OS appears to be gone along with all the data - would you like Time Machine to fix this for you?".  Sure.  Couple of hours later everything was as I remembered it.  Not bad for a 250GB restore on a drive I never "make backups" of.

For a "one click and forget about it" solution it's actually very cool.  Plus it looks pretty.
It's Guest's round

picsfor

any one who hasn't tried time machine doesn't know what they're missing.

Countless re-builds i've done with windows and most require 2 or 3 stages and some data lost - usually nothing important.

My wife unplugged the mac the other week whilst it was shutting down and completely corrupted the hard drive.

System allowed me to boot into time machine and perform a full restore after formating the hard drive and at this moment in time i do not have appeared to have lost anything.
Procedure required 3 clicks of a mouse button and about 20 minutes and that was me up and running again.

One day all computers will have Time Machine for system back up

anglefire

I use time machine to backup to a usb hd - what i'd really like to do is use my nas drive, but for some reason it won't play and i've not had time to look into it!

To be fair i don't have much data on the mac, so it wouldn't be a major issue if it did go down.
----------------------------------
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Current Bodies:
Canon 1Dx
Canon R3
Canon R5

Sold Bodies:
Canon 350D
Canon 1DMk3
Canon 5D
Canon 1Dx Mk3

happypaddler

Finally my MacSpeech update has arrived and is now fully functioning once more! I also decided to plug the printer back into the Time Capsule to see if it would work now (it only partially worked under Leopard). I noticed the printer driver for my Canon iP4500 changed drastically in the update to Snow Leopard - when I plugged it into the TC, told both the MacBook and iMac to talk to the printer wirelessly through Bonjour, it all works as it should - duplex printing, changes in printer settings et al all as they should be. Will save some messing plugging and unplugging usb's etc.

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.