• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,411
  • Total Topics: 5,704
  • Online today: 297
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 1
  • Guests: 101
  • Total: 102
  • Mick
If you would like to make a donation to help with the running costs of the site, then a donation button has been added to the bottom of the page.  Thanks.
Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning ResourcesPhotography and Time of D...

Windows 10 Creators Edition - Nightlight

Started by SimonW, May 10, 2017, 10:09:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SimonW

The latest Windows 10 (called the Creators edition) has just forced itself onto my PC without my consent, and installed a vast number of "improvements". Actually it seems rather good, though I'll never play with most of the new toys.

It has a thing called nightlight which  claims to change the colour temperature of the monitor between daytime and nighttime. It appears that you can set the temperatures you want, or just turn it off (thank goodness). But how useful is that for photo editing? Could it be an easy way of matching the monitor colours to a printer - and if so, exactly how, or is it just one more way to really screw things up?

Simon
Simon Warren
(in Dunning, Scotland)

anglefire

Knew nothing about the nightlight - and as my main monitor is a calibrated one, then I've turned that off!
----------------------------------
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Current Bodies:
Canon 1Dx
Canon R3
Canon R5

Sold Bodies:
Canon 350D
Canon 1DMk3
Canon 5D
Canon 1Dx Mk3

Mick

Been waiting for it to apply this update on my PC's for a while now, so far I've escaped it.  :) 
Thank You, "Guest" For Reading This Post.

My Gallery
Tinyportal.net Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0
Guitarist Guild Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0
The Garden Machinery Forum Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0

OpenSea

StephenBatey

Mick, I read somewhere that MIcrosoft were staggering the updates to target the most recent PCs first - presumably they have the best chance of not being rendered inoperable by the first escape of the software - so I assume that your's isn't a very new computer.

How do you know if the update has struck? I have a year old laptop that spent the best part of a day on Tuesday downloading Windows updates before spending a few hours rebooting itself.
Both income tax and lockdowns were introduced as temporary measures by the government.

Alfonso_Frisk

Jeez, I hope I am back of the queue for this update.
Getting pished off with all these changes and so called "improvements" of W10.
On Thursday my lap top also spent hours doing updates and reboots and I assume these must be in prep for this "new" version.
They also keep trying to install updates for office which I do not have and then giving me errors of update failures for it.
For me W10 is getting close to being the crapiest system released. Not quite as bad as vista yet, but coming close.
http://www.fluidr.com/photos/nosmo_king2007
http://www.seateamimages.com/search.php
Wine improves with age, The older I get the more I like it.

Hinfrance

I must be your anti-matter Windows user. We still have an old desktop running Vista that has never missed a beat, and I really like Windows 10, although it is sometime a little flaky on our really old spare laptop at times, but all I use that for now is to run a DAW and amplifier software. Sorry ;)

And on the anti-matter subject, for me XP was a total disaster . . .
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Mick

Quote from: StephenBatey on May 11, 2017, 11:34:33 PM
Mick, I read somewhere that MIcrosoft were staggering the updates to target the most recent PCs first - presumably they have the best chance of not being rendered inoperable by the first escape of the software - so I assume that your's isn't a very new computer.

How do you know if the update has struck? I have a year old laptop that spent the best part of a day on Tuesday downloading Windows updates before spending a few hours rebooting itself.

Thanks, yep I gathered it would be staggered, but didn't realise the reason was based on age of machine, thought it was for load on system etc. I learn something new every day. ;)

If your machine is currently running version 1607 then you haven't got it yet.  Start > Settings > System > About.
Thank You, "Guest" For Reading This Post.

My Gallery
Tinyportal.net Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0
Guitarist Guild Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0
The Garden Machinery Forum Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0

OpenSea

jinky

I`m on a relatively new machine still on 1607 but have to say that I have had no problems at all with Windows 10 (touch wood). It came installed on this machine and whilst I found a hack to switch off auto updates I didn`t bother doing it in the end as I trust Microsoft more than I trust myself with a PC. Hated Vista, loved XP and Windows 7.

anglefire

I like w10. One of the best out there. I have been using server 2016 on a job as well and that seems very good and is very much like w10. 
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Current Bodies:
Canon 1Dx
Canon R3
Canon R5

Sold Bodies:
Canon 350D
Canon 1DMk3
Canon 5D
Canon 1Dx Mk3

Simple

This is all very topical for me. Coming back from Holiday, switching on the PC and it upgrades to something new. It all looks the same, but I now have Windows EDGE instead of chrome or explorer. No big deal, but I am unable to run Java scripts, even after Googling and performing all the stupid things they recommend. I have normally no problems, but now I am getting rather annoyed.

anglefire

You do have explorer - you can find it on Edge by clicking on the 3 buttons on the task bar at the top right and is an option to open in IE. :)

Chrome has disabled Java for sometime - but IE works ok with it still, not sure about edge as I don't use it. (at the moment, if the speed is what is claimed and I can find the imported favourites, I might switch!)
Mark

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Current Bodies:
Canon 1Dx
Canon R3
Canon R5

Sold Bodies:
Canon 350D
Canon 1DMk3
Canon 5D
Canon 1Dx Mk3

Simple

:D Works, happy for now, Thanks for that.

Hinfrance

Quote from: Hinfrance on May 12, 2017, 04:35:45 PM
And on the anti-matter subject, for me XP was a total disaster . . .

And for the NHS as well, by the looks of it. Actually unfair, it's because of the numpties who work there - MS have stated publicly that the vulnerability had been patched through standard updates, but someone wasn't running them it would seem.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.