• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,412
  • Total Topics: 5,705
  • Online today: 193
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 135
  • Total: 135
photobox
Temu £100 Coupon bundle o...Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning Resources

off cam flash help required

Started by Alfonso_Frisk, October 10, 2009, 01:12:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Forseti

Has anybody actually used/owned, or know of anybody who has, the PocketWizard wireless triggering system and has a view on them - other than expensive of course?
Canon 7D,  Canon SX1 IS, EF100 f/2.8 USM Macro, EF70-200 f/4 L IS USM, EF17-40 f/4 L USM, Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM, Canon Speedlite 580EX MkII

"Everyone can take a great picture with digital, the knack is to take two" - David Bailey

nickt

I don't have any of my own but used them on a course and they were great compared to the cheaper ones off ebay that worked spasmodically.
Nick

anglefire

I've not used pocket wizards, but have got Elinchrom Skyports and they work very well. Not the range or some of the features - but a heck of a lot cheaper!
----------------------------------
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Current Bodies:
Canon 1Dx
Canon R3
Canon R5

Sold Bodies:
Canon 350D
Canon 1DMk3
Canon 5D
Canon 1Dx Mk3

Jonathan

Quote from: Forseti on January 26, 2010, 03:02:35 PM
Has anybody actually used/owned, or know of anybody who has, the PocketWizard wireless triggering system and has a view on them - other than expensive of course?

Yes.

I have 4 (one of the old school transmitter/receiver pairs, one pair of transceivers).  They are everything people say - including expensive.

Occasionally one of the transceivers will go into a mood and refuse to work.  Drop the batteries and replace and it's fine for the rest of the day.  Clearly it's faulty but I've never bothered getting it repaired.

I MAY be selling them soon though.  Doing some kit rationalisation and may move to Skyports. ;)  Let me know if you are looking to buy.
It's Guest's round

Hinfrance

Quote from: nickt on January 26, 2010, 07:23:54 PM
I don't have any of my own but used them on a course and they were great compared to the cheaper ones off ebay that worked spasmodically.
Nick

You can now get 'reverse engineered' Chinese versions - RF-602s made by Yongnuo. 2.4ghz, well made. 16 channel and double as two stage camera remotes too. Much cheapness but so far I haven't had a single misfire from the ones I've got. Range is allegedly about 100 metres - I've tested mine from about 50 just to see if they still worked and they did. But then my Yongnuo PT-04s (there are lots of worse made versions out there, I'd owned some in the past) have never misfired either . . .

Of course with the cheap and cheerfuls there is no warranty backup at all. And they cannot take firmware updates like PWs which I understand now work with TTL too. And they don't have fraction of the features that Skyports or PWs have.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Rick Wilks

Quote from: Jonathan on January 27, 2010, 07:51:33 AM
Quote from: Forseti on January 26, 2010, 03:02:35 PM

Yes.

I have 4 (one of the old school transmitter/receiver pairs, one pair of transceivers).  They are everything people say - including expensive.

Occasionally one of the transceivers will go into a mood and refuse to work.  Drop the batteries and replace and it's fine for the rest of the day.  Clearly it's faulty but I've never bothered getting it repaired.

I MAY be selling them soon though.  Doing some kit rationalisation and may move to Skyports. ;)  Let me know if you are looking to buy.

I'm in the market for some pocketwizards, if nobody else wants them I'd be interested.

Forseti

Thanks for the varying opinions - much appreciated.  :tup:

Quote from: Jonathan on January 27, 2010, 07:51:33 AM
I MAY be selling them soon though.  Doing some kit rationalisation and may move to Skyports. ;)  Let me know if you are looking to buy.

I'll pass this time Jonathan thanks. Rick has expressed an interest though.
Canon 7D,  Canon SX1 IS, EF100 f/2.8 USM Macro, EF70-200 f/4 L IS USM, EF17-40 f/4 L USM, Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM, Canon Speedlite 580EX MkII

"Everyone can take a great picture with digital, the knack is to take two" - David Bailey

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.