• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,414
  • Total Topics: 5,707
  • Online today: 114
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 103
  • Total: 103
7ds
Microphone Arm,Aokeo AK-4...Sennheiser Profile USB Mi...Temu £100 Coupon bundle o...Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...

Windows 10

Started by Reinardina, July 24, 2015, 07:32:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hinfrance

Quote from: WillyP on August 10, 2015, 03:48:57 PM
My son just reverted his... he said W10 was 'boring'. Oh, and it broke a number of things, like he couldn't choose the correct resolution, which made everything look wonky. I told him to reinstall the correct drivers, but that didn't work because the install window was half off the screen and couldn't be moved.

I'm sticking with W7 for a while longer!

:uglystupid2:

The resolution issue has been noted to occur if there was more than one monitor profile. When my MS friend was here last week he sorted it out for one of the other house guests who was having a similar problem. No idea how he did it, I wasn't watching. Clearly something they should have spotted before launch.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

jinky

I`ve a few local contacts who were happy for 2/3 days then found their hard drive partitioned into 3, lost admin rights and getting into messes with drivers. I will be sticking with windows 7

Karen

Been running it for a week now with no issues

SimonW

Having gone from Windows 7 a week or so back I must admit I like it a great deal. It all seems to work fine for all the normal things I usually do including photo editing, web site maintenance and so on, better and faster than before.

BUT in my case it has one very major problem which I didn't immediately notice. I can't solve it and it looks like I'll need to take my PC back to as originally supplied by the manufacturer, which means days if not weeks of work to get all my Apps back, and all the upgrades since then. The problem is that I can find no way of adding new accounts or editing existing ones. All the various methods which should do are either not present or greyed out, or just do nothing. I can't even add the first account to the new Mail app. The two accounts I had previously appeared to carry over OK, and are clearly shown as Administrator accounts, but I suspect they are not, and have very limited functions.

Of course, it might be some time before I really need to do these things, but I think I need to fix this before I need it in a hurry. I guess my problem is quite uncommon - there's very little chatter on the net concerning problems with the upgrade - so don't let it put anyone else off moving to 10.

Simon
Simon Warren
(in Dunning, Scotland)

Hinfrance

Simon - before you go through that horror story, perhaps, just perhaps, installing Windows Shell might give you access to the lost accounts - also, of course, try putting in a support request to MS themselves.

Windows Shell How To
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

hssutton

I have one problem and at the moment unable to rectify the problem, even with help from computer forums. Put simply since the the release of W10 my card readers will not work, but worked perfectly OK before the general release.
My internal reader is connected direct to a USB header on the motherboard. There are three such headers for USB 2 and one for USB 3. All my USB ports work OK. Now the interesting or maybe I should say the annoying part.
If I shut down the PC and move the connection from one header to another my reader works OK until shutdown. On restart it fails to work again. Shut down and move the connection to  a different header, restart and the reader works. Now this problem only started with the release of W10 and unfortunately it also affects W10. Control panel shows the reader to be working correctly. I've tried a second internal reader with the same result, I've also tried an external reader, with the same result.
If anyone can come up remedy it would be much appreciated.
One final point if I connect my camera in a USB port on the card reader it works OK, But it's quite a fiddly job connecting the Canon 7D11.

Mick

Quote from: hssutton on August 12, 2015, 01:12:57 PM
I have one problem and at the moment unable to rectify the problem, even with help from computer forums. Put simply since the the release of W10 my card readers will not work, but worked perfectly OK before the general release.
My internal reader is connected direct to a USB header on the motherboard. There are three such headers for USB 2 and one for USB 3. All my USB ports work OK. Now the interesting or maybe I should say the annoying part.
If I shut down the PC and move the connection from one header to another my reader works OK until shutdown. On restart it fails to work again. Shut down and move the connection to  a different header, restart and the reader works. Now this problem only started with the release of W10 and unfortunately it also affects W10. Control panel shows the reader to be working correctly. I've tried a second internal reader with the same result, I've also tried an external reader, with the same result.
If anyone can come up remedy it would be much appreciated.
One final point if I connect my camera in a USB port on the card reader it works OK, But it's quite a fiddly job connecting the Canon 7D11.

Harry, You probably already done this.

Do you know what make the card reader is, a Realtek ? See if the manufacturer has any new win 10 drivers for it.  Also check the site by your PC manufacturer, and see if they have any updated drivers.

Thank You, "Guest" For Reading This Post.

My Gallery
Tinyportal.net Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0
Guitarist Guild Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0
The Garden Machinery Forum Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0

OpenSea

deetus

I'm just looking forward to windows9  :legit:

hssutton

[/quote]

Harry, You probably already done this.

Do you know what make the card reader is, a Realtek ? See if the manufacturer has any new win 10 drivers for it.  Also check the site by your PC manufacturer, and see if they have any updated drivers.
[/quote]

Mick the PC is a self build with the card reader being a generic one and relies on microsoft drivers. I'm guessing here, but I think the drivers supplied in W10 are the problem. I have just done something I should have done earlier and that is get the reader working ok in W7. On shuting down the PC and restarting a number of times booting back into W7 I have no problem. So booted from W10 and the problem is back again. Obviously this is a driver problem, so will just have to see if Microsoft get their fingers out and resolve the driver problems that people are suffering. It's a pity as I really like W10

Oldboy

You can reload the old drivers manually. Go into control panel, Select Hardware and sound, click device manager, click USB Controllers, right click card reader and select properties, select the driver tab and click Update driver, select Browse my computer for driver software. Just point it where you have stored the old drivers.  :tup:

spinner

Quote from: jinky on August 11, 2015, 04:02:47 PM
I`ve a few local contacts who were happy for 2/3 days then found their hard drive partitioned into 3, lost admin rights and getting into messes with drivers. I will be sticking with windows 7

I guess part of the issue is the age of the PC they're updating. My hard drive has exactly the same number of partitions it had before. I agree my admin account isn't visible, but I'm sure it's still there, just haven't bothered looking for a fix.

I've installed on 2 reasonably new PC's without issues. My old laptop on the other hand was a pain. But it's running Win10 now.
And more, much more than this, I did it my way
Ol' blue eyes

http://ddsdigita4.wix.com/ddsdigital
https://www.flickr.com/photos/spin498/

spinner

Quote from: Oldboy on August 12, 2015, 11:05:28 PM
You can reload the old drivers manually. Go into control panel, Select Hardware and sound, click device manager, click USB Controllers, right click card reader and select properties, select the driver tab and click Update driver, select Browse my computer for driver software. Just point it where you have stored the old drivers.  :tup:

I've found that generally, after an upgrade, I can find the drivers inside the Windows.old/Windows/System32 folder.
And more, much more than this, I did it my way
Ol' blue eyes

http://ddsdigita4.wix.com/ddsdigital
https://www.flickr.com/photos/spin498/

Reinardina

On CC the 'spell check' button does not work anymore.

And when I download photos from my memory card into Elements 11, I always used to wipe them from the card, but now it tells me, they can't be wiped as they are protected. They are not and I format the card in the camera now.

Can these things be linked with Windows 10?

Beauty is bought by judgment of the eye.
Shakespeare. (Love's Labours Lost.)

hssutton

Quote from: Oldboy on August 12, 2015, 11:05:28 PM
Agreed and that's what I have been doing, but W10 is overwriting them on boot-up. Last evening as per usual prior to boot-up I swapped over the card reader from one hub to another, but this time I booted into W7, I restarted W7 a number of times and the reader worked perfectly. Booted into W10 reader worked, rebooted W10 reader shows as working Ok in 'My PC' and control panel, but does not see the card that's inserted. Re-boot into  W7 again reader is not working, shut down swap over the hub connection and again W7 see's the reader and card.

With regards to my PC this is my own build and the card reader is a generic one that uses MS drivers. As an 'Insider' I've been using W10 for quite some time and all was good, that is until the day before the general release when I recieved my copy. Immediately I had problems with drivers, in most cases installing the correct drivers (from my motherboard DVD) corrected the problem leaving me with the Nvidia one, which was corrected by MS within a couple of days and of course the present card reader problem.

Hinfrance

Quote from: Reinardina on August 13, 2015, 09:10:09 AM
On CC the 'spell check' button does not work anymore.

And when I download photos from my memory card into Elements 11, I always used to wipe them from the card, but now it tells me, they can't be wiped as they are protected. They are not and I format the card in the camera now.

Can these things be linked with Windows 10?

My card reader started doing this randomly some months ago. Sometimes it is really really slow reading cards too. But the USB port works OK. Sometimes it works. Who knows? I tried to buy a new one, but the connecting leads were all too short to reach my motherboard.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.