• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,412
  • Total Topics: 5,705
  • Online today: 40
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 36
  • Total: 36
  • Baidu (2)
millets
Temu £100 Coupon bundle o...Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning Resources

18th birthday

Started by nickt, September 08, 2010, 10:16:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nickt

My daughter has volunteered me to do the photography at her friend's 18th birthday party. It will be held in a hall above a pub. I did a shoot for my great nephew's christening is similar room conditions. I used mainly my 35mm f/1.8 and sb800 flash. The results came out o.k. I just needed to adjust the white balance slightly in post production. I'm going to take the 35mm again with a 18-50mm f/2.8. I've now got a Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 and was wondering whether I should take that aswell. I don't know if there'll be much room to stand back using the Sigma or should I just stick with the other two lenses. I wonder if wedding 'togs use the 70-200mm inside at the reception or just stick with 24-70mm because of the space limitations. Obviously it would be great for candids, but with a load of 18 year olds jumping up and down in front of you, I'm not sure. Anyone else done somethingt similar?

Nick

picsfor

i recently done a triple birthday party thing, 2x80 + 1x85 year olds.
It was a mixture of indoor and outdoor, and the only 2 lenses got used were the 24-105 (mainly) and 17-40 (inside groups).
The 70-200 was in the car boot, but i didn't really expect to need it.

I don't even think the 24-105 got used at the 105 end, probably topped out at about 70-80mm. Found it more than adequate for what i was doing.
Stick with what you know - experiment on the kids  :tup:

jinky

I`d have thought you`d be shooting wider mosy of the time but depends on size of hall and structure of event. I`ve used my Siggy 70-200  at weddingsand events for speeches / portraits of the main subjecy / awards recipients and it`s been great. Why not get the general ones you need and then slap on the 70-200 at a key point for a while.

Jonathan

What's the minimum focus distance on the 70 - 200?  What's the length of the room?  Comparing the numbers may help here.

70 - 200s can be very very effective in a crowd but they can also be very frustrating.  You'll spend the night watching people cross the path between lens and subject.  With care and luck it can be awesome but a short lens is a much more reliable in room weapon.

Most of my favourite crazy kids dancing pictures were shot wide rather than long.  14 - 24 + flash + chair will get the job done ;)  Mind you, so would a phone.
It's Guest's round

nickt

Thanks for the replies. I've not seen the venue so I think I'll go with the two shorter lenses as everything will probably have to be shot wide. The 70-200m is a bloody heavy lens to carry around if I'm not going to use it! Thanks again.

Nick

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.