• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,411
  • Total Topics: 5,704
  • Online today: 136
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 108
  • Total: 108
aliexpress
Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning ResourcesPhotography and Time of D...

CHAT - THE ORTON EFFECT - Competition 16 - 24 July 2016

Started by oggalily, July 16, 2016, 02:20:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oggalily

This is the CHAT thread

The entries thread is HERE

This week's theme is "The Orton Effect".  It's a technique where two similar are images are blended, one blurry and one sharp, for a distinctive effect.  It can be done in-camera or easily in Photoshop with any image from your library.

A few examples are here.

There are several tutorials out there but this one looks good:
http://photography.tutsplus.com/tutorials/creating-the-orton-effect-in-photoshop--cms-21902

No restrictions on PP.

Pictures to be taken preferably between now and Sunday 24th July 2016, 23:59, or enter one from your Personal / Camera Cranium Archives if you prefer.
Pictures to be posted in the entries thread no later than 23:59pm Monday 25th July 2016.
Poll will be up Tuesday 26th July 2016.
Winner to be announced Saturday 30th July 2016.

The Rules for the weekly competition are...

By entering you agree to take responsibility to

Post a topic on the Sunday (or sooner) following your declared win
Create an entries thread
Create a chat thread
Create a poll for that weeks comp and declare the winner on the Saturday
(if for any reason there is a problem and no subject is posted by the winner by Monday night admin will advise second place winner to post the topic asap, do the poll etc)

In case of a tie, the first entry posted (or earliest archive shot if applicable) wins.

DigiDiva

Please visit my website @ www.sunderlandwallart.com

Simple

Each to his own, I never been a big fan of Orton effect and similar images. The ethereal look is just something that does not appeal to me. But I can see why some people like it. I enjoyed the challenge to do something outside my comfort zone, but I am not very proud of the result. LOL

Reinardina

As you say, each to his own. It is a dreamy picture, that will undoubtedly appeal to some.
I haven't had time to experiment, but I have some Orton Effect shots, somewhere, that I might dig out.

Beauty is bought by judgment of the eye.
Shakespeare. (Love's Labours Lost.)

Hinfrance

I shall do one tomorrow it really only takes a few minutes to do. I'll probably write an action in Photoshop for it while I'm at it.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

DigiDiva

Fun to do and a new 'technique' under my belt.

Orton's Autumn

Please visit my website @ www.sunderlandwallart.com

Hinfrance

Here's mine. I did one of some sunflowers too, but the dreamy effect seems to me to work better with a 50 year old car shot.

Mustang 65:

Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

oggalily

My entry feels overprocessed but I figured if I reined it in it wouldn't really be "Orton"!

Best buds:

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.