• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,415
  • Total Topics: 5,708
  • Online today: 55
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 42
  • Total: 42
Wish
RØDE NT1 Signature Series...Microphone Arm,Aokeo AK-4...Sennheiser Profile USB Mi...Temu £100 Coupon bundle o...Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....

Dilemma.

Started by eysha, May 18, 2012, 11:39:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

eysha

I would like a new camera, not necessarily a DSLR though as i am open to suggestions.
I want, in no particular order, just as they come to mind, a good long zoom range, very good quality photos, not interested in video mode as i never use it, not expensive to keep up with as in the add on lenses etc, easy to use, lightweight, an improvement on my panny fz38, very quick to take shots, a good all rounder and things i cannot think of at the moment, lol.
I like to (try) to take wildlife so quick is important, not too many bells and whistles as i don't use them.
What is your suggestion and why? I am still looking at all kinds of cameras and did think a DSLR would be good and even asked about them too but maybe i am missing something by being narrow minded on a DSLR which i am going off due to expense so a mid range priced camera.
There are way to many on the market now and while it ends up being personal preference expert guidance is greatly appreciated and there are so many experts here i decided to ask - well i was told i could ask anything, lol.
Please visit my site at
www.ThekavanaghCollection.co.uk

SimonW

Sounds very like the car I want: a large 4x4 which fits inside my tiny garage, a sporty two-seater with room for all the family and their luggage, very cheap and extremely luxurious, it says "look at me" without attracting attention and is very fast but won't set off speed cameras.......
Simon Warren
(in Dunning, Scotland)

eysha

But there is a big difference between the camera i want and your tiny garage. lol.
Please visit my site at

Oldboy

Quote from: eysha on May 18, 2012, 10:09:53 PM
But there is a big difference between the camera i want and your tiny garage. lol.

You mean you want a large camera.  :P

Hinfrance

Quote from: eysha on May 18, 2012, 10:09:53 PM

But very little in the disparate dichotomies of the characteristics you are looking for. What Simon is saying (rather eloquently, I thought) is that your requirements are rather unachievable - neither fish nor fowl as it were.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

ABERS

Is it Groundhog Day?  :)

Reinardina

Beauty is bought by judgment of the eye.
Shakespeare. (Love's Labours Lost.)

michaelb104

Eysha have a look at the compact camera systems, they should give you most of what you want but you will have to have video.
Mike

My Flickr   .   My Fluidr

jinky

On a bridge the Fuji X-S1er  looks the pick of the bunch but costs as much as a lower end dslr

Hinfrance

TBH jinky I'm thinking about saving up for one of those - they seem quite an attractive proposition - apart from the price :)

But then I have just discovered that the EXR function of the HS20 can be 'forced' in P,S,A and M modes, so I am investigating how well that works.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

eysha

ABERS and R, am i boring you? My apologies if i am but remember you both seem to have the camera you want and i am still looking. I was told i could ask questions and you don't have to read my posts. lol. :)

Perhaps if i change the question without starting a new thread. ::)

WHAT SHOULD I LOOK FOR/ WHAT ARE THE MAIN FEATURES TO LOOK  FOR WHEN BUY A CAMERA? ;)

(not shouting, just making this a new heading so i know what i am doing when i go to buy a camera. It has to last forever so i cannot afford to make a mistake lol.) :)

Hope the change of title is better R and Abbers.

Hinfrance - what does this mean? 'But then I have just discovered that the EXR function of the HS20 can be 'forced' in P,S,A and M modes, so I am investigating how well that works.'
Thanks for reading folks. All help welcome.
Please visit my site at

donoreo

Reinardina

Beauty is bought by judgment of the eye.
Shakespeare. (Love's Labours Lost.)

Matthew

Hi Eyesha, I have a fuji s200exr which is decent, but it's getting on for a couple of years old now. Had no trouble with it though. My first camera was a Fuji s9600, had that out in all weathers before I had to put it in for it's first repair after 4yrs of constant use (usb port became detached inside the body and shorted out the main power board). If you don't want to venture into fully fledged DSLR, then Fuji's are robust and reliable. They also are more geared toward the bridge market, so you might find one thats more suited to your needs.

I am looking toward the DSLRs' for my next venture, just purely because I've found myself in situations where I couldn't get a decent shot because my fixed lens wasn't up to the job. For example, I was trying to photograph Tornado Fighter jets doing aerial manouevres, but I couldn't achieve a fast enough shutter speed/focus to capture them sharp. Also birdlife when trying to capture them in mid flight.

Never argue with a stupid person, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

eysha

Thanks Highlandscenic, i appreciate your time on this and i have the same problem in a slow camera trying to capture fast moving wildlife etc so i understand why you want a DSLR. I am sure you understand whey i do too now, lol. If you find anything goo please let me know - thanks. E.
Please visit my site at

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.