• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,411
  • Total Topics: 5,704
  • Online today: 297
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 157
  • Total: 157
aliexpress
Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning ResourcesPhotography and Time of D...

Model release form / public photography

Started by Jediboy, January 12, 2020, 03:59:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jediboy

Hi,

Does anyone here have a good knowledge of model release forms/photography in public?
Its something that has popped up for discussion at work and I'm trying to find some clarity.

I have googled this subject and done some reading, although many articles are peoples own take on the matter.

It seems that if people are in public, they can take photos of people and buildings, and can use them for journalistic or artistic material. Using a persons photo for a commercial purpose requires the person to sign a model release form.

I think this, although a simple view, is about right.

Any thoughts or knowledge from anyone here?
Cheers

Chris
May the Force be with you.

Chris

Beaux Reflets

Here in France, as I understand it; It is breaking the Law to publish any image of a 'recognise-able nature' of a person or people without signed Model release forms (regardless of any commercial aspects).
:beer: Andy

"Light anchors things in place and gives perspective meaning."

The choices we make are rooted in reflection.

http://beauxreflets.blogspot.com/

jinky

Different in the UK to France. If people and you are on public property you can take pictures - as long as they`re not indecent! This link pretty much sumarises the position in the UK. https://www.blpawards.org/competition/photo-rights

The issue it misses is that if you take an image that might represent a person in a bad light or add  text or commentary that might do so lays you open to a lawsuit. An example I remember is a guy that was shot through a cafe window sitting under a poster about rapists. He sued the photographer successfully and the 2ndary issue coming up was whether he had permission to shoot cafe interior. The legal case was won on the association with the poster though. The other problem is that it is not always obvious which places are indeed public. I think the gherkin in London has copyright on its building even when  shooting exterior from the pavement and I know that the main square in Leeds that accommodates most public events is deemed a private place as they quietly removed the right of passage across it and require model release forms to be used for all photography in such as the German market, parades etc. 

anglefire

You can't take pictures of military buildings and airfields unless permission is granted as far as I recall - obviously air shows thats a given.

Trafalgar Square is another one - at least for commercial use.

If shooting someone commercially (with a release) and you have the "public" in the background, you don't have to get everyone to sign a release as that would be impracticable - but if they are distinguishable and are prominent in the image then its a good idea to clear it - but I don't think it is technically a legality.
----------------------------------
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Current Bodies:
Canon 1Dx
Canon R3
Canon R5

Sold Bodies:
Canon 350D
Canon 1DMk3
Canon 5D
Canon 1Dx Mk3

anglefire

I should also say in the UK there is no right to privacy - you can take pictures of people on private land from public land and they can't do anything about it - unless you are using very long lenses and effectively are spying (AFAIK!)- for private none commercial use at least
----------------------------------
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Current Bodies:
Canon 1Dx
Canon R3
Canon R5

Sold Bodies:
Canon 350D
Canon 1DMk3
Canon 5D
Canon 1Dx Mk3

Jediboy

Thanks for the replies. Some good points.
I am on the right track mostly. Found some good stuff online but some can be slightly contradictory.

It can get a bit murky around the issue of public vs private place, as in some public areas are in fact private. Shopping centres for example.

I had read that you can expect 'right to privacy' if you are in private, but will check up on this.

Thanks again for the replies, makes interesting reading.
May the Force be with you.

Chris

Hinfrance

Quote from: Beaux Reflets on January 12, 2020, 04:46:03 PM
Here in France, as I understand it; It is breaking the Law to publish any image of a 'recognise-able nature' of a person or people without signed Model release forms (regardless of any commercial aspects).

It's a bit more complicated than that Andy. The same rule about crowds applies, allowed, and in addition public figures going about their duties and any public event. Things like graffiti are deemed to be copyright of the creator (insane) as are the exteriors of buildings (also insane).

But, it's France, so basically the rules are ignored. At my camera club we have a retired ex Paris press photographer who takes pictures of anything and anyone he likes. If you are taking photos to sell then use the model release forms, otherwise, basically just ask people if you want to take and use their photos, and unless they are professional models who quite rightly would want to be paid, most people have a bit of vanity in their bones and feel flattered :)
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.