• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,411
  • Total Topics: 5,704
  • Online today: 178
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 177
  • Total: 177
Wish
Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning ResourcesPhotography and Time of D...

Macro Lenses

Started by jimthetrain, July 29, 2009, 10:34:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimthetrain

As a few of us have them, I was wondering how you cope with shooting outdoor macro shots and whether you have any individual tips to share. I'm finding that shooting that close to a subject outside is almost impossible hand held to keep the subject in focus. ie bugs on flowers etc. due to conditions. Even a tripod wouldn't help that much because things move. Inside is different for still subjects as a tripod does the trick and all you have to worry about is depth of field and lighting conditions.  ;D Any thoughts???

jim
BOOZE!!! Helping ugly people have sex.

Alfonso_Frisk

I have never taken a shot outdoors which is even half decent. Like you say the movement no matter how slight just kills it for me. I have tried putting a box around things to prevent breeze etc but you loose light etc.
I just snip a flower off now and go indoors and shoot with my portable studio and have a play with light, flash and reflectors.

Alf
http://www.fluidr.com/photos/nosmo_king2007
http://www.seateamimages.com/search.php
Wine improves with age, The older I get the more I like it.

Mick

Do what I do. 

Crank up the ISO so you can get a decent shutter speed.  About f/11 Take bloody loads of shots, your bound to find a sharp one in there.  Dump the bad ones. ;)

Most of my stuff is outside, and all hand held.
Thank You, "Guest" For Reading This Post.

My Gallery
Tinyportal.net Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0
Guitarist Guild Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0
The Garden Machinery Forum Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0

OpenSea

stevebedder

Practically all my macro shots are outside, hand held on manual focus. A lot of the time I'll have my flash hooked up.

Like Mick said, take loads of shots and crank up the ISO so you can increase shutter speed, I also hold my breath when shooting for some reason as I find it keeps me a little steadier.

I also get myself into some bizzarre contorted positions to get as stable as possible. It usually means kneeling or lieing on the floor. I carry a blanket with me for when it is wet\muddy.

Having a good macro lens also helps hugely.

HTH

Steve

jimthetrain

Its not the shutter speed or iso that bothers me really, its how the slightest movement takes it out of focus. Just keep pressing the shutter might get a sharp one I suppose. Just keep trying I think. ::)
BOOZE!!! Helping ugly people have sex.

Mick

If it's windy at all and things are moving about then it's a case of pot luck I'm afraid.  You could try fixing things with wire (plants I mean) not insects.  :D  Or use a plamp.

Manual focus (centre point), and rock yourself back and forth to get focus.   I can say with confidence, you more you take the better you get..  You could even try using a monopod if the situation suites.
Thank You, "Guest" For Reading This Post.

My Gallery
Tinyportal.net Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0
Guitarist Guild Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0
The Garden Machinery Forum Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0

OpenSea

Oldboy

Quote from: jimthetrain on July 29, 2009, 08:51:21 PM
Its not the shutter speed or iso that bothers me really, its how the slightest movement takes it out of focus. Just keep pressing the shutter might get a sharp one I suppose. Just keep trying I think. ::)
Had the same problem yesterday with quite a strong wind. I use spot and focus on the subject, if the plant is moved by the wind before I take the shot, I wait until it stops moving, then take three or four quick shots. Most insects will stay there, but butterflies tend to fly off, so it can be irksome, to say the least. In fact this July has been the windiest for many years.  >:(
What you can do is find a spot behind some trees which can provide a wind break. You might still get some movement but it will be greatly reduced.  :tup:

stevebedder

Keeps some clothes pegs in your camera bag too as they come in handy to steady things that are being blown about.

Steve

Zenmer

I take all my macro picutres outdoors, as Oldboy says if it is windy you just keep ther camera on the subect and shoot quick when the wind lulls for a few seconds  :)
My honest opinion, and remember I'm new to this on digitsal, is that is more about light and getting a small aperture for depth of field then anything, I have had good advice on this.
I use an SB800 flash wired & on and extender bringing it right to the front of the lens (nikon 105) this allows me to use and ISO of either 100 or 200 and maintain an aperture of around 18 with ashutterspeed of 20o/250
Just an quick example:

Two things are infinite : the universe and human stupidity; I'm not sure about the universe

greypoint

Zenmer

Two things are infinite : the universe and human stupidity; I'm not sure about the universe

Oldboy

Cracking shot Zenmer.  :tup:
Don't use a flash as the D3 can manage without on most occasions. Usually set the Aperture between F11 to F22 and let the camera handle the rest. It's easier to have direct sunlight on the subject, as it will reduce the ISO used by the camera. Very seldom switch to manual mode, but might adjust the focus before taking the shot.  ;D

Zenmer

Cheers Oldboy  :)
With a shot as close as the wasp I find that I am in my own light, so can cast a shadow on the subject making direct sunlight not an option,
plus a flash can help to freeze any slight movement and down here we often have heavy ckloud cover.  Not a problerm as the bugs aren't as lively when ity's a bit cooler  ;)

Oldboy

Quote from: Zenmer on August 01, 2009, 07:05:22 PM
Cheers Oldboy  :)
With a shot as close as the wasp I find that I am in my own light, so can cast a shadow on the subject making direct sunlight not an option,
plus a flash can help to freeze any slight movement and down here we often have heavy ckloud cover.  Not a problerm as the bugs aren't as lively when ity's a bit cooler  ;)
That's why I use a 1.4 or 2 converter on mine, so I can stand back a bit and not block the sunlight.  :tup:

Oldboy

Had a email from Warehouse Express about the new Canon 100mm Marco with IS. Shame it's £999.99 or over £400 dearer than Nikons!  :(

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.