• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,411
  • Total Topics: 5,704
  • Online today: 297
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 69
  • Total: 69
photobox
Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning ResourcesPhotography and Time of D...

tiffs

Started by nickt, November 18, 2009, 12:23:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oly Paul

Quote from: oRGie on November 22, 2009, 11:42:18 PM
Interesting reading for sure..   Just a thought to throw in the mix, if canon and nikon decided to play ball and adopt either DNG or the option of it in Cam, would having a standard file format for raw actually limit the technology from moving forward ?  if canon and nikon are spending bucks on r&d to improve picture quality in line with their hardware technology improving could something like this lead to less advances ?   Perhaps r&d in canon and nikon are being innovative, whereas adobe are reactionist ?

If that were the case and the camera makers raw software gave so much better quality conversions then everyone would be using it. But you only have to go on the photo forums including here and what you hear most to the question which raw converter do you use is Lightroom or CS4!

As Jonathan said its hard to hold DNG up as the gold standard just because it is Adobe, but it is getting there, nearly every image browser supports it, raw converters like Capture One, Silkypix Pro and ACDSE PRo3 just to name the ones I have used support it. :)
Regards Paul
One day I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am.

http://www.pbase.com/paulsilkphotography

Forseti

Oly wrote:
If that were the case and the camera makers raw software gave so much better quality conversions then everyone would be using it. But you only have to go on the photo forums including here and what you hear most to the question which raw converter do you use is Lightroom or CS4!

That's not entirely true of course, or at least my understanding/interpretation of what I have been reading on various forums is somewhat different. My understanding (and also personal experience) is that Canon's own software (DPP) produces far better results straight out of the box when compared to Adobe's ACR. Where it does fall down is the 'extras' provided by ACR such as the TAT and Brush tools (to name but two) which makes using ACR/Photoshop/Lightroom overall far more convenient. DPP has become increasingly better over the years and if Canon would/could only expand upon it a bit I feel sure even more users would remain with it. Let's face it, and taking only the RAW converter into consideration, when one considers what one pays for Photoshop (ACR) when compared to the FREE offerings of Canon it really is no contest.
Canon 7D,  Canon SX1 IS, EF100 f/2.8 USM Macro, EF70-200 f/4 L IS USM, EF17-40 f/4 L USM, Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM, Canon Speedlite 580EX MkII

"Everyone can take a great picture with digital, the knack is to take two" - David Bailey

picsfor

Quote from: Forseti on November 28, 2009, 11:11:57 AM
My understanding (and also personal experience) is that Canon's own software (DPP) produces far better results straight out of the box when compared to Adobe's ACR.

That was previously the case - but LR2 matches it comfortably now hence i use it so much - because as you say, it has the better processing tools.
But if we are looking at value, no, the Canon stuff can not be touched - for a freeby it is excellent and was my main stay until LR2 came about.

I would not be concerned if i had to use it again...

Jonathan

Quote from: Oly Paul on November 28, 2009, 08:49:30 AM

Yes but......quality of output isn't always the main driver.  Right now I believe that the best quality converter for Nikon neffs is Capture NX 2.  DxO Optics is probably a close second (or may have edged into the lead with the latest version - I haven't tried it).  But I don't use them.  I don't like the interface and find them pretty slow.  By comparison, Lightroom lets me fly through edits.  It's also tightly integrated with Photoshop and supported by a huge user community.  If I get stuck with something then there are hundreds of blogs and forums to consult as well as people writing cool and useful addons.

Other people prefer Aperture and use that for the exact same reasons.  Very few people actually run proper tests (or even read them if they can find them) to determine what gives best quality.
It's Guest's round

anglefire

Its an interesting strategy by Canon - their software is actually very good - and I know alot of togs use it in preference to anything else - compared to Nikon who give a cut down version of their software free - and from what I've read, its not that good (Considering the cost of the paid version!) But I will be slapped down, cos it is only what I've read!  ::)
----------------------------------
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Current Bodies:
Canon 1Dx
Canon R3
Canon R5

Sold Bodies:
Canon 350D
Canon 1DMk3
Canon 5D
Canon 1Dx Mk3

Oly Paul

Quote from: Forseti on November 28, 2009, 11:11:57 AM
Oly wrote:

My understanding (and also personal experience) is that Canon's own software (DPP) produces far better results straight out of the box when compared to Adobe's ACR. Where it does fall down is the 'extras' provided by ACR such as the TAT and Brush tools (to name but two) which makes using ACR/Photoshop/Lightroom overall far more convenient.

If that is the case then why not use it to just develop the raw then use CS4 to do everything else that can be done in LR which CS4 is more than capable of and proberly better at and get the best of both worlds, or is that the conviniance outweighs ultimate image quality?  In my case Olympus Master is a abismal raw converter so it was a no brainer for me.  :)

Off course it could still be said that there are still real benefits for the modular, three pronged approach to a photographers' workflow. When someone builds a better mousetrap you can update that component, be it a faster Image Browser, better RAW Converter, or more efficient Cataloguing application. ;)

Regards Paul
One day I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am.

http://www.pbase.com/paulsilkphotography

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.