• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,411
  • Total Topics: 5,704
  • Online today: 136
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 134
  • Total: 134
  • Google
parkcameras
Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning ResourcesPhotography and Time of D...

Photoshop subscription

Started by Jediboy, May 15, 2020, 11:06:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

anglefire

Absolutely it is horses for courses!

I rarely use layers - masks in Lightroom do 90% of what I do with my images - I don't have the time to mess generally - even now in these weird times!

QuoteRAW previews load quickly, but jpgs can take ages (I've noticed this in LR too - sometimes they don't resolve at all in LR - possibly my graphics card).

Graphics card or memory - though you would expect the RAW to be more intensive than Jpegs.
----------------------------------
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Current Bodies:
Canon 1Dx
Canon R3
Canon R5

Sold Bodies:
Canon 350D
Canon 1DMk3
Canon 5D
Canon 1Dx Mk3

Jediboy

Quote from: StephenBatey on May 18, 2020, 04:39:36 PM
In Brighton, there's a lifesize black cat sculpture about 20 feet up on the corner of a light coloured building. It's probably visible in Google streetview (Old Steine at the Palace Pier end, near to Pool Valley, west side of the building). I have a digital photo of it, taken from below, so think sky on one side of the frame, light cream building on the other, and centre stage a black cat that's just a silhouette in the out of camera jpg. Using the raw version it's clear that full detail is there, no mean feat with a shiny black onject.

Raw is well worth using if you have extreme conditions. Or just want to be able to underexpose a bit to preserve highlight details (which are often available as well). If you can retain both you can use raw as insurance.

Have fun, and keep healthy.

I couldn't find the cat on Google Street View.
May the Force be with you.

Chris

Jediboy

Well my first foray into LR hasn't been a success. Each time I open it up on my Mac, its suffered permission issues and I can't do anything. I have tried to fix it via a google search, but haven't yet found the right solution. Hopefully I can put this right soon.
Photoshop has been more of a success. In many respects its not hugely different to PSE, just seems offer a lot more.
I clearly have an awful lot to learn, but positive about this. (At the moment!!! :uglystupid2:)

Chris

Hinfrance

Quote from: anglefire on May 21, 2020, 06:28:01 PM

QuoteRAW previews load quickly, but jpgs can take ages (I've noticed this in LR too - sometimes they don't resolve at all in LR - possibly my graphics card).

Graphics card or memory - though you would expect the RAW to be more intensive than Jpegs.

That's what I would have thought too. Very odd that larger files that require interpreting open instantly in both apps, but jpgs can take an age. It does only seem to be LR and ON1 though, ACDSee opens everything really quickly.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Hinfrance

Quote from: Jediboy on May 21, 2020, 06:57:06 PM
Well my first foray into LR hasn't been a success. Each time I open it up on my Mac, its suffered permission issues and I can't do anything. I have tried to fix it via a google search, but haven't yet found the right solution. Hopefully I can put this right soon.
Photoshop has been more of a success. In many respects its not hugely different to PSE, just seems offer a lot more.
I clearly have an awful lot to learn, but positive about this. (At the moment!!! :uglystupid2:)

Re LR, I'm sure there must be a solution out there. With LR6 on Windows I sometimes get 'server is busy' when trying to open. The CC version is OK. When you get it going watch out for the print module - whoever is responsible for that should be put on tea making duty for the rest of their career  :knuppel2:

Photoshop really is the best editing app out there in very many ways, but in a few it's a bit of a dinosaur. A few examples - best blend if controls, best luminosity masking capabilities, superb actions, awful clunky frequency separation and basic dehazing. Excellent selection tools, interface looking very old fashioned now.

Anyway, enough of my wittering, you'll find your own way and have a huge amount of fun in doing so. Bon chance!
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Jediboy

I have done a lot of googling and nothing easy/clear. Going to back up my computer to a hard drive and try something that hopefully will work.

Chris

Hinfrance

Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr

StephenBatey

Quote from: Jediboy on May 21, 2020, 06:50:54 PM
Quote from: StephenBatey on May 18, 2020, 04:39:36 PM
In Brighton, there's a lifesize black cat sculpture about 20 feet up on the corner of a light coloured building. It's probably visible in Google streetview (Old Steine at the Palace Pier end, near to Pool Valley, west side of the building). I have a digital photo of it, taken from below, so think sky on one side of the frame, light cream building on the other, and centre stage a black cat that's just a silhouette in the out of camera jpg. Using the raw version it's clear that full detail is there, no mean feat with a shiny black onject.

Raw is well worth using if you have extreme conditions. Or just want to be able to underexpose a bit to preserve highlight details (which are often available as well). If you can retain both you can use raw as insurance.

Have fun, and keep healthy.

I couldn't find the cat on Google Street View.

Hopefully this will show it. I'll admit I had to search back and forth a bit, even knowing where it was.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.8201742,-0.1374827,3a,15y,199.31h,96.7t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sOCvQNVt5BtEqy9_Xmd4AOw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en
Both income tax and lockdowns were introduced as temporary measures by the government.

Jediboy

Brilliant. Thanks, don't think I ever would have found it. :)

Chris

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.