• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,414
  • Total Topics: 5,707
  • Online today: 98
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 72
  • Total: 72
parkcameras
Microphone Arm,Aokeo AK-4...Sennheiser Profile USB Mi...Temu £100 Coupon bundle o...Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...

What made you feel good today

Started by greypoint, August 13, 2009, 10:26:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deetus

Thanks for sharing Andy, some fabulous shots there  :tup:

Sandy

Thanks for the link Andy, they are great I really liked the face book time. I go very year to see the exhibition which has superb images

ABERS

A bit of a chuckle when I saw this

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-29246071

Just goes to show without a plethora of lenses and bodies interesting and entertaining 'fun' images were taken way back.

The picture of the hospital ward jogged my memory of when I was hospitalised for a few days in the 40's. The formality, the regimentation of the scene and above all the gleaming polished floor, and lurking around to pounce on any misbehaviour, was the harridan who was the ward sister! :o

A couple of pics for Reinardina as well, with even then, a kid having a crafty spliff, showing the well known tolerance of the Dutch towards 'recreational' drugs. ;)

Simple

Abers, what a find! Thank you soo much. The pictures of the Dutch people in National Costume are taken in the town I was born in. Middelburg in the province of Zeeland.

Reinardina

Thanks Alan, great images!

Simple, are you a 'Zeeuw'? (Someone born in Zeeland.)

I have to disagree with the term 'National costume' here. I cannot remember photographs of ancestors from this era, wearing this kind of attire. In towns and cities they wore 'normal' Victorian/Edwardian 'town' clothes. You can see this in both photographs; in the top one, there's a woman in a beautiful hat in the back row, and the second picture has a woman on the right is normal town wear.

In some regions and villages, local costumes were worn much longer, and there are still areas where older women wear traditional clothing.

As this photo was taken in Zeeland, where traditional dress was worn much longer, I think the photographer came across a group of ladies from the countryside in their Sunday best. And probably took the photographs for that specific reason.

And the spliff? What can I say? Maybe it was an innocent stroop soldaatje after all. It looks quite impressive though!

Beauty is bought by judgment of the eye.
Shakespeare. (Love's Labours Lost.)

Simple

Yes, I am a zeeuw. I was born in Domburg and had a career in the oilfield with Royal Dutch. After visiting many different countries I came to the UK in 1986. I lived in Aberdeen, Newcastle, Middlesborough, Guisborough, and several places in North Lincolnshire. The dress is normal clothes, worn for market day. The Sunday's best is more ornate. My mother used to wear National Dress like that till she was 30. Today there are still a couple of elderly woman that wear these clothes. Unfortunately less than a handful. On festive days a lot of people will wear these clothes again when they show their horsemanship with "ringrijden" and "sjeesjesrijden". The photo's are dated back to before 1928 and after 1920. That is when the bookshop in one of the pictures changed its name. 

Reinardina

Quote from: Simple on September 24, 2014, 09:25:32 PM
Yes, I am a zeeuw. I was born in Domburg and had a career in the oilfield with Royal Dutch. After visiting many different countries I came to the UK in 1986. I lived in Aberdeen, Newcastle, Middlesborough, Guisborough, and several places in North Lincolnshire. The dress is normal clothes, worn for market day. The Sunday's best is more ornate. My mother used to wear National Dress like that till she was 30. Today there are still a couple of elderly woman that wear these clothes. Unfortunately less than a handful. On festive days a lot of people will wear these clothes again when they show their horsemanship with "ringrijden" and "sjeesjesrijden". The photo's are dated back to before 1928 and after 1920. That is when the bookshop in one of the pictures changed its name.

Thanks for the explanation! I'd never have guessed.   Een Zeeuw op CC. Wonderful.

ABERS

Off to North Norfolk tomorrow for a few days. Promise not to bore you with my holiday snaps of boats on their side in muddy creeks, windmills, reed beds, crabbers, dilapidated groynes, etc.etc. That's not to say I won't be taking some! ;)

You never know I may stumble across something different this time. Hope springs eternal. ::)

Reinardina

Quote from: ABERS on September 27, 2014, 08:49:17 AM
Off to North Norfolk tomorrow for a few days. Promise not to bore you with my holiday snaps of boats on their side in muddy creeks, windmills, reed beds, crabbers, dilapidated groynes, etc.etc. That's not to say I won't be taking some! ;)

You never know I may stumble across something different this time. Hope springs eternal. ::)

I still have to photograph most of the above mentioned. Aren't they part of the 'rite of passage' for any photographer? Like the lone tree and the sunrise/sunset?

Have a good holiday!

Sandy

You never know you might see something new

jinky

I don`t mind seeing some of your shots Alan. I`m sure they`ll not be snaps. Mind you I`m not sure I want to see your "dilapidated groynes"  :D.
I`m excited because I`ve just booked a trip to Cambodia / Vietnam for next  February. Last few weddings this year should cover it for us! Had a few health scares these last few months that seem resolved (at least the big C has been ruled out) that have stopped us doing anything big so it should be wonderful and I`ll get more holiday snaps too. Cornwall and Spain this month first though - life is just one big holiday sometimes!

Reinardina

Quote from: jinky on September 27, 2014, 09:57:06 AM
I don`t mind seeing some of your shots Alan. I`m sure they`ll not be snaps. Mind you I`m not sure I want to see your "dilapidated groynes"  :D.
I`m excited because I`ve just booked a trip to Cambodia / Vietnam for next  February. Last few weddings this year should cover it for us! Had a few health scares these last few months that seem resolved (at least the big C has been ruled out) that have stopped us doing anything big so it should be wonderful and I`ll get more holiday snaps too. Cornwall and Spain this month first though - life is just one big holiday sometimes!

Very good news Paul!

Oldboy

Quote from: jinky on September 27, 2014, 09:57:06 AM

Wasting all that money when you could be buying a super lens?  :P

Cambodia/Vietnam! Isn't that where the USA used Agent Orange?  :'(

jinky

I`ve been really good at resisting lens acquisition syndrome lately. My big issue will be when I stop doing weddings etc do I get rid of it all and buy an XT1 or do I give my D700 a good Nikon service "on the business" and keep hold of it and buy a cheaper / smaller  travel camera for my holiday snaps.

jinky

Last night really. Went to see James Taylor at Leeds First Direct Arena. Brought back memories of my lower / upper 6th years at school  / Uni days. Not quite as good as first time I saw him a few years back in an unplugged, more intimate gig at Newcastle City Hall but superb all the same. Only wished I`d blagged a press pass and gone with my proper gear  :(. Spent the whole of his 20 minute interval sat at the end of the stage signing autographs and posing for selfies with fans on the stage edge.

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.