• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,414
  • Total Topics: 5,707
  • Online today: 98
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 69
  • Total: 69
  • Google
  • Bingbot
photobox
Microphone Arm,Aokeo AK-4...Sennheiser Profile USB Mi...Temu £100 Coupon bundle o...Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...

What made you feel good today

Started by greypoint, August 13, 2009, 10:26:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jinky

Thanks Oldboy. Always a bit puzzled about that "shooting for myself instead of others bit". Like Digidivas signature puzzles me too. I rarely feel I ever shoot what others want to see - I just want to train them that what I saw is what they wanted to see if they could have imagined it   :)

I admit when I did a few hotel shoots I was shooting pretty much to order with my own twist but with weddings it`s like having carte blanche to be as creative as you like. It`s often the venue that limits rather than the bride and groom as apar from a vague shot list which I say is an aspiration I shoot what I see and feel and whilst time is a pressure sometimes it is really rewarding when you work the edits and give them a bit of magic. Even better when you make them cry ( with delight hopefully  ;) ). Just been looking at the venue for that booking next year and its fantastic - really classy so the sky`s the limit for shots  :).

Must admit jealous of that D800 but I need a lottery win first and then I`d get the D4 I guess. :tup:

Oldboy

Quote from: jinky on May 15, 2013, 08:49:41 AM
Thanks Oldboy. Always a bit puzzled about that "shooting for myself instead of others bit". Like Digidivas signature puzzles me too. I rarely feel I ever shoot what others want to see - I just want to train them that what I saw is what they wanted to see if they could have imagined it   :)

When I get up in the morning and look outside and see what the weather is doing, is when I decide what I'm going to shoot and what lenses I'll need. That's what I mean about freedom of what I want to shoot.  8)

Must admit jealous of that D800 but I need a lottery win first and then I`d get the D4 I guess. :tup:

Get the D800 as soon as you can as the detail is astounding including warts and all. It's only £1,925 from Warehouse Express.  :tup:

jinky

Quote from: Oldboy on May 15, 2013, 10:03:12 AM

When I get up in the morning and look outside and see what the weather is doing, is when I decide what I'm going to shoot and what lenses I'll need. That's what I mean about freedom of what I want to shoot.  8)

Get the D800 as soon as you can as the detail is astounding including warts and all. It's only £1,925 from Warehouse Express.  :tup:

Yes I do that too as I "work" 1 day a month if I am lucky - I say lucky, that`s all I want really so that I can go where i please other days - great life after working for years!
As for D800 - file sizes are the issue for me. Just don`t want to get everything else I`d need at this point for the extra storage!

Hinfrance

:o Cripes OB, that's only £75 less than our Mercedes cost. I wouldn't even spent that much money on a bass or six string guitar, and although I enjoy photography, I love music  :dance:
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Karen

Some nice skies and getting out with the camera

Reinardina

Quote from: Karen on May 15, 2013, 04:31:13 PM
Some nice skies and getting out with the camera

Saw your skies; much better than the ones we had!

In my 'position' as (volunteer) park ranger, I dug a trench today. In the rain.
What made me feel good though, was that it looked pretty impressive. (My first ever trench, so far I've only dug post holes.)

Beauty is bought by judgment of the eye.
Shakespeare. (Love's Labours Lost.)

Oldboy

Quote from: jinky on May 15, 2013, 10:54:16 AM
As for D800 - file sizes are the issue for me. Just don`t want to get everything else I`d need at this point for the extra storage!

Dabs.com have the Buffalo 3TB DriveStation USB 2.0 Desktop Hard Drive at £84.99. I brought two some months ago and they work a treat.  :tup:

Quote from: Hinfrance on May 15, 2013, 01:06:17 PM

:o Cripes OB, that's only £75 less than our Mercedes cost. I wouldn't even spent that much money on a bass or six string guitar, and although I enjoy photography, I love music  :dance:

You wouldn't be interested in a 400mm F2.8 VR lens at £6,555 then?  :o :tup:

Hinfrance

I'll take half a dozen. Is there a bulk purchase discount?
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

hssutton

[/quote]

You wouldn't be interested in a 400mm F2.8 VR lens at £6,555 then?  :o :tup:
[/quote]

Talking of lenses, Canon have just saved me a lot of money. I've been waiting and saving for their promised 200-400 plus built in 1.4 extender. They have just confirmed the cost of £12,000.
My wife's been hankering for one of these smart televisions so maybe I'll buy one with my savings :'(

anglefire

I did have a play with the 200-400 and a 1Dx at the focus show - was a fantastic combination, and produced stunning shots - but it is a lot of money and as much as it would be perfect for motorsports, it won't be in my arsenal unless I win the lottery big style ;)

----------------------------------
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Current Bodies:
Canon 1Dx
Canon R3
Canon R5

Sold Bodies:
Canon 350D
Canon 1DMk3
Canon 5D
Canon 1Dx Mk3

Reinardina

Reading about the costs involved if you really want to 'have it all,' I am almost glad I've convinced myself, I won't be able to 'work' a DSLR.

Hinfrance

Quote from: Reinardina on May 16, 2013, 07:57:43 AM
I won't be able to 'work' a DSLR.

Yes you can. Apart from OB and Anglefire (and as Mark says above a lottery win would be a prerequisite to getting everything he wants), no-one on here gets even close to 'having it all'. What we do have though, is just enough. If you get an entry level DSLR and find it doesn't work for you it it won't be difficult to sell. Or would someone at your camera club lend you one for a while to try out?
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr

Reinardina

Quote from: Hinfrance on May 16, 2013, 09:50:25 AM
Quote from: Reinardina on May 16, 2013, 07:57:43 AM
I won't be able to 'work' a DSLR.

Yes you can. Apart from OB and Anglefire (and as Mark says above a lottery win would be a prerequisite to getting everything he wants), no-one on here gets even close to 'having it all'. What we do have though, is just enough. If you get an entry level DSLR and find it doesn't work for you it it won't be difficult to sell. Or would someone at your camera club lend you one for a while to try out?

Haven't found a camera club that is within easy public transport reach yet.

I tried a friend's DSLR and found it impossible to focus manually (I can only get the general picture in a viewfinder, no sharp detail at all), and the autofocus was rather slow. Also the changing of lenses is a bit of a problem as I cannot see any detail unless I have the camera appr 3 in from my eyes. That's fine if I can sit at a table to change them, but 'in the field' it's more problematic.
I suppose that becomes something you do 'blind' after a while, so it may not stay a problem.

I keep thinking about it though, and my friend is keeping an eye out for possible replacements for my present bridge. He's is aware of my limitations, sight wise, and has come up with one or two possibilities, mainly those new-fangled camera's (can't for the world remember what they're called), but so far I haven't dared take the plunge.

I'm still pretty happy with my bridge for the sort of work I do at the moment, so there's no real need yet. But I keep dreaming, so I'll probably end up with something that's more than a bridge, at some time.

Hinfrance

One of the hybrids sounds like it would be the ideal upgrade for you Reinardina - they are extremely capable and have large screens on them, probably bigger than the one on your bridge in most cases.

One day some new piece of photographic technology will grab you and that will be that :tup:
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr

jinky

Sorry I`ve filled the front page with images of Haworth 40`s weekend. So much fun I wanted to share it. Got hundreds of shots of so many people dressed up. If you can ever get over to Haworth for this  great weekend it is well worth the trip. Let me know if you are going and I might even put you up if you are travelling. It`s every May and up to half the crowd are in costumes with lots of displays too. All free bar a few donations to the charity chosen that year when you can. Great fun. Anyone interested in seeing more shots from the event can look at my rushed video on youtube at:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTngNn3aCMg&feature=youtu.be

Right - forgot I have to set theme for competition. Next job!

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.