• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,411
  • Total Topics: 5,704
  • Online today: 297
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 42
  • Total: 42
bhphotovideo
Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning ResourcesPhotography and Time of D...

Filters - again

Started by Sarasocke, February 16, 2011, 03:07:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sarasocke

Sorry, a question about filters yet again.

I have just received the most expensive lense I've got up to now for my birthday - Nikon 24-70 2.8 - and I'm after getting a filter as protection on the front. I do a lot of photography in a dog shelter, and the dogs can be quite lively. The question is which price class? I assume a cheaper filter will or could effect the quality of the photo, but just how high will I have to go?
Carol aka Sarasocke 
My Gallery

krennon

B&W are about the best you can get....Hoya are pretty good (my dad swears by Hoya and he's a retired pro tog) otherwise KOOD (Hoyas second make bit like Aiwa is Sonys second make) are pretty good.....or if you just want cheap and cheerful I can recommend www.7dayshop.com own stuff but it is cheap and cheerful...i know some people just keep a filter on to protect the front element but take it off when actually taking a shot then put it back on again in which case cheap will be fine otherwise any of the brands above should be ok...get one with the low profile frame which helps reduce vignetting etc if you are going to keep it on the lens...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/keithfransella/

"Everything in moderation including moderation" Oscar Wilde

Oldboy

I've got the Nikon 24-70mm F2.8 and never used a filter with it. Took photos last year at the Guy Fawkes party when it rained all night. The lens was completely soaked but didn't have a problem with it.  ;D

Sarasocke

When I'm in the dog shelter, rain would be the least of my problems ;)
They have quite large pens housing up to 10 dogs who have loads of room to run about and play, and many of them are really friendly - and I'm in the middle of them.

Anyway I've ordered a Hoya from Amazon, it'll make me feel better if nothing else  8)
Carol aka Sarasocke 
My Gallery

Graham

Me?  No filter but allways keep the hood on.
                  Graham. :)
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. 

My Gallery
My Flickr Pics

Jonathan

It's a matter of holy lore that B+W are the best you can get.  Here's a very techie article explaining why that may not always be true....

http://www.lenstip.com/113.1-article-UV_filters_test_Introduction.html

Personally I've never used a filter on my 24-70 (except occasionally ND and polas).  It's done over 100K pics in a variety of environments and the front optic is still fine.
It's Guest's round

Simple

I never use filters either. Jonathan, thanks for that link, that is a real eye opener. What a surprise!

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.