• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,411
  • Total Topics: 5,704
  • Online today: 297
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 140
  • Total: 140
7ds
Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning ResourcesPhotography and Time of D...

How Much, Honestly?

Started by ABERS, August 28, 2011, 08:54:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Markulous

Quote from: Cathus on August 31, 2011, 10:26:13 PM
and as for getting lazy with better gear, don't judge others by your own standards ;), I find quite the opposite as I want to go out and push the gear and my skills and thereby become a better photographer.

Which is why I used the word "Personally" rather than the word "Generally"!  ;)

Quote from: Oldboy on September 01, 2011, 12:08:51 AM
Fieldcraft isn't much good if you are one side of a valley and the target is on the other. By the time you get over there it's gone.  :o

LOL! If it's the other side of the valley, you're not going to be close enough whatever you've got!  ;D
Whatever and ever. Amen
http://smg.photobucket.com/home/Markulous/index
Mark @ Photobucket

greypoint

Good af is certainly a must for things like swallows and swifts - not sure if it's faster glass though as I think my most successful shots have been with a D90 and 70-300vr - not the most expensive combination. A willingness to patiently stand and track birds swooping across the sky for a long period is probably more the key here  ;) I'm constantly amazed by the casual chat about 500mm and 600mm on Birdforum and the amounts some people spend on bird photography. I recently picked up a book aimed at amateur bird photographers in the 70s/80s when we used film. It was assumed that as as amateur your longest lens would probably be 300mm at most unless you used a mirror lens and there was a lot of concentration on fieldcraft and getting closer. Unfortunately I always seem to find that there's a river or lake in between me and the bird which does'nt help!

hevans

To answer Alan's original question.

This year:

• Less than the wife spends on shoes. :doh:
  • Less than the kids spend on activities.  ???
  • Less than I spend on Beer and Gin. :beer:
Although I haven't spent much this year. I can't think of any additional equipment that I either want, need or would take me to the next level. To me, it's strictly a hobby and the current set of equipment is adequate for purpose (adequate being a personal judgement call).

In the previous years I have spent ~100-200 € on courses (on at Doorhof's studio, and one with Tim Wallace). Both were very interesting and provided me with greater insight into how they work and techniques - well worth the money and more valuable than a new lens. (It would be very interesting to go on one of JR's courses, but sadly Kent is not a normal destination).

So, most expenditure now is down to consumables, which for digital are quite quite low (compared to film), or courses.

H.

skellum

As they say ' Its not what you've got its how you use it ' ,  but then recently my wife came across a Canon 100-300 lens in perfect condition which a few years ago I would of been very proud of but compared to my Canon L lenses it was a none starter so I sold it immediately.

To put an actual  figure to what I spend  could be a bit difficult as now that I have my photographic business money is always prioritised to the unusual and unexpected things that crop up so new ( or secondhand ) kit is bought when cash flow allows.

My wife has always been very supportive with my photography and knows that if I order something new I would of tried all other options first. I am pleased to say that I no longer own kit that is never used but temptation is always there.

Graham

Quote from: Dave on September 01, 2011, 10:23:00 AM
As they say ' Its not what you've got its how you use it ' ,  but then recently my wife came across a Canon 100-300 lens in perfect condition which a few years ago I would of been very proud of but compared to my Canon L lenses it was a none starter so I sold it immediately.

To put an actual  figure to what I spend  could be a bit difficult as now that I have my photographic business money is always prioritised to the unusual and unexpected things that crop up so new ( or secondhand ) kit is bought when cash flow allows.

My wife has always been very supportive with my photography and knows that if I order something new I would of tried all other options first. I am pleased to say that I no longer own kit that is never used but temptation is always there.

Dave. I fear you used the word which is key to the whole issue... TEMPTATION.... The only thing I find impossible to resist!  :2funny:
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. 

My Gallery
My Flickr Pics

greypoint

Temptation? but I thought you visited Grays of Westminster and came away empty handed  ::)

Graham

Quote from: greypoint on September 01, 2011, 11:10:22 AM
Temptation? but I thought you visited Grays of Westminster and came away empty handed  ::)

Yes. It was a funny old day.
                    Graham.

Did I mention?...I've been to London you know!
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. 

My Gallery
My Flickr Pics

skellum

Dave. I fear you used the word which is key to the whole issue... TEMPTATION.... The only thing I find impossible to resist! 

Graham.  One way to beat temptation is to find a bit of kit your interested in on e.bay. Put in a ridiculously low bid then when your out bid you won't be disappointed and the urge to buy will go away ( for a while )

Paul Montgomery

Thinking of the exam question - not a lot.
I had a bit of a spending spree 3 years ago and now I've got everything I need (though, not everything I want  ;) )
Current expenditure is probably about a fiver a month for a magazine...

Oldboy

Quote from: Markulous on September 01, 2011, 06:58:30 AM
Quote from: Oldboy on September 01, 2011, 12:08:51 AM
Fieldcraft isn't much good if you are one side of a valley and the target is on the other. By the time you get over there it's gone.  :o

LOL! If it's the other side of the valley, you're not going to be close enough whatever you've got!  ;D

Wouldn't be a problem with this lens!  :-*

http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/companies/canon/fdresources/fdlenses/reflex8002000/cat.htm

Jonathan

Quote from: Oldboy on September 01, 2011, 12:25:28 AM
Love the second shot JR.  :tup:

Not sure about the panning on the third!  ???

Thanks.  Doesn't surprise me you don't like the third shot.  I'm pretty sure when I do my count up at the end of the year it will be in my top 10 favourites.  That's why it's fun to shoot for myself now and again.
It's Guest's round

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.