• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,412
  • Total Topics: 5,705
  • Online today: 68
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 48
  • Total: 48
millets
Temu £100 Coupon bundle o...Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning Resources

A new challenge

Started by spikeyjen, April 16, 2015, 12:23:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jinky

If any subject / other thread was getting interest then it would bot be buried.  The legal question thread is an eg and invariably the WMYFG thread is often on the front page. If there was a thread offering critique / feedback that actually managed to get interest from even 6 people it would be on the front page links I really don`t see the problem / need for a solution. If no one is interested in the monthly challenge it will not feature very prominently either. I it`s possible to have a separate section for comps ( which I thought it had in it`s own thread , fine but the front page is generated by which threads are getting interest)

DigiDiva

Exactly.  Anyone not interested just dont do in the comp section.
Please visit my website @ www.sunderlandwallart.com

ABERS

The Recent Posts column is invariably peppered with competition posts, especially when, as always there appears to be, two on the go.

A separate section for those posts just seemed a good idea, but obviously not seen as such.

Never mind.

DigiDiva

Not sure what you mean by a separate section Abers...It has a separate section. One only for competitions, be they weekly, monthly, seasonal, one offs or whatever. Here;s some stats (not perfect to the nth degree)!

Of 8 categories, 1 is a comp category...1/8th of the options to choose.

Within those 8 categories, there are 46 sub categories, with only 6 of these relating to competitions. Less than 1/6th of the available sub-categories.

Of these 6, one hasn't been used since  August 2012, one since May 2010, one since July 14 and one since Feb 09. This means of the 46 sub categories, only 2 are being used regarding competitions,  1/23rd...less than a quarter!

C'mon, lets look at the facts. 2 out of 46 categories are used for comps and it is still being suggested it has it's own section. The users choose where to post so if the home page is full of comp stuff doesn't that suggest its the most frequented?

Rant over - I enjoyed that!

Reinardina

Quote from: ABERS on May 12, 2015, 07:20:51 PM
The Recent Posts column is invariably peppered with competition posts, especially when, as always there appears to be, two on the go.

A separate section for those posts just seemed a good idea, but obviously not seen as such.

Never mind.

I think that is the point that is overlooked.

Every  competition generates three threads. When competitions are overlapping, as is often the case at the moment, there are six threads. A third competition will add another three.

There is room on the front page for ten threads.

A post, that maybe requires some thinking, before it can be answered, may therefore fall victim to the competition threads and disappear under the radar, before it is even spotted by other members.

And then it is lost forever, unless someone accidentally stumbles upon it, because, no one is specifically looking among the older posts to see if there is anything that he/she missed.
If it is not on the front page, it is dead.

That is the whole problem, so I do not see why Alan's suggestion immediately drew blood.

A subject that creates so much traffic, deserves its own space.

Beauty is bought by judgment of the eye.
Shakespeare. (Love's Labours Lost.)

DigiDiva

Anyway we have gone off theme here. We were talking of a monthly theme for learning or perfecting new skills.  I have lots still to learn and if the skill is one I need improving (who shouted 'everything'?) I will have a go. Doesn't need to be a comp. Maybe a theme eg panning, with links to examples of images or tutorials then off we go to try and post our efforts. The only point I can see of  it being a competition is so we have a winner to pick the next skill and do the threads.

On the old DCM forum I tried a similar thing where through the month  our efforts were posted and comments made then another attempt was made till month end when final images were posted having taken on board the comments through the month.

spikeyjen

Quote from: ABERS on May 12, 2015, 04:55:11 PM

With the advent of yet another competition.............

Quote from: DigiDiva on May 12, 2015, 01:50:26 PM
You really dislike any reference to comps Abers. Is there any particular reason why?

As to competition helping improve your photography that's a myth. If you can't teach yourself to think and learn various techniques or find out how to under your own steam, sell your camera.

Next time I make a suggestion that I think will help improve the layout of the forum forum I'll check with you first.

Gosh, you go to bed and wake up to all this....
And once again I sigh loudly.....

My problem is not about whether we should have the 'competitions' all together on the front page - I actually think that this is a good idea, but rather the suggestions that this idea is a 'just another competition' or perhaps just a waste of time. Unfortunately with the written word only, you can only interpret what you see in front of you and have no understanding of the intent.

If I were a new person on this site, I would read this and run a mile.

My ideas was about trying to generate some interest from the new members and to offer them something toward their photographic learning. A monthly technique challenge with supportive comments might actually increase participation in our 'dreary' weekly competition (quoting Abers). This is the third time I have tried to get something off the ground here to generate some interest, and each time Abers manages to get in the way and spoil it for me. I would have thought that with his skill he might also be able to offer our newbies something rather than sarcastic comments that make people uncomfortable.

I have no intention of selling my camera, Abers, I'll just take it, and my time, and volunteers to help somewhere else.

DigiDiva

Ever had that feeling of deja vu spikeyjen.......I have sent u a private message.

ABERS

Quote from: spikeyjen on May 13, 2015, 03:59:14 AM
Quote from: ABERS on May 12, 2015, 04:55:11 PM

With the advent of yet another competition.............

Quote from: DigiDiva on May 12, 2015, 01:50:26 PM
You really dislike any reference to comps Abers. Is there any particular reason why?

As to competition helping improve your photography that's a myth. If you can't teach yourself to think and learn various techniques or find out how to under your own steam, sell your camera.

Next time I make a suggestion that I think will help improve the layout of the forum forum I'll check with you first.

Gosh, you go to bed and wake up to all this....
And once again I sigh loudly.....

My problem is not about whether we should have the 'competitions' all together on the front page - I actually think that this is a good idea, but rather the suggestions that this idea is a 'just another competition' or perhaps just a waste of time. Unfortunately with the written word only, you can only interpret what you see in front of you and have no understanding of the intent.

If I were a new person on this site, I would read this and run a mile.

My ideas was about trying to generate some interest from the new members and to offer them something toward their photographic learning. A monthly technique challenge with supportive comments might actually increase participation in our 'dreary' weekly competition (quoting Abers). This is the third time I have tried to get something off the ground here to generate some interest, and each time Abers manages to get in the way and spoil it for me. I would have thought that with his skill he might also be able to offer our newbies something rather than sarcastic comments that make people uncomfortable.

I have no intention of selling my camera, Abers, I'll just take it, and my time, and volunteers to help somewhere else.

The advent of another competition worries me not one jot, all I was trying to suggest was that the Shout Box be used solely for the Chat and Entry posts that clog up the Recent Posts column. As Reinardina points out as it stands now that column usually comprises some 80 - 90% those posts, sometimes to the detriment of all others.

The fact that I have reservations about the usefulness of the competitions is a matter for me but surely I have the right to say so.

I'm sorry you deem what I say is sarcastic, it's not meant to be.

Pointing people in certain directions, i.e. Setting a Brief relieves them of thinking for themselves, when an open brief makes them produce their own work that they themselves have formulated, created and produced. That work so produced can still be open to critique if that is wanted.

I would have thought that with his skill he might also be able to offer our newbies something rather than sarcastic comments that make people uncomfortable.

I do engage in 'help groups', but try to show them that the surest way to learn, if you can learn photography, is to help themselves by researching how to do things that seem out of the normal run of things. Spoonfeeding is fraught with the certainty that things are not absorbed but can be called upon if needed. That is perhaps the curse of the digital age.

Please carry on with your proposal and see what response you get from the members, I would hate to think any opinions that I may have would rob them of the light at the end of the tunnel. But I would like them to see that opinions are allowed on CC without fear nor favour.

Au Revoir!

jinky

I must be the only one seeing this as a monthly challenge as outlined by spikeyjen rather than "another comp". I know jen suggested a vote at one point in her suggestion but that was more to decide who sets the next one than to judge a winner!
I`d prefer to see it just as a challenge as outlined looking at techniques / developing / sharing skills and advice and not even restricted to those that want to put up an entry or rather example. Surely as a photography forum this is exactly the type of thread that should dominate a front page - if it attracts interest - and should not be hidden away in a "competition" area if that is even possible.

I`d see it as a means of genuinely sharing skills / knowledge and techniques for those interested in discussing - whether shooting an image or not. I see shots appear on the internet every day that I guess at how they are produced and wonder about techniques / editing used to get that result. I rarely email asking about them and wonder why  don`t given how delighted I have been when on occasion a stranger has contacted me to ask about a particular image and how I got there.

The last time this site got new , interested  members we lost them (3 of them) in the space of a weekend in the face of snide comments and backbiting. I suggest that such a thread as spikeyjen has suggested would appeal to any newbie more than a comp or other more philosophical threads and urge that we just get on with it and see what interest it attracts. I for one will contribute as best I can - if not always putting up an image at least sharing any knowledge / experience I have of the theme. To save a vote I suggest volunteers set the next month and I hereby volunteer to set a 2nd theme after spikeyjens opener when I see what  format you are looking for. That said I am away late June when I shall be cruising the Baltics and St Petersburg no doubt taking postcard holiday snaps and friend groups adhering rigidly to all the various rules that apply  ;)

Beaux Reflets

I am looking looking forward to the first challenge  :)
:beer: Andy

"Light anchors things in place and gives perspective meaning."

The choices we make are rooted in reflection.

http://beauxreflets.blogspot.com/

DigiDiva

jinky

Quote from: Reinardina on May 12, 2015, 08:36:18 PM
Quote from: ABERS on May 12, 2015, 07:20:51 PM

Never mind.

A post, that maybe requires some thinking, before it can be answered, may therefore fall victim to the competition threads and disappear under the radar, before it is even spotted by other members.

And then it is lost forever, unless someone accidentally stumbles upon it, because, no one is specifically looking among the older posts to see if there is anything that he/she missed.
If it is not on the front page, it is dead.

That is the whole problem, so I do not see why Alan's suggestion immediately drew blood.

If you simply hit the unread posts since your last visit you see all the threads that have popped up since you were last on here so you don`t need to miss any. That`s the first button I hit when I log in to see what`s new so I don`t get quite so animated as you and Abers about which are the precious 10 threads down the side of the front page. But I say again if they are generating interest they will be there.

I hope we are not going to lose the likes of spikey jen through such comments as she has been one of the few breaths of fresh air since arriving on here that has stuck with us.
I`m looking forward to your challenge spikey jen and will contribute in whatever way I can  ;)

Reinardina

I had totally forgotten about the button, and normally just look at the front page. Thanks for reminding me.

I hope Spikeyjen will not be put off by these posts. They are the only ones that are a bit lively!

Beauty is bought by judgment of the eye.
Shakespeare. (Love's Labours Lost.)

ABERS

Perhaps six years is long enough and it's time to join the ranks of those other photographers that have tried to find some interest, and perhaps attempted to contribute to the overall scheme of things on here, but have finally realised that there is such an antipathy to any discussion or opinions expressed in good faith, and have gone their separate ways.

One only has to look at the originators of various popular threads to see who they were. Anyway perhaps the half dozen or so who migrated to CC from other sites that have closed will manage to keep this one alive realising why the other ones closed.

Thank you Mick for your tenacity in keeping CC alive and kicking, I'm not resigning but will pop in from time to time just to check if CC has not been finally smothered by photographers whose horizons never spread beyond the bounds of the Forum.

Cheers!

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.