• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,411
  • Total Topics: 5,704
  • Online today: 178
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 20
  • Total: 20
parkcameras
Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning ResourcesPhotography and Time of D...

CHAT - OUTDOOR FLASH WEEKLY COMP 11th FEB - 18th FEB

Started by Simple, February 10, 2018, 05:41:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

anglefire

The only reason I wouldn't post a picture up would be if the person (assuming it was a person) didn't want me to or it was personal at the time.
----------------------------------
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Current Bodies:
Canon 1Dx
Canon R3
Canon R5

Sold Bodies:
Canon 350D
Canon 1DMk3
Canon 5D
Canon 1Dx Mk3

Hinfrance

Quote from: Jediboy on February 21, 2018, 04:24:39 PM
I very nearly entered a different photo. I uploaded it before removed it. I like the photo but wasn't comfortable displaying it - after much consideration. Does anyone else ever have this dilemma?

Not really, to be honest - mind you there are some really rubbish ones I look at now and say under my breath 'what was I thinking?'
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

jinky

I`ve regretted uploading one or two over the years either because they weren`t good enough or went a little too far. rarely for this competition. I did put one on here recently I took down pretty swiftly but left in a facebook group to get the reaction it did to make a point about other images featuring there. It was a shot of a mouse caught dead in a trap that had eluded all humane efforts to capture it ( and our cat ) for 48 hours. I took it to prove to my sleeping wife that I had finally caught it as i`d been caught out for bluffing previously when failing to get another and it reappeared. I made sure it was well taken with creative depth of field in the lighting available and put it in a group I`m on in facebook. I had seen increasing numbers of street photos taken of the increasing number of beggers in town some of which I found offensive and insulting but which garnered very positive comments for being "gritty and hard hitting". I`d suggested they were invasive and more peeping tom and expressed a hope that they had rewarded "models" well to be given lectures on how they would spend any money / rights of photographer on public streets. So my mouse picture went up with me determining that if it got negative comments by people I liked / respected and had offended them I might take it down but I`d see. After 2 likes and 2 dislikes + one comment by an unknown to me "animal lover" who expressed disapproval it was taken down seemingly.  I say seemingly as an hour or so later I went to remove it from the group after 2nd thoughts to find that a group  moderator had wiped it after " a complaint and finding it distasteful". I said i`d found some of  the images distasteful and asked for them to be removed to be refused. I started a discussion asking about censorship and after getting a fair bit of grief finally called time on it saying I found it odd that dead vermin garnered a more sympathetic response seemingly than a poor person down on their luck in the streets. I got a couple of private messages of support and a handful of public supporters but was largely condemned as a killer. Interesting world social media. I put it on here for a very short time when I was getting the grief to see if there was another debate but took it down very quickly as it I accept it was poor taste and here wasn`t where I wanted to make the point. I must admit I got most angry with one guy who told me the picture was " bland, offensive and not even well executed technically" ! I responded that it might be sick and distasteful but in the given light and circumstances it was one of my better pieces of work technically and would they like me to repost to discuss technical merits but the answer was no  :).

Hinfrance

We live in an age of disinformation and inventive abreaction. Offence taking by the offencerati, as they have justifiably been called, is as endemic as it is profoundly worrying, censorious and illiberal. It comes from anyone with a cause célèbre, from the seemingly irresistible mindless groupthink of virtue signalling, from left right, and sometimes even centre. The worst I have seen comes from the extreme left, which includes inter alia many environmentalists and animal rights activists and the fascists who call themselves, paradoxically, and without a hint of irony, anti-fascists. It is far better to avoid social media if you can, and certainly never to express any opinions in such places. Twitter has been called an online asylum for the terminally narcissistic (incidentally by a columnist who has recently become a target of the Stop Funding Hate campaign which it seems to me is entirely about spreading if not hate then certainly division), and it certainly is that, although that is the least of the nasty things about it. Facebook has become so politicised of late that blocking all of the 'Tories are scum' and 'Corbyn is a commie' posts has left almost nothing to see. The period of the US presidential elections was even worse, now I come to think of it. If my relatives were not scattered all over the planet I would delete my account. I admit I do look at Twitter on a daily basis; it's a kind of masochism  :-[

So I leave winding the nutters up to the experts with the carapaces and nerves of steel. It's safer, although rather cowardly, that way.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Jediboy

Ive taken a step back from Social media and am no longer on Facebook. I don't miss it, in fact I enjoy being oblivious to it all! Whilst I understand that social media has many positives, it also has many negatives, and I don't like that. Its interesting to hear what you have said, and makes me feel that I made the right decision to leave.

The photo I refer to was in fact taken at work, I take quite a few at work. I posted it but took it down almost immediately. It could be seen as controversial and I realise that once online I have no control over it, and once posted I regretted it.
May the Force be with you.

Chris

Oldboy

Quote from: Jediboy on February 21, 2018, 04:24:39 PM
I very nearly entered a different photo. I uploaded it before removed it. I like the photo but wasn't comfortable displaying it - after much consideration. Does anyone else ever have this dilemma?

Yes, I've been there with that dilemma. Only the photographer can make that call.  8)

Simple

I do not know if social media is mainly at fault. I love the whole facebook thing, mainly because it keeps me in touch with loads of people from my youth back in Holland. It is also an excellent tool to keep my students informed and for them to contact me.
I believe that we are at the very beginning of a change in behaviour and that social media as we now know it is still very much in its infancy. I hope and believe that we humans will find a way for the next generations to come up with some self controlling attitude towards social media. We are just too young in our use to have this established. We now find it not acceptable for people to drink and drive, and have no scruples to prevent people of doing this. But 30 years ago this was in its infancy. I hope it will be the same with the use of social media and that trolls for example will become an ignored minority.

anglefire

Simple, I hope you are right, but I think that social media will not change significantly without some form of intervention - because it is too easy to hide behind the keyboard and even fake ip's emails etc.

And people like to knock other people if they don't agree with their opinion and are very vocal and go to almost any length to force their opinion - that does happen in real life too so its not all social media
----------------------------------
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Current Bodies:
Canon 1Dx
Canon R3
Canon R5

Sold Bodies:
Canon 350D
Canon 1DMk3
Canon 5D
Canon 1Dx Mk3

Simple

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.