• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,412
  • Total Topics: 5,705
  • Online today: 59
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 1
  • Guests: 57
  • Total: 58
  • Mick
wex
Temu £100 Coupon bundle o...Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning Resources

Gems of Wisdom

Started by ABERS, October 13, 2009, 09:29:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ABERS

What is the most significant and useful piece of photographic  advice you have ever been given? One that you've followed implicitly and always found to be useful.

Mine?

I had the great fortune to be tutored at night school by John Bardsley, a past president of the RPS, a kindly gentleman and a wonderful B+W photographer. His first piece of advice to all of us assembled in awe was, " If you want to be a photographer, use your eyes to look and learn from other photographers of note, and please never show me an image that you're not pleased with".

What's yours?

picsfor

A fellow train driver from Ipswich who really was an accomplished photographer of all things floral.
He was the cause of be getting a Canon A1 SLR camera and when working a train together ( i was only a drivers assistant at the time) i showed him the first set of pictures i had taken with the camera.

Compared with my old 110 format pocket camera the pictures were,in my opinion at the time, outstanding and filled me with pride.
So you can imagine the look that must have come across my face when he offered genuine critique as to how good they really were as opposed to my perception.
He was right but my pride didn't think so at the time.

On seeing the look on my face he just said "if you can't accept, or don't want, honest opinions of your pictures, whether they be critique or some ones personal opinions - don't show them. Displaying pictures is an invitation to comment for good or for bad"

It took a while to show him some pictures again but he was right!

spinner

My college photography teacher told us that if we managed one decent shot out of a roll of film we were doing well. It allowed me not to expect perfection in every shot and let me relax and take shots I might not have otherwise. (and in retrospect probably shouldn't have  ;D)
And more, much more than this, I did it my way
Ol' blue eyes

http://ddsdigita4.wix.com/ddsdigital
https://www.flickr.com/photos/spin498/

Jonathan

The one that has always stuck with me is

"It doesn't matter what you point your camera at.  You are only ever photographing light."
It's Guest's round

Bigbill

Hewwo from Shivery Sheffy,,,,

My mate Steve Conway,,top bloke,,,,told me years ago "every pic ever taken requires the same amount of light,its about how you deliver it"

Nevewr have forgotten that gem.

Shine On

Al Birmingham

When putting your camera away, always leave it at the same settings. E.g. mine is always left at Av, iso 200, aperture as large as the lens allows. That way I know exactly what settings I have should a 'grab the camera' moment happen.
Al Birmingham

chris@seary.com

Always leave the lens cap on when you take the picture.

chris@seary.com

No, I mean always take it off.

I think that's right.

Hybridphotog

One gem of wisdom I can remember hearing of, is of a sign above the door of someones darkroom. The sign reads...
"Good enough never is!"

SimonW

For me it's simple:- Always have a camera with you. I still find I'm occasionally caught out though, such as recently a lovely rainbow appeared while I was taking the wife shopping, and both cameras were at home charging their batteries.
Simon Warren
(in Dunning, Scotland)

skellum

Quote from: ABERS on October 13, 2009, 09:29:53 AM
What is the most significant and useful piece of photographic  advice you have ever been given? One that you've followed implicitly and always found to be useful.

Mine?

I had the great fortune to be tutored at night school by John Bardsley, a past president of the RPS, a kindly gentleman and a wonderful B+W photographer. His first piece of advice to all of us assembled in awe was, " If you want to be a photographer, use your eyes to look and learn from other photographers of note, and please never show me an image that you're not pleased with".

What's yours?

Last year I was invited to be interviewd by BBC Radio Lancashire after a researcher had seen my prints on Preston Market. When I told my wife she said " You will have to get a haircut then "

chris@seary.com

I read an interview with Annie Liebowitz a few months ago in American Photo. She said that the one thing you must never skimp on is film.

What she was saying, film versus digital aside, is that you should keep shooting until you get exactly what you want.

Oldboy

Quote from: chris@seary.com on November 13, 2009, 11:11:42 PM
I read an interview with Annie Liebowitz a few months ago in American Photo. She said that the one thing you must never skimp on is film.

What she was saying, film versus digital aside, is that you should keep shooting until you get exactly what you want.

Agree with that fully, as you can never tell if your first shot was good enough.  ;D

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.