• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,412
  • Total Topics: 5,705
  • Online today: 158
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 138
  • Total: 138
parkcameras
Temu £100 Coupon bundle o...Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning Resources

Lightrom 5 Print Module - two 7x5 images on an A4 Sheet

Started by SimonW, October 31, 2015, 09:58:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SimonW

Previous posts here show that I'm not the only one who doesn't understand Lightroom's print module, but I notice Hinfrance saying "I have finally managed to work out how to get Lightroom to actually print something the right size..." and maybe others have too.

Anyway, after a lot of fiddling I managed to set up and save a template which looks like it should print two images sized 5x7 inches on one sheet of A4 paper. But no - as soon as I drag an image into one of the cells, the cell changes size. Even if the image is a jpg sized at 5x7 inches, it still changes size - apparently to make greater use of the available paper.

(My Photoshop Elements has a built in function to do exactly what I want,which I've used often in the past. I just thought I'd like to do the whole job within Lightroom rather than changing applications.)

Lightroom's user guide isn't much help (in several places it just says "you can do this" without telling you how). It covers some very complex stuff but misses the basics. Maybe someone on this forum could write a better one. Or at least explain how to set the cells in a template to a fixed unchangeable size...

Simon
Simon Warren
(in Dunning, Scotland)

Simple

I have read this thread and been slightly bemused and often wondered if I had a different type of software. I find the printing module very easy to use.
First you have to have the right size paper and printer assigned. Bottom left hand side button "Page setup"
Second you go to top right button "Lay-out style" and select "Custom Package".
Third you click on "CELLS" button, Fourth one down.
Select New Page, click on black cross left top to get rid of first page. You do not have to do this. You can also click on clear layout tab.
Click on as many cells as you want. By click and dragging you can position them any where you want. To get a clean page you can right click in a cell and select delete cell.
You can overlap pictures and by rightclicking on the picture you can select which picture to go on top or behind.
One warning if you are in portrait orientation and select a 8x10 you will get a smaller size cell because it will not fit lengthwise. A quick way to check is to look at the sliders and see if they give the correct size.

Works for me?
Simon

SimonW

Hi Simon,

Thank you for responding; your instructions are very clear. However, they've not gone quite far enough. I had in fact done exactly that, but to make sure I've just done it again following step by step. But as soon as I drag an image into a cell, the cell changes size!

I created two 5x7 inch cells, with the rulers switched on, and the rulers confirmed they were sized correctly. Then I put a jpg already sized 5x7 into a cell, and the cell (and the image) grew in size by roughly 1/4 inch each way. It's obvious on the screen that the cell with the image is now larger than the empty cell.

I want 5x7 prints to fit in standard ready-made 5x7 frames. I assumed there was a "do not resize the cell" tick box somewhere, but I can't find one.

SimonW
Simon Warren
(in Dunning, Scotland)

Hinfrance

I find that LR changes the page size, seemingly at random, but usually to US letter. You can't print to plain paper (choices are just matt or glossy). It only adds one cell at a time (I think, not found out how to do what Qimage does, which is to set a cell size for a project no matter how many images you want to print).

SimonW, have you got a border control switched on? Image settings, second item down, photo border.

Personally I absolutely hate the LR print module. It's flaky, limited, complicated to use and doesn't actually print that well. I avoid it if at all possible. Although sometimes I am tempted to use it when LR is open, but I always regret the amount of time it takes to get even the simplest print done. I'll never learn!
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

SimonW

Hi H, short answer: no, neither photo border nor inner stroke is ticked. But thanks for the suggestion. Maybe I should just stick to my older ways....

However, our local Tesco supermarket has a machine: plug in a memory stick, choose pix to print and the required size, insert a little money and hey presto - 5x7 prints right away, as I like them, cheaper and probably better quality than doing it at home.

(Tesco's is actually10 miles away or I'd have used this this time).
Simon Warren
(in Dunning, Scotland)

hssutton

Simon. First of all I never ever use Lightroom for printing, but was a little intrigued by your problem.

I have just had a look at the print module in Lightroom 6. Guess what I find the same problem as you. However by deselecting lock to Aspect Ratio and adjusting the the print size to  5x7 all works OK.

Harry
Edited. I should have made clear that under 'CELLS' you can alter any of the presets  to give you more or less any size you want.
This is probably what S Simon was saying, but my aging brain got lost half way through his post. Trouble is he's not quite that Simple otherwise I would have understood his post :)

Harry

SimonW

Harry, thank you. How very extremely odd! But you are correct.

I have tried mine and confirm - Dragging a sized 5x7 jpg into a sized 5x7 cell while the Lock to Aspect Ratio box is ticked changes the size of both, but if I untick the box first the size remains fixed.

Cheers, Simon
Simon Warren
(in Dunning, Scotland)

Hinfrance

Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.