• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,411
  • Total Topics: 5,704
  • Online today: 136
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 85
  • Total: 85
millets
Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning ResourcesPhotography and Time of D...

Airports/Duty Free advice please...............

Started by Matthew, February 11, 2013, 06:56:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matthew

I am off on a Stag Do to Amsterdam on Friday. Flying from Inverness straight over to Schipol Airport.

The partner of my Wifes' friend very kindly printed up the stag do t-shirts and even added a bit of artistic licence to them. They look fantastic, but he doesn't want any money for them.

I was planning bringing back a bottle of something to give to him as a thankyou, but I'm not sure of the rules. I am only taking hand luggage but can I take more than the 100mls on board provided I buy it in the airport? Or do I have to declare it and put my bag into the hold?

:beer:
Never argue with a stupid person, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Paul Montgomery

I'm fairly sure that things bought airside (ie after security controls) are OK - thinking about it, they must be as any hold luggage will have been dropped off by then.

Hinfrance

If the airport has an 'airside' duty free you can buy a bottle there and take it on the plane with you. You cannot buy and take any booze through security as carry on luggage, but you can put bottles in your hold luggage - not a good idea generally as the bags can be roughly handled and a suitcase full of alcohol sodden possessions is not a happy welcome home gift.

Have a fun time, and don't forget that you will be using your liver later . . .
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

hevans

Schiphol has avery extensive selection of shops on the security side. You can buy what you want, perfumes, clothes, booze, electronics, sunglasses, etc. and take it with you on the plane.

the 100 ml limit was set for items that you pack yourself...and was brought in to prevent people bringing two liquid component explosives on the plane.

Rail links from schiphol to amsterdam are frequent and quick...as long as there's no snow.

Enjoy the trip.

Hugh

Matthew

Thanks Hugh, much appreciated  :tup:. Will pick something up on the way back for said mate.

Cheers  :beer:
Never argue with a stupid person, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Matthew

Thanks guys, will have a good time....not sure my liver will thank me for it though.v :dance: ;D

Reinardina

Just back from Amsterdam. Duty free bought at Schiphol will be sealed (in the usual yellow bag) and you take it on board in the sealed bag. That's all there is to it.

You don't have to declare it, as long as it is for 'personal use.'

Enjoy yourself!

Beauty is bought by judgment of the eye.
Shakespeare. (Love's Labours Lost.)

jinky

At some of the slacker airports I `ve followed a tip of my daughter who works for Jet 2 and sneaked a duty free bag from one of the duty free shops through security and put into it some over packing stuff and walked through with it in there when I`ve been on Ryanair flights etc with a slightly oversized bag.

Reinardina

When the airlines started the nonsense of only one piece of hand luggage, I bought myself one of those gilets from an 'outdoors activity' shop. Plenty of pockets all over the place and most securely fastened with zips or velcro.
I now use this as my 'handbag.'  All travel documents go in one pocket (no more digging in your 'on board' bag), heavy things (keys, change, camera batteries, book etc) and everything else that fits, goes in there. On average, it weighs 2.5 kilos, which is a lot, considering I am only allowed 10 kilos of hand baggage.

deetus

Quote from: Reinardina on February 13, 2013, 09:15:58 AM
When the airlines started the nonsense of only one piece of hand luggage, I bought myself one of those gilets from an 'outdoors activity' shop. Plenty of pockets all over the place and most securely fastened with zips or velcro.
That's a great tip, must store that in the memory bank for future use  :tup:

Reinardina

Quote from: deetus on February 13, 2013, 07:04:54 PM
Quote from: Reinardina on February 13, 2013, 09:15:58 AM
That's a great tip, must store that in the memory bank for future use  :tup:

Also comes in handy when out with the camera, so why wait?

Matthew

Quote from: Reinardina on February 12, 2013, 08:51:31 PM
Just back from Amsterdam. Duty free bought at Schiphol will be sealed (in the usual yellow bag) and you take it on board in the sealed bag. That's all there is to it.

You don't have to declare it, as long as it is for 'personal use.'

Enjoy yourself!

Ahh thanks Reinardina. Is there a local spirit/drink?.....I want to bring back something nice for the mate who has done the t-shirts.

hevans

Quote from: highlandscenics on February 13, 2013, 09:35:52 PM
Ahh thanks Reinardina. Is there a local spirit/drink?.....I want to bring back something nice for the mate who has done the t-shirts.

Genever is probably one of the more typical Dutch spirits, and can come in a variety of additionally flavoured varieties (natural, lemon, bosbessen, etc.). In its natural form it's regarded as the precursor to Gin. The best known brand internationally is Bols.

Another peculiarly Dutch delicacy is salty liquorish, or "drop" and is very much an acquired taste. A favourite for the kids and adults are stroop waffels, and speculoos, both of which are types of biscuit.

Reinardina

Quote from: hevans on February 14, 2013, 06:30:53 AM
Quote from: highlandscenics on February 13, 2013, 09:35:52 PM

Genever is probably one of the more typical Dutch spirits, and can come in a variety of additionally flavoured varieties (natural, lemon, bosbessen, etc.). In its natural form it's regarded as the precursor to Gin. The best known brand internationally is Bols.

Another peculiarly Dutch delicacy is salty liquorish, or "drop" and is very much an acquired taste. A favourite for the kids and adults are stroop waffels, and speculoos, both of which are types of biscuit.

Yes, I think genever (jenever in Dutch), is a typical Dutch drink. It comes as 'oude' (old) and 'jonge' (literally 'young') jenever.
Apart from Bols, 'Bokma' and 'Ketel' used to be well known.
It is often drunk cold, straight from the fridge, in a frozen glass, but in 'the old days' (when I lived in Holland) it was drunk at room temperature.

I never shop at Schiphol anymore, but you used to be able to buy flowers and bulbs there as well.

Reinardina

Cheese!
The Dutch make damn tasty cheese, nothing like the plastic Gouda and Edam you find in British shops.

Go for 'oude' (old) cheese for a stronger taste. 'Boerenkaas' (farmhouse cheese) was always very tasty. I used to bring that to England when I first lived here. Don't know if the importing rules re dairy produce have changed, but there used to be a good cheese shop at the airport (airside) and if you buy there, you're safe. You could taste the cheese as well, so you know what you buy.

I'd say, make sure you leave yourself plenty of time before your flight, so you can shop till you drop!

Have a great time and let us know what you bought and if he liked it.

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.