• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,411
  • Total Topics: 5,704
  • Online today: 136
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 123
  • Total: 123
  • Google
7ds
Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning ResourcesPhotography and Time of D...

Nikon fit lens with an F0 capability

Started by picsfor, January 10, 2010, 01:01:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

picsfor

Just having a look over on Flickr as i do and discovered a picture that was taken with an aperture of f0 with a Nikon body.
What lens would have that sort of capability?

anglefire

f0 must be a mistake - the F Number comes from the size of the hole compared to the focal length - (Its written more correctly as f/n where n is the stop number) So f/2 on a 100mm lens would mean the aperture is 50mm, f/4 would be an aperture of 25mm and so on. F/0 would be a divide by zero error!

I have seen a 50mm f/0.95 lens on a Canon Rangefinder.

And of course the actual hole is not necessarily the actual size indicated by the f stop - its the effective size!
----------------------------------
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Current Bodies:
Canon 1Dx
Canon R3
Canon R5

Sold Bodies:
Canon 350D
Canon 1DMk3
Canon 5D
Canon 1Dx Mk3

Jonathan

AFAIK The fastest Nikon ever made was the 58mm 1.2 Noctilux.  I'm pretty sure I know where one of these is so I'm keeping quiet on how good it is in case he wants to sell it.... :)

According to mir.com there was an extremely rare 1.0 made but even they don't have pictures of it.

Leica made a legendary 1.0 Noctilux but have replaced this with a 0.95.  I would guess it costs more than a nice family car.
It's Guest's round

anglefire

I don't know how good the Canon version is, or what they cost - I saw it in a camera shop in Rouen - funnily enough we're back there at half term - bet it has gone!

A picture of a similar camera/lens is http://www.flickr.com/photos/geter/4232667093/in/pool-542864@N25 as ever on flickr.

There are also shots taken with the lens - mostly seem to be mounted on Leica's!
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Current Bodies:
Canon 1Dx
Canon R3
Canon R5

Sold Bodies:
Canon 350D
Canon 1DMk3
Canon 5D
Canon 1Dx Mk3

picsfor

Camera:     Nikon D90
Exposure:    0.005 sec (1/200)
Aperture:    f/0.0
Focal Length:    0 mm
ISO Speed:    200
Exposure Bias:    0 EV
Flash:    

the more info off the picture on Flickr.
the link for the picture is http://www.flickr.com/photos/noelmyoung/4261279313/meta/

I appreciate that the info that is given as part of the exif is not precise as we would read it - none the less - f0.0 is fairly defined.

anglefire

Yeah, but so is the focal length - 0!

Its clearly just a mistake and the exif has either been partly stripped or editied.
Mark

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Current Bodies:
Canon 1Dx
Canon R3
Canon R5

Sold Bodies:
Canon 350D
Canon 1DMk3
Canon 5D
Canon 1Dx Mk3

picsfor

yep - didn't follow though - i was just taken by the f0 or as a f00l  :tup:

Jonathan

At a guess I'd say he used an extension tube which would preserve the camera exif and mask the lens exif.  I'd also guess he was closer to f45 than f0 ;)
It's Guest's round

picsfor

Hadn't considered that. Give his main photographic subject i would think they are almost the starting point!

Oldboy

Quote from: picsfor on January 10, 2010, 01:01:35 PM
Just having a look over on Flickr as i do and discovered a picture that was taken with an aperture of f0 with a Nikon body.
What lens would have that sort of capability?
I've had that with the D3 but the picture is just black. It's caused by a bad contact between lens and camera and a quick twist puts it right.  ;D

picsfor

OK - i now have the official answer.
Apart from me being an idiot - the answer is - a reversing ring was used.  :doh:
So i think Jonathan came closest!

Matter closed then! :tup:

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.