• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,411
  • Total Topics: 5,704
  • Online today: 297
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 61
  • Total: 61
  • Google (2)
7ds
Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning ResourcesPhotography and Time of D...

Kite Aerial Photography

Started by rksmith51, July 24, 2011, 04:28:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rksmith51

A little more wind this afternoon so went down again, the first lesson I have learned is that you cant attach the camera until the kite is strongly flying in constant wind. Up it went almost pulling my arm of at times so I attached the rig and sent it up another 50 feet or so. I have to adjust the camera so that it points a bit higher, mostly all I have is a nice view of the football field but I am in a few so here is one just to prove the method does work, I will get better as time goes by and produce much more interesting shots :Tupi: c'mon wind.
Hi, "Guest" long time no see, how are you

Graham

If anyone wants me, I'll be in the shed.
                       Graham. :tup:
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. 

My Gallery
My Flickr Pics

Beaux Reflets

Quote from: Graham on August 19, 2011, 05:10:28 PM
  If anyone wants me, I'll be in the shed.
                       Graham. :tup:

Hey up here comes - rocket man ?  :dance:  :2funny:
:beer: Andy

"Light anchors things in place and gives perspective meaning."

The choices we make are rooted in reflection.

http://beauxreflets.blogspot.com/

Mick

What a great idea.  :idea:

I used to fly radio controlled planes a few years ago, and still toying with the idea of using a electric powered glider for this sort of stuff.  (electric power to take the plane up, and then switch off the motor, prop folds away when stopped)

Now that cameras are so light and compact these days, this should be really easy to do. 

Bob, does that shutter servo have a limiter (or servo saver) on it, or does it just keep trying to push on the shutter button all the time the stick is moved??   
Thank You, "Guest" For Reading This Post.

My Gallery
Tinyportal.net Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0
Guitarist Guild Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0
The Garden Machinery Forum Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0

OpenSea

rksmith51

Hi Mick, the shutter servo is set so that it just presses the button enough to operate it, the trim on the control and the soft rubber tip help protect the camera. I had thought about a Glider as I used to fly 12 foot wing span gliders years ago. I decided the kite was safer as you get it up there and just concentrate on the camera control after that.

Some people have used blimps but its a very expensive way to do it, I'm hoping the wind is there for me tomorrow as I've adjusted the camera so that it looks just below  the horizon when fully up and points down at about 45' when the stick is pushed down, I use the throttle control for that as its not self centering and stays where you point it.

All the best, Bob.

Mick

Thanks for the reply Bob.

I've never been too good with kites though, lol..  :uglystupid2:

The glider would be the way to go for me.  about a six foot span should do it.  The nice thing about the electric ones is you can turn the power on and launch it by hand, get plenty of height, and then cut the motor.  When you eventually lose height, then switch the motor on again and climb away.

I used to launch mine by hand, and then land it back into my hand.  None of the old bungee to catapult them up.  Also they are pretty quiet, so won't upset anyone.  ;)

The biggest problem for me is I sold all my planes ( four of them complete with flight packs and transmitters) about 10 years ago, because I wasn't using them.  :doh:

Looking forward to seeing the results from your kite cam.  Great stuff.  :tup:
Thank You, "Guest" For Reading This Post.

My Gallery
Tinyportal.net Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0
Guitarist Guild Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0
The Garden Machinery Forum Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0

OpenSea

rksmith51

What an adventure  ;), my good wife and I went out with the kite to a local ruin called Crichton Castle. The wind was blowing across a valley so it was a bit turbulent but we got the rig in the air and took a few shots.

After getting a few shots off I decided to get a better shot of the castle we would have to be on the other side, a walk of about half a mile. I lowered the kite a bit and took the camera off the line and started to walk with the kite still about 80feet in the air. There were some trees between us and the castle but I was sure I could manage between them and set off, we I did get past the trees, but as the kite was almost another 30 feet behind me it took a nose dive in a strong gust and pulled the line right through the top of the to the ground  >:( OK I thought, I'll put the line down, untie the kite and pull the line trough, just then the kite shot into the air again, I held on tight and the line ripped back up through the branches and was free  :dance: , I quickly ran along the road to get it past the trees.

As we passed the castle, and as I expected there was some rough air, the kite dashed all over the sky before landing in grass, I wound up the line and carried it past the rough bit. We launched again and took a few more shots but my confidence was a little shaken so decided to pack it all up for today, go home and think about what I had learned and have a look at my shots. 75% blur due to motion as the camera swung 10% with random ground shots 15% with views of the subject at various jaunty angles, well what would you expect from a camera on the end of a bit string on a windy day, I can't wait to get out again  :tup:

Graham

Love the second one, I was going to make a comment about "Mad dogs & Englishmen", but then rememberd where your from. :uglystupid2:
  I know nothing about this, so when you say "Kite" is it designed for purpose or just "A Kite". I seem to remember from when I was a nipper (50 odd years ago.) that those square tube shaped thingys* were much more stable in the air.
                   Graham. ???

* Quote from the "Ladybird Book of Geometric Shapes and Stuff."

Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. 

My Gallery
My Flickr Pics

rksmith51

Hi Graeme, you have to use a very stable kite, so some have been designed to be " boring " they just sit in the sky or go up and down, well that's the plan. The web is full of stories of how its very hard to get a problem free flight, especially when you are lifting a few pounds of radio and camera. The wind today almost lifted me and I was expecting the kite to explode at one point. My kite is like a small parafoil, like the new sky divers parachute. The ones you see on the beach are steerable with two lines, not mine, its trimmed for stable flight.

It sounds like your a bit interested, beware, the cost is mounting up as I've spent a few hundred pounds now on radio, kite, line, gloves, camera rig. You can do it a lot cheaper but I like all the facilities like pan and tilt etc. I bought bits and bobs at B&Q tonight to make a winding reel £50  :uglystupid2: I almost fell of my wallet.

The leason I learned today was that you have to be much farther away from the subject you want to shoot and you just keep shooting till the card is full as you only have a vague idea of where the camera is pointing by looking at the wee stick that you wind the radio antenna on .

Oldboy

Quote from: Graham on August 20, 2011, 06:21:36 PM
  Love the second one, I was going to make a comment about "Mad dogs & Englishmen", but then rememberd where your from. :uglystupid2:

:2funny: :2funny:

rksmith51

A few more from today, we had our granddaughter with us so I was limited to 10 mins flying or so, but loads of attention from the public is a down side  too.

Oldboy

When are you going to try it with the D3s!  :P :uglystupid2: :legit:

skellum

Some great unusual shots here, I would like to get some arial shots of the lakes one day, Hot Air Baloon flight has been suggested but I know Jinky has been waiting a while for his flight.

Hinfrance

Hats off to you Bob, and what a joyous time you must be having too. Look forward to seeing more of the results.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

ABERS

Must be a great feeling when it all comes together, terrific stuff Bob. :tup:
Must go and have a lay down now and wait for the vertigo to wear off. :o

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.