• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,412
  • Total Topics: 5,705
  • Online today: 249
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 239
  • Total: 239
Wish
Temu £100 Coupon bundle o...Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning Resources

Chat - CHIAROSCURO - Weekly Comp 6-12 August

Started by Hinfrance, August 05, 2012, 03:06:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hinfrance

Chat Thread

Chiaroscuro is basically a fancy work for adding emphasis to a subject using dark shadows. The Wikipedia definition is HERE

So make something pop out of the surrounding darkness. Above all, have fun.

No PP restrictions.

Pictures to be taken between 00.01am Monday 6th August 2012 to 23:59 Sunday  12th August 2012 .
Pictures to be posted in the entries thread no later than 23.59pm Monday 13th August 2012.
Poll will be up Tuesday 14th August 2012.
Winner to be announced Saturday18th August 2012.

The Rules for the weekly competition are...

By entering you agree to take responsibility to
Post a topic on the Sunday following your declared win
Create an entries thread
Create a chat thread
Create a poll for that weeks comp and declare the winner on the Saturday
(if for any reason there is a problem and no subject is posted by the winner by Monday night admin will advise second place winner to post the topic asap, do the poll etc)

In case of a tie, the first entry posted wins.

Photos to be taken during the specified dates, ie Monday xx to Sunday xx

Pictures to be posted in the entries thread no later than 23.59 Monday night
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Matthew

I am glad you put the definition up.....I was thinking Chiaroscuro was an Italian sausage... :dance:

Might give this one a go, will be my first on here if I do. I have ideas brewing already.

Never argue with a stupid person, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Reinardina

Quote from: highlandscenics on August 05, 2012, 04:04:56 PM
I am glad you put the definition up.....I was thinking Chiaroscuro was an Italian sausage... :dance:

Might give this one a go, will be my first on here if I do. I have ideas brewing already.

Good! It's about time you entered!

Beauty is bought by judgment of the eye.
Shakespeare. (Love's Labours Lost.)

DigiDiva

What an exciting theme, and a great challenge. Can I just ask, what the difference is between Chiaroscuro and Low Key?

Nice to see you considering an entry Matthew. Hope all is well with you and your wife.
Please visit my website @ www.sunderlandwallart.com

Matthew

Haha Reinardina, better late than never....Cheers Chris.....I need to get back behind the lens, so hopefully this will pull me out of the rut I am in, photographically. We are doing fine, well Tammy has been poorly this last few days......picked her up from work on Tuesday night and she was as weak as a kitten.....something viral the docs reckon......she's on the mend now though thankfully.... :tup:
Never argue with a stupid person, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Kerry Holt

Quote from: DigiDiva on August 05, 2012, 09:43:31 PM
What an exciting theme, and a great challenge. Can I just ask, what the difference is between Chiaroscuro and Low Key?

Good question i am thinking the same??

it reminds me of that dark theme you set on the other site DD a few weeks back! Also you look so different with your new avatar   :)

ABERS

Can be a bit of a puzzle sometimes. The two can appear to overlap. Low key lighting can be used amongst other things to give a chiaroscuro effect.

E.g. Low key can be used as a backlight only just to give a rim light effect, which does not fall into the chiaroscuro genre.

Have a look at

http://www.caravaggio-foundation.org/the-complete-works.html

for some ace use of the chiaroscuro effect in art.

Matthew

Loving this theme....it has certainly got the old grey matter churning....started off like an old deisel engine  :uglystupid2:......but I think I have an idea. Just what I need to get my inspiration back.. ;)

jinky

Not sure if this is what is looked for but thought I`d have a little fun with some props I have got for a wedding shoot on Friday. I`m setting up a booth in the evening featuring my very own homemade moustaches, glasses,red lips and assorted props such as pipes, cigars and of course my arrow through the head which I could not resist after seeing H`s archery shooting in France - nice set H  ;)

Hinfrance

Nice one Paul, but you have no idea how many sets it took me to get one with that grouping  :'(

I still haven't had an idea for this one. Got a couple of days though.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

jinky

Quote from: Hinfrance on August 09, 2012, 01:54:58 PM
Nice one Paul, but you have no idea how many sets it took me to get one with that grouping  :'(

I still haven't had an idea for this one. Got a couple of days though.

I`d have just stuck 3 in the gold by hand and be done  ;)

Hinfrance

If I'd done that I'd be no better than an Australian cyclist   :legit:
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr

Oldboy

DigiDiva

OK, I made it this week..had lots of fun doing it too......so here he is....

GARGOYLE

I applied a desaturate, then a sepia effect, then an omni lighting effect.

Does anyone think (if you cover the horns) it looks like a certain english football manager (won't say who for fear of offense, but if you can see the resemblance you will know who Im meaning) lol??? It also resembles a 'late' Carry On Actor don't you think? Maybe thats just me seeing these things..Am I loosing the plot? Please tell me you guys see it too!!!
Please visit my website @ www.sunderlandwallart.com

ABERS

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.