• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,411
  • Total Topics: 5,704
  • Online today: 136
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 116
  • Total: 116
7ds
Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning ResourcesPhotography and Time of D...

Xmas list or That time of year again!

Started by magicrhodes, October 29, 2009, 09:38:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

magicrhodes

I recently bought a "How to Photograph Everything" by Ang Lee or someone and has since realised it is really basic e.g. for sports photography turn the dial on your camera to sports... Thanks. For. That.

So I am looking for a book that will move me from beginner (as opposed to absolute beginner) to medium... I kind of understand aperture and shutter speed, I have an idea of exposure and ISO settings but I really need something that is going to give me an opportunity to progress. So can anyone recommend anything?

oRGie

Loads of good books out there, but I'm not one for learning photography from books, like you I read a couple when I started out and they were quite basic too...  You have the basics, so a great way to learn is the weekly comps, they get you thinking about a subject and you learn as you work out what your going to do for your submission, you will learn all sorts of techniques from the others in the comp and from your trial and error :)

Forseti

Yes, how about this one: Real World Image Sharpening with Adobe Photoshop, Camera Raw, and Lightroom (Paperback), a much misunderstood subject but one that can have a great impact upon your images. If this book is only half as good as his last, Real World Camera Raw, then it will be an excellent book to have in one's arsenal.

More details here http://www.amazon.co.uk/World-Sharpening-Photoshop-Camera-Lightroom/dp/0321637550/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1256812006&sr=8-1
Canon 7D,  Canon SX1 IS, EF100 f/2.8 USM Macro, EF70-200 f/4 L IS USM, EF17-40 f/4 L USM, Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM, Canon Speedlite 580EX MkII

"Everyone can take a great picture with digital, the knack is to take two" - David Bailey

picsfor

Looks interesting - could be added to the list. It is one of those grey areas i still need to understand.

If the Euro Lottery had been entered and won, i wouldn't mind another 5D Mk II body or a battery grip.

More realistically though i am hoping to get some more filters. Have a fancy for an old 'starburst'.

Ooh giving my age away now aren't i?

Hinfrance

I'd like some decent prime lenses so that I don't need to use too much darkroom sharpening. Oooh, look that pig just flew past my window. Ah well . . .

The extract of the book I read was very basic stuff - I presume it gets more complex as it goes along, but the extracts I read on amazon were nothing I didn't already know (and have long since moved beyond).

I'll be sticking to the usual, a decent bottle of scotch and a bag of cob nuts. :)
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.