• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,412
  • Total Topics: 5,705
  • Online today: 59
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 55
  • Total: 55
If you would like to make a donation to help with the running costs of the site, then a donation button has been added to the bottom of the page.  Thanks.
Temu £100 Coupon bundle o...Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning Resources

I have another new lens, but it was a deal!

Started by donoreo, September 23, 2014, 02:18:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

donoreo

Look at all the money I saved!  It was so low I couldn't not buy it! (any other rationalizations you can put in here)  :tup:

A camera shop near work is going out of business after 30 years.   So of course I had to wander in for the liquidation sale to see what I could find. 

They had a Tamron SP 90mm f/2.8 Di Macro VC.  It was used but in excellent shape, no scratches on it, it had the box, everything.  I got it for $320.  New for it is $750+ here. 

It is nice and very sharp.  I have only tried it out on a few shots but I am happy so far. 

Oldboy

Quote from: donoreo on September 23, 2014, 02:18:10 PM
Look at all the money I saved!  It was so low I couldn't not buy it! (any other rationalizations you can put in here)  :tup:

A camera shop near work is going out of business after 30 years.   So of course I had to wander in for the liquidation sale to see what I could find. 

They had a Tamron SP 90mm f/2.8 Di Macro VC.  It was used but in excellent shape, no scratches on it, it had the box, everything.  I got it for $320.  New for it is $750+ here. 

It is nice and very sharp.  I have only tried it out on a few shots but I am happy so far.

You could use it for a year and sell it for more than you brought it for therefore, it would have been daft not to have brought it.  :tup:

donoreo

ooooooh that is a good one.  The thing is my wife did not even blink when I said I got another lens.  She does trust that I got an excellent deal on it but I thought I might be risking it since I just got the 70-200 L a couple of weeks ago. 

hssutton

Well that was quite a bargain, hope you enjoy using it. Which 70-200 did you get? initially I had the f/4 very nice lens and not too heavy, but eventually ebayed it and bought the f/2.8 version. I'm not in the market for new lenses as I can't manage to carry the ones I already, so have to make a decision every time I go out. You can guarantee the lens I leave at home suddenly become the lens I should have taken. Mind you I do have a new camera coming in a few weeks time :)

Harry

donoreo

I have the f/4.  I would love the IS version or the 2.8 but they are much more expensive. 

Here is a test photo from the macro (click it to make larger):

Hinfrance

I have the Tamron SP90 too. It is one of my two favourite lenses. It's not just a fantastic macro lens, but brilliant for portraits too.

Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Reinardina

I still don't know the first thing about lenses. I have two, the kit lens, I think it's called, and a 'longer' one. Tele lens?
Haven't got a clue. I do not have a head for this part of photography. My tutor despairs! He's explained it so often, that I should know these things by heart, but no, nothing sticks. My age probably.

Beauty is bought by judgment of the eye.
Shakespeare. (Love's Labours Lost.)

ABERS

Quote from: Reinardina on September 24, 2014, 07:58:22 AM
I still don't know the first thing about lenses. I have two, the kit lens, I think it's called, and a 'longer' one. Tele lens?
Haven't got a clue. I do not have a head for this part of photography. My tutor despairs! He's explained it so often, that I should know these things by heart, but no, nothing sticks. My age probably.

Don't worry Reinardina, the only lenses that are important and that you really do need to know about, are the two just to the left and right above your nose.  It's an old chestnut that raises many a hackle but no amount of extra equipment will make you a better photographer. It sometimes just allows you a different view, but not necessarily a better one. :legit:

Reinardina

Quote from: ABERS on September 24, 2014, 08:25:09 AM
Quote from: Reinardina on September 24, 2014, 07:58:22 AM

Don't worry Reinardina, the only lenses that are important and that you really do need to know about, are the two just to the left and right above your nose.  It's an old chestnut that raises many a hackle but no amount of extra equipment will make you a better photographer. It sometimes just allows you a different view, but not necessarily a better one. :legit:

Thanks Alan, that is very reassuring. But I do like to have a different view occasionally. I sometimes think, I should have stuck with my bridge camera, as I am very clumsy changing lenses. I still have the bridge, maybe I should recommission it, and take both cameras, but I hate to be weighed down by equipment.

The two lenses above my nose are not fully operational, especially the left one is of no use at all on its own. It does 'add' a bit to the overall view though.

hssutton

Reinardina.

Alan's spot on in what he says. Back in the old days, all most would have had, would have been a fixed 50mm lens and believe me the results could be/were fantastic.

Also I must agree with you regarding age, I will shortly be receiving a new camera which is probably one of the most complex of all DSLRs, I'm reading up as much as I can on this camera, but unfortunately nothing is remaining in my head.
I'm much, much older than you, even Oldboy is still a youngster in comparison  :)

Harry

Simple

Harry,
Let me know when you have the new camera. I would love to go out for a shoot again!
I will do the driving and we keep the walking definitely to less than a Yorkshire mile!!

Reinardina

Harry,

I find hands on experience with a camera easier than first reading up on it! If I try that, I get totally lost, and forget everything immediately.

I do read up, once I got to know the camera a bit, as it seems to make more sense then.

Simple, in another thread you say you were born in Middelburg. Are you a 'secret' Dutchman, or did you family happen to live there at the time?

And about age ... I know the age (more or less) of some people here , but for the rest, I haven't a clue. I always thought that OB, in spite of his name, was not that old at all.

donoreo

Quote from: Hinfrance on September 24, 2014, 05:58:02 AM
I have the Tamron SP90 too. It is one of my two favourite lenses. It's not just a fantastic macro lens, but brilliant for portraits too.
It is very sharp.  I took a photo on the weekend and at 100% zoom still looks good. 

hssutton

Don very pleased to hear that the lens OK, the photo certainly confirms this. Nice job. Oh and by the way your Lancaster bomber is on it's way back home. Thanks for the loan, but can we have our engine back please, as we are getting rather short on Lancster engines:)
Simon hopefully the 7D mk11 should be in stock ready for delivery on 14 November, will let you know.

Reinardina, my memory is now so bad I will probably set it up to how I shoot, then apart from the amazing focusing system will promptly forget the rest :)

Harry

donoreo

Quote from: hssutton on September 24, 2014, 06:10:34 PM

Don very pleased to hear that the lens OK, the photo certainly confirms this. Nice job. Oh and by the way your Lancaster bomber is on it's way back home. Thanks for the loan, but can we have our engine back please, as we are getting rather short on Lancster engines:)
Simon hopefully the 7D mk11 should be in stock ready for delivery on 14 November, will let you know.

Reinardina, my memory is now so bad I will probably set it up to how I shoot, then apart from the amazing focusing system will promptly forget the rest :)

Harry
Thanks!  I heard they had to replace the engine.  I wonder what they are going to do permanently. 

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.