• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,412
  • Total Topics: 5,705
  • Online today: 249
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 19
  • Total: 19
If you would like to make a donation to help with the running costs of the site, then a donation button has been added to the bottom of the page.  Thanks.
Temu £100 Coupon bundle o...Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning Resources

What made you feel good today

Started by greypoint, August 13, 2009, 10:26:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hinfrance

Did you keep the receipt?

But then I guess it's not really for making 'phone calls at all, is it?
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Jonathan

Quote from: Tringle WP on June 24, 2010, 08:47:14 PM
Did you keep the receipt?

But then I guess it's not really for making 'phone calls at all, is it?

Oh NO!!!!!!  Is it too late to return it.....?

Oh hang on.  Is there any chance this is related to the "if you put an iPod on your back pocket it can break" story?  Or the "ooo MacBooks can explode" story?  (That one was true and was equally true of Dells and any other make that used Sony batteries).  Or the "Al Qa'ida use the iPad to slaughter American babies" story?

I can't remember a recent Apple launch that wasn't
1. Massively over hyped (no, they did not invent video calling - or the phone come to think of it)
2. Extremely smug
3. Accompanied by a thin looking story in the press that may or may not have been planted because of points 1 & 2.  Or may even be a piece of viral marketing by Apple's spin team (not only filling the media wall to wall with "the new phone is here" but also "THE NEW PHONE may or may not have a weakness")

Apple are big boys.  If there's a widespread problem with the iPhone 4 they will fix it.

BTW a blog like Cnet saying "if you want to be famous for 5 mins then just confirm you have this fault - don't worry if you're lying cos nobody will ever know" is neither journalism nor very interesting.
It's Guest's round

Hinfrance

Only winding you up Jonathan. There does seem to be  a real but not the end of the world design flaw, however, caused largely by the need to adhere to FCC regs in the states. The technical gen is HERE.

I'm sure it's very pretty and will get you lots of attention :)
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Jonathan

Quote from: Tringle WP on June 25, 2010, 10:50:21 AM
The technical gen is HERE.

Ah cool.  That's why try as I might I couldn't replicate the fault (I hadn't looked exactly where you have to hold it).  With my tiny hands it would be awkward to bridge that gap.

Now if you want to make fun of the iPhone 4 there's a lot more mileage in the voice "control" system.  So far today it has misinterpreted "play Florence and the Machine" as "call Irv B" and "dial 01227....[my home phone number..." as, err, "call Irv B".  (Sorry Irv).  I'm now actually scared to use it.  I guess it would be nice if you could train it.  Or restrict commands or something.  But unless you talk exactly like Stevie J I wouldn't use it unless your hand was near the cancel button.
It's Guest's round

hevans

Interesting read, Howard.

A quick play with my android shows a similar tendency for left handed operation, and the final few paragraphs would explain why the phone does seem to lose signal when in my back pocket - it seems the best way to store it in the back pocket is with the screen facing the skin.

The bit with shorting the antenna, though looks like a design flaw. Phone is in the pocket, keys about, etc. There's a reason previous generations of phones had the antenna protected behind plastic.  Not to mention that people's skin is conductive (although not as much as a brass/aluminium key).

Now if they could harness the conductive power of the human body to provide the antenna solution, that would be a real development, i.e. hold the phone and you get a better signal.

Jonathan

Quote from: hevans on June 25, 2010, 01:39:33 PM
Phone is in the pocket, keys about, etc.

ARE YOU CRAZY??????  Put something that gorgeous in a pocket with keys?  I'd rather leave my house unlocked :)
It's Guest's round

picsfor

Quote from: Jonathan on June 25, 2010, 03:57:59 PM

ARE YOU CRAZY??????  Put something that gorgeous in a pocket with keys?  I'd rather leave my house unlocked :)

A bit of understanding please Jonathan. He doesn't understand - he's not a Mac user  :tup: :dance:

Hinfrance

Now if they could harness the conductive power of the human body to provide the antenna solution, that would be a real development, i.e. hold the phone and you get a better signal.

Well it works with the remote control for the car - touch the transmitter to the side of your head and the range almost doubles. And it works with most other RF receivers, most of the time. So why not 'phones?

Have you considered that Irv might be Steve J's best mate?

PS, I love the Daily Mash take on this
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr

hevans

Quote from: Jonathan on June 25, 2010, 03:57:59 PM

ah, yes...sorry. So, what colour is the velvet charging cushion? ::)

To be honest, I don't think that shorting of the antenna is an issue anyway. It looks like you have to work hard to achieve a short. The only circumstances I can think of where it might occur is if it's wet. Either way, it'd be a rare occurrence.

For me, though, it's still too big to be a practical phone - too wide and tall. I like a small device I can keep in my front pocket...next to the keys and in the right place to keep the testicles warm. :o

H.

Oldboy

Quote from: hevans on June 25, 2010, 08:19:00 PM
the right place to keep the testicles warm. :o

H.

Have it switched on to vibrate do we?  :2funny:  :legit:

hevans

Quote from: Oldboy on June 25, 2010, 09:48:31 PM
Quote from: hevans on June 25, 2010, 08:19:00 PM
the right place to keep the testicles warm. :o

H.

Have it switched on to vibrate do we?  :2funny:  :legit:

Oh Yes! Call me!  :D

H.

anglefire

My iPhone 3Gs is now running OS4 - and i like it a lot.

Still got a year to run on the contract, so I'll wait for the iPhone 5 or 6 :)
----------------------------------
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Current Bodies:
Canon 1Dx
Canon R3
Canon R5

Sold Bodies:
Canon 350D
Canon 1DMk3
Canon 5D
Canon 1Dx Mk3

spinner

Quote from: Tringle WP on June 25, 2010, 04:47:17 PM

Well it works with the remote control for the car - touch the transmitter to the side of your head and the range almost doubles. And it works with most other RF receivers, most of the time. So why not 'phones?

That doesn't have anything to do with the metal plate in there does it? :legit:
And more, much more than this, I did it my way
Ol' blue eyes

http://ddsdigita4.wix.com/ddsdigital
https://www.flickr.com/photos/spin498/

Hinfrance

Seriously Spin, try it. Walk away from your car trying the remote control. When it no longer works, walk another couple of metres away, hold the remote to the side of your head and press one of the buttons - it should work.

I use this 'trick' all the time to open or close the locks when it would otherwise not be possible.

There's lots of stuff in my head, but none of it is a metal plate :)
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr

Jonathan

Just got a Tweet from a dress designer about the latest issue of "Attire Bridal" (it's OK - I'd hardly heard of it).

http://www.attirebridal.com/previous_issues_detail.cfm?Issue_ID=20

Yeah that's my snap on the cover :)  Plus a few more inside.
It's Guest's round

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.