• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,411
  • Total Topics: 5,704
  • Online today: 297
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 220
  • Total: 220
bhphotovideo
Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning ResourcesPhotography and Time of D...

Why do we do it?

Started by SimonW, November 27, 2012, 04:42:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SimonW

Why do we do it? Enter the weekly competition, that is.

Personally I enjoy the challenge of taking a photo to meet a specific requirement which I might not normally look for, and of course I try to take a shot which pleases me and hopefully others. I hope that meeting the challenge and seeing my entry compared to others will help improve my photographic skills (such as they are).

Here we see how many people liked each shot best of all the entries. This is rather different from a camera club competition where a single judge will give an opinion - which must be to some extent personal and may not reflect a majority view - on each photo. It's interesting that some weeks the votes can be evenly spread while other times there will be a clear cut winner. Either way it all helps us to understand what people like to see in a photograph.

And it's fun.
Simon Warren
(in Dunning, Scotland)

ABERS

Quite a lot of us don't, not because we don't find it exciting or stretching but mainly because we don't have the time.

On the rare occasion when I go out with a camera it's to find something that is perhaps unusual or eyecatching. I find that if you go out with a specific subject in mind you have no idea what you might have missed whilst concentrating on that specific subject and you end up with something that is usually a 'make-do'. That I think is because there is a time limit between which the entries must have been taken.

When you look at other forums the competition element seems eventually to take it over to the exclusion of all else and is usually just populated by the half dozen or so that are interested in such activity.
Not the case here on CC. There is still a widespread of activity and banter that makes it enjoyable.

I always look at the current competition entries and sometimes vote, so although I don't enter I take part. ;)

Hinfrance

Well, I do it (usually) because it's nice to be sociable, it stops the batteries rotting in the camera, and sometimes I get something I really like that might just end up enlarged on the wall somewhere if my vastly better half can be persuaded.

Like all these things it's really down to what you make of it. :tup:
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

jinky

I must admit that I have slipped out of the habit lately. Been getting a few paid jobs - not loads, just enough to pay for gear and trips as I wanted but often means I end up doing little stuff for myself.
I aim to get back into the challenges I do here and elsewhere as it gives me a theme to shoot to and a little bit of challenge for my fuddled brain to make me think a bit about getting something a little different. That said at times lately I`ve been inclined to throw in anything that loosely fits. First time in a while this weekend that I have taken an hour or so to go looking for a shot. Picking food stuff this week might get me out there again!

michaelb104

I do it mainly to make me use my camera each week but this has not happened much lately, I am trying to get back in the habit, so hope I can keep it up.
Mike

My Flickr   .   My Fluidr

Graham

I don't enter because if, by some collective madness, you were to vote me the winner, I wouldn't have the first clue as to how to set up the next weeks theme! :o
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. 

My Gallery
My Flickr Pics

Beaux Reflets

I do it for the enjoyment and discipline although it has to fit in with the general weekly activity.

Jump in Graham  ;)
:beer: Andy

"Light anchors things in place and gives perspective meaning."

The choices we make are rooted in reflection.

http://beauxreflets.blogspot.com/

Matthew

I must admit, for the first few weeks of joining I didn't have the inclination to start entering the weekly comps, again for the same reason I gave them up over on DCW. I was spending far too much time meeting a brief than on my own "style", so I was slowly becoming a competition zombie, churning out requested shots week in week out.

I think I just needed a break and now I have been able to maintain a healthy balance between the two. I find I can do a competition and also shoot for myself...or I can simply not do a competition and just head out with the camera a see what springs up.

I have enjoyed the competitions so far, they are good for jump starting the ol' grey matter when inspiration runs low......even more so now the cold, damp winter has set in. :tup:
Never argue with a stupid person, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Reinardina

I like the challenge of trying to find something that fits, but have been quite busy with other photographic things recently, and then indeed, as Alan says, there's a risk you miss things, because you're only looking in one direction.
At the moment I'm a bit 'out of it' altogether, due to circumstances, and I haven't found a decent thing for this week's comp yet, so I may have to skip a week.

One reason I have been entering CC's competition and giving up on the 'other one,' is the voting, which 'over there' has become rather 'iffy.'

Beauty is bought by judgment of the eye.
Shakespeare. (Love's Labours Lost.)

donoreo

I only like it for the comments on the photos.   I am not about the competition.  I have so far not participated in my camera club's competitions either. 

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.