• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,411
  • Total Topics: 5,704
  • Online today: 178
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 24
  • Total: 24
wex
Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning ResourcesPhotography and Time of D...

Infra red photography

Started by Jediboy, December 31, 2020, 02:37:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jediboy

Hi,

I just stumbled across an old photo from a few years ago when I tried my hand at infra red photography. It has left me with a burning desire to do some more.

But before I do I thought I would ask here and see if anyone has any experiences / advice regarding this?

I have a Hoya IR filter that I seem to have misplaced. Even considering converting an old D300. Doing some research on that now.

Any thoughts / ideas appreciated.

Thanks, and best wishes to you all for 2021 and beyond.

Chris
May the Force be with you.

Chris

Jediboy

This is the photo I found. Not brilliant but good enough to inspire me to do more.
Need to look at editing too. (Perhaps this could be my new years resolution?)

Chris

StephenBatey

My infra red experience with black and white film in the 1960s failed to impress me - wrong subjects, wrong expectations. I really enjoyed using Kodak IR Ektachrome and still have a couple of rolls. It does require E4 processing though and we're now on E6.

It did result in my trying again with one of the visually opaque IR filters on a Sony a7rii, and surprisingly (to me) if I set the highest possible ISO I could get an image with the lens wide open and a rather longer exposure than I care to hand hold. It confirmed that some cameras are able to just about manage an IR image without having the filter removed, so it's well worth a try to see how it goes.

I've seen a lot of stunning IR photos in black and white, and someday may get a camera converted. I'd like to try colour IR again, if only to test a theory that with two exposures made with and without a filter and using a tripod could be combined in Photoshop with channel changing and discarding the blue image.

IR Ektachrome was conceptually just like a normal RGB three colour emulsion, except that the colours were all shifted one place, dropping the B and inserting IR in the sensitivities but keeping the normal colours, so IR came out red etc..

Definitely worth giving it a go.

And as this will probably be my last post this year, a happy new year to everyone. :beer:
Both income tax and lockdowns were introduced as temporary measures by the government.

Oldboy

And a Happy New Year to you as well.  :fworks3:

Jediboy

I have been doing some reading on the subject today Stephen. It seems that most cameras these days block out pretty much all IR light. The filters seems to do a good job though.

It would cost about £250 to convert my old D300 so I'll settle for filters for now. I have just purchased some new,  cheap ones from Amazon. They should be here in a few days and I'll get playing.

Chris

Jediboy

Quote from: Oldboy on December 31, 2020, 06:31:12 PM
And a Happy New Year to you as well.  :fworks3:

Cheers Oldboy. Love the fireworks!

Chris

jinky

Happy New Year

I still have my old 5mp Sony F701 camera as I was able to do hand held infra re photography with a couple of specific filters on it that gave good results. My only experience I am afraid but has made me want to get the old camera out and try it again

jinky

These are a few I shot years back. had a link then to a guy showing you how to mess around with colour balance etc that I really liked the style of. Cannot remember how now

You just need plenty of greenery around to really see the impact of infra red for me so spring is better than winter

Jediboy

Great photos Jinky.
I really like that its a bit different.
I have been watching some YouTube videos which will help me. Then also editing.

Good luck if you try some more, I would love to see how you get on.

Chris

Jediboy

I finally got round to having another go at IR. The new filters I used were gathering dust and the sun came out, I had a few minutes to spare so thought I'd have a go in the back garden.

This was my effort. Needs work, and editing proving a massive headache, even with the help of Youtube.
My 50mm prime has some damage to a small switch, meaning I had to use a lollypop stick to press it down, and I think I just caught the focus ring when I was inserting the lollypop stick!  :doh:

Chris

Jediboy

I think it will be a lot of trial and error. But I like a challenge!

Chris

jinky

Jediboy

Thanks Jinky.
I'm quite pleased, but want it to be better.

Chris

Jediboy

I popped out this morning and had another go at IR, and again the post processing is a bit of a headache. Like I said before, lots of trial and error.
Anyway, this is the local church.

Chris

Jediboy

Chris

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.