• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,411
  • Total Topics: 5,704
  • Online today: 148
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 161
  • Total: 161
bhphotovideo
Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning ResourcesPhotography and Time of D...

Do You See What I See

Started by Beaux Reflets, September 25, 2011, 02:16:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beaux Reflets

I often use terms to describe or comment upon photographs like; good balance, lovely composition lines or shapes, nicely balanced tones; that may appear like comments of madness.  :2funny:

I tend to use these terms when my 'eye is held' within an image by these intentioned / unintentional inherent qualities, and it all probably stems from artistic training or a personal point of view, that while to some, may sound like 'arty farty speak', are quite simply comments upon 'visual devices' that I see within a photograph.

So do you see the same optical illusion that I see ? (Feel free to say, No, you have gone mad in the head  :beer:)

It is easy to explain lead in lines etc., but do you see hidden lines or shapes, provided by the light and darker tones within an image?

Areas of a photograph that seem to grip your eye to focus upon certain details in a sublime way (without need of vignette post processing tricks, however tastefully it's done).

Like the large 'hidden' outline of a heart shape (only broken by the white water) that holds my eye to focus on the central area of stones etc., in this shot taken by Des.

:beer: Andy

"Light anchors things in place and gives perspective meaning."

The choices we make are rooted in reflection.

http://beauxreflets.blogspot.com/

Oldboy

No, don't see it myself. We all see things differently, which is related to our upbringing and experience. That's why life is interesting and we react to different things as we see them. If we were all the same it would be a bore.  ;D

Reinardina

Think I can just see the (top of) the heart shape, but only because you pointed towards it.
I'm normally not very good at spotting the potential of a photograph. I like a photograph, or not, but sometimes other people point out the possibilities, that I have totally overlooked. It often is something simple, like a crop to bring out the 'good bits,' or the infamous Dutch angle, which I don't always see. (Read: only see, if everything seems to slip off the page!)

I have, of course, a good excuse; being partially sighted, I sometimes simply don't see something, unless I have it in front of me on my screen.

I realise however that there is still a lot to be learned about photography, I still only am at the very starting point of the whole journey.

Beauty is bought by judgment of the eye.
Shakespeare. (Love's Labours Lost.)

anglefire

I see what seem to be wings in the top of the photograph. Possibly a body of a bird too.

Interesting!
----------------------------------
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Current Bodies:
Canon 1Dx
Canon R3
Canon R5

Sold Bodies:
Canon 350D
Canon 1DMk3
Canon 5D
Canon 1Dx Mk3

Markulous

Nope, no optical illusion - just the detailess burned highlight of the 'falls!  :'(
Comp's pretty good though!  ;)
Whatever and ever. Amen
http://smg.photobucket.com/home/Markulous/index
Mark @ Photobucket

ABERS

I think I can see the heart but it takes a bit of searching for and I'm sure Des would own up not to seeing it himself when pressing the button. ;)

There is so much within this picture (trees, water, rocks and some sort of man-made structure in the right side background) that perhaps one could find all sorts of 'hidden' images.

But does or should a picture ask you to search for hidden or subliminal images within it?

Reinardina

Quote from: ABERS on September 25, 2011, 11:20:34 PM
I think I can see the heart but it takes a bit of searching for and I'm sure Des would own up not to seeing it himself when pressing the button. ;)

There is so much within this picture (trees, water, rocks and some sort of man-made structure in the right side background) that perhaps one could find all sorts of 'hidden' images.

But does or should a picture ask you to search for hidden or subliminal images within it?

Only if you want to, or as a test, or for a competition etc.
Some people simply 'see' things immediately, others don't. (I don't.)

Beauty is bought by judgment of the eye.
Shakespeare. (Love's Labours Lost.)

Beaux Reflets

Quote from: ABERS on September 25, 2011, 11:20:34 PM

Only if the photographer desires. We all see things from our own individual perspectives.

The aspects we individually note in a scene form part of the decisions we make in positioning the camera and composing a shot. Sometimes such decisions are governed by subconscious thought. built into our thinking, through training and experience.

The subliminal image shape is not of importance, triangular, rectangular or round etc.; but I know if I had come upon the same scene, I may well have balanced the view in a similar way, with the larger rocks eitherside and the curved band of darker foliage over head helping to frame the scene. (Although through personal taste I would have probably used a slightly faster shutter).

In the same way I instinctively composed this shot, positioning the camera to take advantage of the circular shape formed by the darker shape of the tree to the left, the lit areas of the cloud, and lit area in the righand foliage, taking my eye back round to the tip of the dogs nose. :beer:

:beer: Andy

"Light anchors things in place and gives perspective meaning."

The choices we make are rooted in reflection.

http://beauxreflets.blogspot.com/

mondmagu

I think you have lost the plot Andy ;D ;D
Only joking Andy! I never think of looking for hidden details or implied structures in photos.I purely take shots of what is pleasing to my eye.My interest in this one was the converging of the two river sections.Some people say that 'less is more' but I like a photo with interesting details.
I do see the heart shape you refer to Andy but only after your observation.Also the bird shape that Mark refers to,which is in fact a tree branch. :o

Apologies to Markulous for the burnt out detail, post processing is not my forte,but thanks for pointing that out.I will try to improve. :'(

In answer to Abers question,I personally don't search for hidden details in photos but I do look all round the frame to try to take in all the details for a complete picture which is only respectful to the photographer who took the shot in the first place.After all,they put in time and effort to submit an interesting photo for others to enjoy. 8)
Des
www.flickr.com/photos/mondmagu

picsfor

I become hypnotised looking for the subliminal messages and signs.

It cost me 2 pairs of shoes and a new coat for the OH  >:(

Now all she has to do is click her fingers - bloody annoying! :knuppel2:

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.