• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,412
  • Total Topics: 5,705
  • Online today: 55
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 24
  • Total: 24
  • Google
Wish
Temu £100 Coupon bundle o...Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning Resources

Follow-on discussion on my photo in my gallery "Sabine"

Started by Sarasocke, March 17, 2010, 04:22:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sarasocke

Firstly, thanks for all your comments in the gallery. Following Jonathan's suggestion, I've opened a thread.

I have little experience in this type of photography, but enjoyed the challenge. Sabine was pleased with the photograph, which I guess is the main thing, but I realise I have alot to learn.

I'm somewhat limited as I only have our sitting room and conservatory to use as a "studio", and due to the conservatory not having any blinds, we opted for the sitting room this time.
The lighting was a lamp with a warm filament. I didn't want the photos to be too light, so I didn't bring in any other lamps. Probably my first mistake.

Rather, I think my main mistake was the lack of eye contact - she was supposed to look more "alloof" but I guess that didn't work too well.

The photo is only cropped at the top - to fit my A4 paper. I used a 90mm lense, probably would have been better with a 50mm.

Carol aka Sarasocke 
My Gallery

Jonathan

'k I guess I'll go first.....

QuoteSabine was pleased with the photograph, which I guess is the main thing

Absolutely, that's the first last and sometimes only thing that matters.  Remember that everything that follows is only my opinion.  It's no more or less valid than anybody else's oher than (1) yours and (2) hers.  Your client likes it you should be happy.  You like it and that's a bonus ;)  Anybody else liking it is just for warm fuzzies.

Now then.  Imagine I was some lecherous old bloke (I know...) and I posted this shot with the comment "hey my neighbour wasn't looking today and I snapped her falling out of her blouse".  A crude example but I reckon if you put it on Flickr with that caption people would believe you.  The complete lack of connection with the viewer and the slightly careless pose makes it look like a stolen shot than a portrait and that makes me uncomfortable.  Even the faintest ghost of a smile or a spark in the eyes would alter this dramatically.

I think the lighting is pretty nice.  The skin could do with a LITTLE attention.  I routinely retouch all skin on female headshots for anybody over the age of about 12.  And almost never admit it ;) There are plenty of tutorials on the net about this.  For "more mature" subjects you can retouch on a layer, leave it 20 mins, come back and then adjust the opacity of the layer to get a nice result.  The pause stops you overdoing it.

There's something funny going on with the focus on the lace of her bra.  Since it's about as far from us as her hand then assuming you didn't edit you're twisting the camera.  I started doing this (deliberately) when I shot a lot of portraits at 1.4 but I'm not sure it works here.

I also don't like what you've done with the blouse on the rhs.  Her bare shoulder is catching a lot of light and it's distracting.  Covering this area with her blouse would solve that.

But like I said - she likes it ;)
It's Guest's round

Sarasocke

Thanks Jonathan, I can see what you mean. I probably did twist the camera, I was so stiff trying not to jiggle it - 1/8 sec and manual focus didn't help along with no room for the tripod and my right hand wrapped up. I could have upped the ISO more, which probably wouldn't have been a bad thing.
Carol aka Sarasocke 
My Gallery

picsfor

Quote from: Jonathan on March 17, 2010, 04:58:59 PM
The complete lack of connection with the viewer and the slightly careless pose makes it look like a stolen shot than a portrait and that makes me uncomfortable. 
I think that was what i was trying not to say. I didn't feel comfortable with the shot but couldn't think what it was about it.

Eileen

Hi Carol,

I haven't tried this type of photography myself but here are a couple of links from a favourite blog of mine with useful tips and ideas. The first has advice on lighting and the second link takes you to galleries which may give ideas for posing and angles.

Eileen  :)

http://neilvn.com/tangents/2010/01/19/lighting-boudoir-photography/

http://neilvn.com/galleries.shtml

Sarasocke

Thanks Eileen - actually tho, I doubt I'll be doing much of this kind of photography. I just don't have an adequate set-up. It was just a favour for our nephew's wife. I was interested what you guys on CC thought and am really grateful for the crit. I do do the occasional portrait, but under slightly different circumstances ;)

Mostly I stick to dogs   ::)
Carol aka Sarasocke 
My Gallery

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.