• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,411
  • Total Topics: 5,704
  • Online today: 297
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 240
  • Total: 240
7ds
Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning ResourcesPhotography and Time of D...

Video

Started by Jediboy, June 25, 2018, 09:57:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jediboy

Hi,

Does anyone here do any video making?
I am keen to get into video making using my Nikon D800. It's all very new to me and I have loads to learn. But I enjoy that side of a hobby.
Stupidly I have agreed to film my children's summer play on Friday so getting my head into some tutorials and YouTube videos.
If anyone has any experience I'd love to hear from you.

Cheers

Chris
May the Force be with you.

Chris

Beaux Reflets

Hi Chris,
I did a short video the other day for the first time with the FZ300 - Wished I had taken the tripod (even to use it like a monopod) - Also audio was crap as the breeze caught in the built in camera microphone and it also picked up the Zoom movement on occasions. - External directional microphone with wind feather brush or similar sock is necessary for outdoors in my opinion.

Best of luck
Andy
:beer: Andy

"Light anchors things in place and gives perspective meaning."

The choices we make are rooted in reflection.

http://beauxreflets.blogspot.com/

Hinfrance

My tips - don't bother with anything more than 1080p unless you have a 4k TV or want to make broadcast quality vids. I use 2.7k on the Mavic and render into 1080p. With the FZ300 I admit I do sometimes use the 4k option as there is no 2.7k one.

Remember the 180 degree rule - shutter speed twice frame rate if possible, or add motion blur in PP (you'll need something like Resolve full version or Adobe Premier pro). In the UK the frame rate is 25fps, so you'll want ND filters to reduce the shutter speed to 1/50 - assuming that you can manually set the shutter speed, which you might not be able to as some cameras just go full auto in video mode. The FZ300 does permit manual shutter setting, but the aperture range is limited. On the other hand a school play is unlikely to have even lighting and shooting from a distance with a static camera the 180 degree rule is not really important. If you do move around with the camera do so slowly and smoothly.

For me the most important consideration, sound. As Andy says you will need an external microphone. Rode (example) are the industry leaders for home video, but any reasonably priced stereo condenser microphone that can be mounted either on the camera or preferably on an insulated bracket to minimise mechanical vibrations will do.

I use a completely separate recorder if the video is important - in my case a Zoom H1. Using a clapperboard app on your phone you can synchronise the sound easily, or just record on the camera too, sychronise by ear later and ditch the camera audio in PP.

Get a reasonable NLE - there is a free version of Resolve if you don't want to spend anything to begin with. Adobe Premier Elements is popular, as is Cyberlink Power Director (which is the one I tend to use the most - I don't have any Adobe software any more).  The issue with Resolve is that it is a bit complex, even the cut down free version, but it's very good.

One of my friends takes a lot of video totally ignoring all of the above - he uses a high end action camera (not GoPro, can remember the make) and a hand held powered gimbal. It comes out pretty well. So really, if you have a high end phone getting a gimbal for it will give you a world of video making options - gimbals for DSLRs are a small fortune!
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

jinky

I intersperse image and short video stretches into holiday videos but thats about it. Done on the hoof the sound is poor and from past more serious experience I echo comments about the need for a decent mike and having headphones on to check the sound is OK as you go. I have 4k video available but don`t use it and do as h does at 1080. I just use wondershare for piecing it all together / transitions etc. I used Adobe Premiere some years back and found it too much like hard work.

Hinfrance

Here's a clip from my birthday party last year - me on bass. There were three cameras, an old Lidl 720p action cam on a gorillapod around a beam to one side, a Sony compact on a tripod recording in 4k at the back, and a roving Canon DSLR of some sort. The panning and zooming was done in PP except for the hand held Canon. As you can see there is little doubt that the Canon produced by far the poorest output. The sound, of course was not on camera - 4 channels and then edited in Cubase Artist.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Jediboy

Thanks guys. Some good advice there that I', trying to take in.

I will shoot at 1080p (my DSLR doesn't have 4k) and was thinking 60 FPS. There seems to be conflicting advice regarding this, some say 24, but I want it to look as smooth as possible.

From past experience the lighting will be poor so think I will have to crank the ISO up a bit. I think there will be a bit of trial and error - I have been practising in the evenings at home with the camera on the tripod. One thing I have noticed, and you mention it, is that the sound is terrible on the built in mic. Will try and see if I can get one before Friday, but will prob only be a hotshot mounted one.

The other issue that I am up against is that my DSLR only shoots  20 minute clips. I have practised re-satrting after the 20 minutes and its pretty quick, but not ideal. I will check to see if there will be different scenes.

Talking of gimbals, I am now looking at one of these as I want to do more video and these look really good, but yes, expensive. Drone may have to wait. Again!

Thanks for the help, I'll let you know how I get on.

Chris

Chris

Jediboy

Editing wise, I have iMovie on my Mac. I have used the mobile version which is quite good, but never tried the full version. Good time to start learning I guess.

Chris

Jediboy

Stupid question;

When shooting video does the Aperture work the same as when taking still photos? I understand that it lets more light in but does it also control the depth of field?
Think I'll go and have play.

Chris

Hinfrance

Just a couple of thoughts on your last few posts.

60 fps is usually only used for slow mo in a 30fps project - when played back at 30fps. In the UK the normal frame rate is 25fps. The reason for the standards (US 30fps, UK and Europe 24 or 25fps) is because higher frame rates can give viewers headaches as the human eye tries to keep up with the changes - not to be confused with higher refresh rates on screens where the faster is usually best, because slower flickering is also bad for the eyes (that was why I had 100hz rather than 50hz flourescent lighting in my old basement recording studio).

A hotshoe mounted microphone will be fine if it something like a Rode with a shock mount. Just try not to knock it ;)

You can get Resolve for free for a Mac - it is a cross platform editor. Has a Linux version too.

Have fun at the show :)
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr

Jediboy

Thanks H. Funnily enough I have been filming this morning at work at 60 FPS but I am planning on doing some slow motion with it.
This afternoon will have a go at 25 FPS and see how its looking.
Thanks.
Chris

Chris

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.