• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,415
  • Total Topics: 5,708
  • Online today: 64
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 38
  • Total: 38
bhphotovideo
RØDE NT1 Signature Series...Microphone Arm,Aokeo AK-4...Sennheiser Profile USB Mi...Temu £100 Coupon bundle o...Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....

What made you feel good today

Started by greypoint, August 13, 2009, 10:26:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

krennon

WMMFGT was last night, at camera club we had a set theme competition of FIRE, so I entered this shot this was an A3 print and mounted, as well as my Lundy Island Sunset which was my PDI entry.

I was up against 37 other shots a mix of PDI's and Prints, my Lundy Island shot was praised highly by the judge as a sunset shot of calm and tranquility (well chuffed with that).... and the shot of the tower block on fire was judged the overall winner.....I was up against some great shots including some taken by ARPS's and various pagb distinctions so I am feeling extremely proud of myself for winning the set theme competition.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/keithfransella/

"Everything in moderation including moderation" Oscar Wilde

Hinfrance

Congrats Keith - not many entrants would have gone the extra mile and set a building on fire  :2funny:  :legit:
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Beaux Reflets

Nice shot Kieth and as always I hope lives were not lost.
:beer: Andy

"Light anchors things in place and gives perspective meaning."

The choices we make are rooted in reflection.

http://beauxreflets.blogspot.com/

krennon

ahh yes should have mentioned no fatalities at all everyone got out, and I walked passed the end of the road I took this shot from earlier today and the scaffolding has gone up with the old green netting around it so nearly a year on and it looks like they're rebuilding it....it did turn out it was set deliberately and the woman concerned was sectioned under the mental health act.....if there had been fatalities in all honesty I probably wouldn't have posted it.

And thank you I am really really chuffed to have won

ABERS

Congrats Keith.

The lady that got sanctioned, was that the one that received an award for services to architecture?

A few cloned leaping figures would have added something I feel. :legit:

krennon

LOL Abers she probably should've got something...in all seriousness you've gotta have some crossed wires to deliberately set fire to a 13th floor flat haven't you.....

Although I don't think any Kingstonian would be too upset if the council said they were going to demolish the Cambridge estate....

and what mmfgt just been told I'm out of the office for the next two days woohoo...off to Tunbridge Wells I will be working it's not a jolly but it will be jolly nice to be out of the office... :dance:

Jonathan

Well this has been bubbling under for a while and there are a couple of steps to go yet....but I have firm dates now and it's on the Sasco..............I'm going to Peru.

I have a bizarre couple of weeks in August when nothing is happening (I know - weird huh?) and then a really busy winter.  So some time at the very end of July I'll be on a plane for about 20 odd hours to get to Puerto Maldonado which is supposed to be a kind of frontier town on the edge of the jungle.  1 or 2 nights in a £12.50 a night luxury hotel and then I get a boat.  4.5 hours by boat through the rainforest to, um, some kind of a camp (srsly, I think it may be permanent buildings but it's not clear - they have a generator for charging batteries).  I'll then spend 10 or so days with a bunch of biologists working in the rainforest - mainly (for me) taking pics of animals etc.  I expect (1) a lot of macro (2) not to see a jaguar (3) for the camera to get pretty punished.

Then....back to the frontier town, jump into a plane and fly to Cusco.  Hang out for 3 days doing very little to acclimatise to the thin air (it's at 3,400 metres).  Then leave everything that I can't fit into a 10 kilo pack (and bear in mind minimal camera gear comes to about 5 kilos...) and walk for 4 days through the mountains (this is not the Inca Trail - that's full - this is the Salkantay which is higher and tougher hence the 3 day acclimatisation).  Camp at night at up to 4,500 metres.  Walk all the way to Aguas Calientes where they have hot springs etc (apprently there may be hot water day 3 of the walk...) then go up to Machu Picchu at dawn.  Take a couple of snaps, train to Cusco, fly home in time for a wedding :D

Yes, I'm taking a camera  :2funny:
It's Guest's round

Graham

Sounds quite a trip you've got planned there Jonathan....Lots of Macro you say!
           Ahem....http://cameracraniums.com/forum/index.php?topic=1546.0     :tup:
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. 

My Gallery
My Flickr Pics

Graham

Quote from: Hinfrance on May 10, 2011, 01:06:51 PM
not many entrants would have gone the extra mile and set a building on fire  :2funny:  :legit:

Hey. Don't knock it. A wins a win! :)

Only kidding Keith, well done. :tup:
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. 

My Gallery
My Flickr Pics

krennon

Jonathan have a great trip my bro did Peru last year was there for six weeks two weeks of which was acclimatising and he still got altitude sickness

Oldboy

Quote from: krennon on May 10, 2011, 09:30:12 AM
I was up against 37 other shots a mix of PDI's and Prints, my Lundy Island shot was praised highly by the judge as a sunset shot of calm and tranquility (well chuffed with that)....

I told you it was a cracking shot.  :tup:

Well done on the block of flats fire shots as well.  ;D

Oldboy

Quote from: Jonathan on May 10, 2011, 04:33:42 PM
Well this has been bubbling under for a while and there are a couple of steps to go yet....but I have firm dates now and it's on the Sasco..............I'm going to Peru.

I have a bizarre couple of weeks in August when nothing is happening (I know - weird huh?) and then a really busy winter.  So some time at the very end of July I'll be on a plane for about 20 odd hours to get to Puerto Maldonado which is supposed to be a kind of frontier town on the edge of the jungle.  1 or 2 nights in a £12.50 a night luxury hotel and then I get a boat.  4.5 hours by boat through the rainforest to, um, some kind of a camp (srsly, I think it may be permanent buildings but it's not clear - they have a generator for charging batteries).  I'll then spend 10 or so days with a bunch of biologists working in the rainforest - mainly (for me) taking pics of animals etc.  I expect (1) a lot of macro (2) not to see a jaguar (3) for the camera to get pretty punished.

Then....back to the frontier town, jump into a plane and fly to Cusco.  Hang out for 3 days doing very little to acclimatise to the thin air (it's at 3,400 metres).  Then leave everything that I can't fit into a 10 kilo pack (and bear in mind minimal camera gear comes to about 5 kilos...) and walk for 4 days through the mountains (this is not the Inca Trail - that's full - this is the Salkantay which is higher and tougher hence the 3 day acclimatisation).  Camp at night at up to 4,500 metres.  Walk all the way to Aguas Calientes where they have hot springs etc (apprently there may be hot water day 3 of the walk...) then go up to Machu Picchu at dawn.  Take a couple of snaps, train to Cusco, fly home in time for a wedding :D

Yes, I'm taking a camera  :2funny:

I know a bear who came form darkest Peru!  :2funny:

Sounds like a lifetime experience, so I won't spoil it by by mentioning all the nastiness waiting for you in the rain forrest.  :o

Jonathan

Quote from: Oldboy on May 10, 2011, 08:56:39 PM
Sounds like a lifetime experience, so I won't spoil it by by mentioning all the nastiness waiting for you in the rain forrest.  :o

Well, I already know about the leishmaniasis (only real treatment is 20 days intravenous antimony followed by plastic surgery) plus the ticks, piranhas, anacondas, jaguars and the very real chance of getting lost.  If I survive all that then I'll have a 40 mile walk at altitude carrying kit and soroche to contend with (in some of the better hotels you can pay extra to have an oxygen enriched room - but not on my budget of £12 a night) and the likelihood that I'd fail a drug screen for the first couple of days after I got home (coca tea unlike coca cola really does contain cocaine and it's served to ALL the tourists).

But if it was easy it wouldn't be worth doing.  Right?
It's Guest's round

Beaux Reflets

Looking forward to seeing the photos, so don't get too high  :2funny:
:beer: Andy

"Light anchors things in place and gives perspective meaning."

The choices we make are rooted in reflection.

http://beauxreflets.blogspot.com/

ABERS

WMMFGT. Reading that David Laws was only guilty of misconduct when he claimed  £40,000 of expenses to which he was not entitled because he wanted to keep the facts of his sexual orientation from the public at large,

What made me feel very good was, that if my planned bank robbery ever comes to fruition and I am caught with my hand in the till, I can now use the precedence of his defence that I was only doing it because I was worried that my hetrosexual tendencies would be disclosed to all and sundry! ::)

Whether that would wash with the judge remains to be seen, after all he will be the one wearing a long gown and a heavily permed wig. :doh:

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.