• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,412
  • Total Topics: 5,705
  • Online today: 158
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 143
  • Total: 143
  • Bingbot
Wish
Temu £100 Coupon bundle o...Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning Resources

fortnightly topic - Street Photography

Started by spikeyjen, November 14, 2013, 10:15:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spikeyjen

It was my birthday recently, and I received a book about American street photographer - Alex Webb

http://www.magnumphotos.com/C.aspx?VP3=CMS3&VF=MAGO31_10_VForm&ERID=24KL53Y_H

Street photography is on my next years HIT LiST, to improve both my confidence in being out on the street and improving my techniques in composition and post production.

Please share your hints, tips, experiences, web and blog links, or tutorial links that will assist us all in inspiring us and improving our street photography.

Reinardina

I've been out there, in public places, regularly, shooting people.
I often feel very self conscious, especially as I cannot see if people are actually looking at me. I can see their head is turned my way, but I cannot see their eyes.

As mentioned elsewhere on the forum, people at 'events' are easiest to photograph, as there are always lots of cameras around. People expect cameras.

If I see a 'situation' that is static, and especially when people are not looking my way,* I have time to 'compose' the shot, but often you are very restricted in what you can do.

I haven't used a long lens often, but that makes life a lot easier.

Shooting from the hip, or chest, can bring you right among the people you want to portray. If you don't look at them, most won't look at you, and you are more or less invisible to them. You can start practising this now. I found I often ended up with too much sky or too much pavement.

Shoot wide, so you have a margin of error. (Is this the right expression? But you know what I mean.)

That said, I'm only a beginner, and have the occasional hit, but loads and loads of misses.

* I'll upload two of this type later today. Here I had a tiny bit of leeway as far as composition was concerned, but only a very tiny bit.

Beauty is bought by judgment of the eye.
Shakespeare. (Love's Labours Lost.)

ABERS

Just one tip that may come in useful. It really can only apply to a static situation where someone is holding forth to the public at large (e.g. Speakers' Corner or addressing a crowd at a demo), watch them for five minutes or so and they will go through a series of actions or gesticulations that they repeat over and over again.

To make a point in their speech, some will lean forward with a particular facial expression, some will point upwards, some spread their arms, some will grimace, some will lean back with their arms folded, I think you get the point. So if you are listening and looking through the viewfinder you will ready for this repetitious behaviour and press the shutter at the right moment.

Reactions to questions from the crowd can also be a good time to press the shutter.

ADMONISHING FINGER by abers, on Flickr

ONE WORLD EXPONENT by abers, on Flickr

HYPOCRISY! by abers, on Flickr

Other street photography info was on

http://cameracraniums.com/forum/index.php?topic=3651.0

Reinardina

Beauty is bought by judgment of the eye.
Shakespeare. (Love's Labours Lost.)

Andrew

The thing i struggled with most was having the confidence to put a camera 'almost', or in Alan's case 'in', the face of the subject in a non intrusive manner.

If you have access to Speakers Corner - that is the best place to gain that confidence - amazing place where just about any bigotted  :knuppel2: comment can be heard - and occasionally even some sensible stuff.
1 body, 1 lens, 1 flash gun, 1 tripod, 1 cable release & 1 filter. Keeping it simple!
(I lied, just got a second lens!)

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.