• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,412
  • Total Topics: 5,705
  • Online today: 158
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 29
  • Total: 29
photobox
Temu £100 Coupon bundle o...Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning Resources

QOTD 10th Nov - camera repairs

Started by spikeyjen, November 10, 2013, 03:04:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

spikeyjen

Have you ever had to send of your camera for repair?
Were you happy with the service? was you camera 'as good a new' when you got it back?

Hinfrance

My first K5 had one of the faulty Sony sensors. Although it was bought in the UK, Pentax France replaced it with a new one. It took 2 weeks, but that was over the Christmas and New Year holiday period, so that was to be expected.

Touching wood, never had any other problems with Pentax DSLRs. My first one, a K10D is still firing on all cylinders, despite having been dropped more than once.

Did have a Fuji bridge that died on me out of warranty, but I didn't bother getting that fixed.

Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

jinky

Never needed a repair on any of my Nikons - other than a diy on a rubber grip. Got a Sony F717 that I found had the faulty sensor I think H had too a few years back. Sent it off and not only did they replace that out of warranty but also replaced the rear screen. I had put it in a hotel safe for security whilst not using it on holiday not realising that the bolts securing the safe to the wall were pointed at the end. It being pushed against by other objects resulted in a big gouge through the screen protector and into the screen. I had to persuade Sony it was a fault that was a general problem as they refused first request but once I kept bombarding them with egs of the same fault from across the internet they changed stance and had just issued a recall. Done very quickly too. I sometimes wonder about my D700 at the moment being slow to focus in low light but am fearful of paying vast sums to find it is OK and be without it for weeks.

Alfonso_Frisk

Quote from: spikeyjen on November 10, 2013, 03:04:26 AM
Have you ever had to send of your camera for repair?
Were you happy with the service? was you camera 'as good a new' when you got it back?

Not a camera but a lens.
I had issues with the zoom ring on my Nik 16-85.
It was still within the warranty period and WEX dealt with the complaint and sent it off to Nikon. Was repaired quickly and was calibrated as well. Was actually better after repair than at brand new.
http://www.fluidr.com/photos/nosmo_king2007
http://www.seateamimages.com/search.php
Wine improves with age, The older I get the more I like it.

hssutton

I've never sent a camera in for repair, but I have sent  my Canon 100-400L + my twin light macro flash gun to Lehmans. Was very happy with the service. The flashgun was forwarded to Canon for repair.

Harry

Oldboy

Had to put my D3 in for repair after the soaking it got last year. It cost £579.  :o

After getting it back found it wouldn't autofocus using a Nikon F4 plus 2x converter, it wasn't a problem before.  :doh:

anglefire

Have used Canon in London to repair my 1D Mkiii, 5D and 24-105. Brilliant service - cheaper than Lehmanns (5D was warranty, despite being about 6yr old) - basically fixed prices for most things.

Everything came back spotless. :)
----------------------------------
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Current Bodies:
Canon 1Dx
Canon R3
Canon R5

Sold Bodies:
Canon 350D
Canon 1DMk3
Canon 5D
Canon 1Dx Mk3

michaelb104

I used Harrison Cameras in Sheffield to send my Sony for repair, they quoted two weeks and a price. Two weeks later I picked up the camera looking exactly as when I dropped it off except that the issue was fixed and only paid the quoted price  :)

Sheffield is quite a drive for me but I got a quote from LCE in Nottingham and they said the issue would take six to eight weeks to fix and couldn't give me a price.

Is it a sign of the times where a city like Nottingham only has one camera shop now (that I know of)?
Mike

My Flickr   .   My Fluidr

WillyP

When I bought my first DSLR, I did a lot of research before I decided on Canon over Nikon. One factor is that I read Canon has such excellent factory repair service.

And I have not had one occasion to use it, even though I buy almost everything used on E-Bay. Or maybe because it's used, and well tested?   ;)

spikeyjen

I have a funny and very embarrassing story about a camera repair.
I have a Canon 7D and noticed that when my LED screen display was on auto, it would initially appear dark, and then when turned off and on again appeared normal. quite frustrating when you would reset the exposure compensation only to find that the original was OK.
So eventually I sent the camera back to Canon, who kept if for 8 very frustrating weeks, lots of communication problems only to get it back with the same problem the first time I used it.
I actually sent a very curt (read rude) complaint letter complaining that not only had they not fixed the problem, but taken 8 weeks to tell me that there was no problem!!

Promptly I received a personal phone call from Canon, who eventually explained that the light sensor for the 7D is actually located next to the LED screen, and my not so small nose was blocking the sensor detecting the light source.

So I have to say that the Canon service was good, if not a little tardy, and they were very patient with me (and I am very embarrassed) and still think that the location of the light sensor is in a very stupid place!!!
I did get a free clean....

Oldboy

Quote from: spikeyjen on November 14, 2013, 09:08:33 AM
Promptly I received a personal phone call from Canon, who eventually explained that the light sensor for the 7D is actually located next to the LED screen, and my not so small nose was blocking the sensor detecting the light source.

So I have to say that the Canon service was good, if not a little tardy, and they were very patient with me (and I am very embarrassed) and still think that the location of the light sensor is in a very stupid place!!!
I did get a free clean....

Well you must have a very big nose!  :P :2funny: :legit:

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.