• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,411
  • Total Topics: 5,704
  • Online today: 178
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 20
  • Total: 20
aliexpress
Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning ResourcesPhotography and Time of D...

Bathroom Art Advice

Started by DigiDiva, February 28, 2015, 10:14:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DigiDiva

I'm having a new bathroom fitted in 2 weeks and looking for wall art ideas......how mad u may ask as I have my own wall art website......but I have an idea and wanna run it by u guys for comments. I have an old Victorian terraced town house and getting a traditional style Victorian bathroom. For wall art I'm thinking of some old Victorian erotica prints in sepia...nothing p*rnographic obviously  but the tittalating stuff  that was classed as rude in its day. A boob, a shoulder, a butt cheek, someone maybe taking a stocking off.....kinda what the butler saw through the keyhole!

Does it sound OK or corny? I might even see if I can get a studio and take my own using the same idea.

Comments please? Can u picture it? Am I mad? Would it work?
Please visit my website @ www.sunderlandwallart.com

kerbside

Quote from: DigiDiva on February 28, 2015, 10:14:26 PM
For wall art I'm thinking of some old Victorian erotica prints in sepia...nothing p*rnographic obviously  but the tittalating stuff  that was classed as rude in its day. A boob, a shoulder, a butt cheek, someone maybe taking a stocking off.....kinda what the butler saw through the keyhole!

I might even see if I can get a studio and take my own using the same idea.

If you are going to take YOUR OWN boob, shoulder or buttock then that should be fun.

You have to be in to win but winning is not everything, it's participating that counts.
http://www.fluidr.com/photos/kerbside

DigiDiva

Jeff I don't own a wide angled lens!

spikeyjen

I think it's a great idea Chris, so long as it's done well, and should be fun creating them. No one says what you should or should not have in your own home. I'm sure that there are some photographers that do this where you can steal some ideas as well. Not sure how you might go getting some props but it would be fun to do.
No - not corny at all.

DigiDiva

Thanks Spikeyjen. I can't find a studio near me that I could use but have found some prints for a very reasonable price. Will be hard putting up someone else's art though! Even if I had access to a studio I might struggle for a model. Props I will have no issue with!

spikeyjen

Perhaps you could do it without a model and just use the props, with a 'suggestive' photo as one of your props. I agree, it's hard to put someone else's work on your wall, unless it has some meaning.

Oldboy

Quote from: DigiDiva on February 28, 2015, 11:46:02 PM
Even if I had access to a studio I might struggle for a model.

Try the old peoples home!  :P

I'm sure you must have friends who go to vicars and tarts parties. The tarts would be ideal and would be happy to be photographed if they can have a print afterwards.  :tup:

ABERS

What people get up to in their bathroom is their business!  8)

Athena posters spotted this market way back in the 60's - 70's.

If you are determined to go down the prurient route all well and good. If however you want a 'Victorian Feel' to the decor I would suggest you spend a day at the Beamish Museum, which is near to you at Chester-Le- Street, and there you would find all sorts Victoriana, which if photographed sympathetically would make some suitable wall art. What is 'wall art'? I take it to be pictures hung on a wall.

Just a thought.

Reinardina

Yes Alan, wall art is the new name, for things you hang on the wall to decorate your home (or garden).
Not to be confused with real high art; I don't think a Vermeer is classed as wall art. A bit like costume jewellery v. the real stuff, I suppose.

I assume bathroom here, means bathroom, rather than just the lavatory? (You English still regularly confuse me.)

How steamy is your bathroom Chris? And I mean it literally. Mine is fully tiled, and gets quite steamed up after a prolonged hot shower, even with the window open.

Even if yours does not get visibly 'steamy,' there will be moisture, so you'll have to make sure you get something that can withstand that. Unless you don't mind replacing them on a regular basis. (In which case cost comes into it, but you can also use different images, to create a continuously changing exhibition.)

I'm not sure this type of soft focused sepia images, will look good in 'weather proof' (laminated/block print/aluminium print) versions.
These should last longer, but would they do the subject justice? I think they might look harsh.

Beauty is bought by judgment of the eye.
Shakespeare. (Love's Labours Lost.)

DigiDiva

Thanks guys - Abers - yes beamish is inspirational but I can't think of anything there that would fit a bathroom decor. By wall art, yes simply something that hangs on the wall. Reinardina, I will be having an extractor fan that comes on when light goes on so little moisture (I hope). My loo isn't in my bathroom. I have a thing about loos and bathing not going together!

Beaux Reflets

Some rounded beach pebbles with the sea washing over - in Sepia with a misty DOF and the odd shadow from glass imperfection etc., with or without a touch of 'colour wash' added in places (Over painting prints was a Victorian thing for those with the money)   ;)
:beer: Andy

"Light anchors things in place and gives perspective meaning."

The choices we make are rooted in reflection.

http://beauxreflets.blogspot.com/

DigiDiva

Beux. Would that work in a traditional Victorian bathroom do u think?

Beaux Reflets

Do not see why not with the right framing - Alternatively, you could always get your family kitted out in Victorian beach wear and take a few shots of them paddling beneath a Pier at the sea side or posing in or near some running water.  ;)

Nothing ventured....as they say.... and more exciting than a photograph of a bar of Soap from that era  ;D

Not to forget ; With long exposure times of that era folks faces tend to look quite serious or stern  :)
:beer: Andy

"Light anchors things in place and gives perspective meaning."

The choices we make are rooted in reflection.

http://beauxreflets.blogspot.com/

DigiDiva

I had thought of the beach idea Beaux...but NO WAY would my family brave the North East England coast this time of year!

Oldboy

Quote from: Beaux Reflets on March 01, 2015, 04:11:42 PM
Nothing ventured....as they say.... and more exciting than a photograph of a bar of Soap from that era  ;D

The Pear's soap adverts of the time are wonderful and full of humour. http://search.aol.co.uk/aol/image?page=4&v_t=na&q=pears+soap+old+adverts&oreq=843cc5d537e6425c9406c9d43a5da266   ;D

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.