• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,414
  • Total Topics: 5,707
  • Online today: 41
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 38
  • Total: 38
If you would like to make a donation to help with the running costs of the site, then a donation button has been added to the bottom of the page.  Thanks.
Microphone Arm,Aokeo AK-4...Sennheiser Profile USB Mi...Temu £100 Coupon bundle o...Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...

What annoyed you today?

Started by greypoint, August 13, 2009, 07:52:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andrew

Quote from: Reinardina on June 06, 2014, 05:32:41 PM
Quote from: Hinfrance on June 06, 2014, 05:20:44 PM
Yet another marketing email offering me items at 'better than half price'. Strewth I hate that, it's just meaningless: better for whom? I think they mean 'less than half price', but hey, why use a short meaningful word when you can use a longer one out of context.

At least an email you open (or not) when you have a bit of time.  I am plagued by phone calls at the moment. From 'scappage kitchen deals' to offers for insulation, new boilers and solar panels with a government grant.  And the surveys, 'only two minutes and it will be to your advantage.' I'm beginning to miss the boys from Windows who want to rid my PC of malicious software.

And yes, the number is on the call preference list and I recently went ex directory, but the number is already out there, so it will continue.

You make it too easy for them...

When they ring and ask to confirm my identity i always reply with "Depends - who am I speaking to?"
This brings 1 of 2 answers. Option 1 - They can't say until i've confirmed my ID, to which I reply "well in that case I can't confirm who I am to some one who might be trying to pinch my ID" - phone hangs up. The other being "I'm from XYZ Surveys" to which the answer is "How did you get my number? I'm all the preference list and under UK law this call consitutes harrassment. I need to speak to your supervisor please" - phone hangs up.

One chap from over seas tried to argue that it was his constitutional right to try and canvas me. When i pointed out that in Europe it's the other way and could I have his details so I can report him and have an arrest warrant waiting for him next time he tries to board a plane landing anywhere in the EU he ended the call with some abuse and come the day when the Europeans are in trouble we'll be greatful for their help again - and sales calls!

Yeah - whatever  :uglystupid2: :knuppel2:

I like the man in Scotland who was granted £6000 compensation for harrassment for such calls. It's a lovely tale. But best bit is - these people clearly talk to each other, because now I don't get any calls. Some times, when I'm annoyed and need some thing or some one to take it out on, I miss them ;)
1 body, 1 lens, 1 flash gun, 1 tripod, 1 cable release & 1 filter. Keeping it simple!
(I lied, just got a second lens!)

Hinfrance

I have a simple solution, I never answer the 'phone. I have an answering machine. If someone has something they wish to convey to me, they can leave a message. :)

Mrs H does answer the 'phone. If a cold caller asks for me she asks who is calling, and then says "I'm terribly sorry, he is only taking personal calls today". That always does the trick ;)

Alternatively, if they ask to speak to the home owner, she just says she is the under parlour maid.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Oldboy

Quote from: Hinfrance on June 06, 2014, 07:20:52 PM
I have a simple solution, I never answer the 'phone. I have an answering machine. If someone has something they wish to convey to me, they can leave a message. :)

Same with me. It's strange how many hang up when the answer machine's voice comes on.  :P :D

Alternatively, if they ask to speak to the home owner, she just says she is the under parlour maid.

You have that many servants?  :o

Hinfrance

Quote from: Oldboy on June 06, 2014, 07:54:29 PM

You have that many servants?  :o

Just me. But I'm a bit tired now.  :2funny:
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Reinardina

Most of the time I cut them short and say I'm not interested and hang up, before they get going. If I feel like it, I let them read a bit of their script, but if so, I always ask who I am talking to.

The best one I had, was an 'ambulance chaser,' telling me I had had an accident in the last two years. When I explained I would probably remember, he insisted it was someone who lived at my address.
'Oh him,' I said. 'He's been dead for five years.'
'Did you murder him?' was his reaction.

No idea how he came to that conclusion.

Beauty is bought by judgment of the eye.
Shakespeare. (Love's Labours Lost.)

Oldboy

Quote from: Reinardina on June 06, 2014, 10:46:27 PM
Most of the time I cut them short and say I'm not interested and hang up, before they get going. If I feel like it, I let them read a bit of their script, but if so, I always ask who I am talking to.

The best one I had, was an 'ambulance chaser,' telling me I had had an accident in the last two years. When I explained I would probably remember, he insisted it was someone who lived at my address.

You should have answered 'Yes and your next on the list'. Then a bit of cackling down the phone might have unnerved him!  :D

Reinardina

Quote from: Oldboy on June 06, 2014, 10:58:46 PM
Quote from: Reinardina on June 06, 2014, 10:46:27 PM

You should have answered 'Yes and your next on the list'. Then a bit of cackling down the phone might have unnerved him!  :D

Felt a bit sorry for the guy, as it was quite obvious his command or the English language, once outside of his script, was rather limited. He seemed to know the words, but not the meaning.

Beauty is bought by judgment of the eye.
Shakespeare. (Love's Labours Lost.)

donoreo

That I was not careful and broke the passenger side window backing out of the garage this morning. 

DigiDiva

One of my other photo forums - which I have now promptly left!
Please visit my website @ www.sunderlandwallart.com

Hinfrance

Quote from: donoreo on June 10, 2014, 02:03:43 PM
That I was not careful and broke the passenger side window backing out of the garage this morning. 

I tend to be half asleep going down the drive first thing, especially on a Monday. How did you manage to break the window without damaging anything else?
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr

kerbside

Just looked at next weeks Radio Times and what dio you think, bloody football on BBC 1 every night. Yep i know there are other channels but!!!!!!!!! >:(

I HATE FOOTBALL, overpaid Prima donna's  :legit:

You have to be in to win but winning is not everything, it's participating that counts.
http://www.fluidr.com/photos/kerbside

Jediboy

May the Force be with you.

Chris

Oldboy

Quote from: kerbside on June 10, 2014, 07:45:56 PM
I HATE FOOTBALL, overpaid Prima donna's  :legit:

:tup: :tup: :tup:

I don't know which is worse, football or the comments of that jug-eared pratt?  >:(

donoreo

Quote from: Hinfrance on June 10, 2014, 06:27:27 PM
Quote from: donoreo on June 10, 2014, 02:03:43 PM

I tend to be half asleep going down the drive first thing, especially on a Monday. How did you manage to break the window without damaging anything else?
Mirror....not window.  Who said window....... :legit:  I had a horrible headache last night and it woke me at 3 and did not really sleep after that. 

DigiDiva

Do most photographers have little interest in football? Thats what becomes apparent on many occasions and is an interesting concept
Please visit my website @ www.sunderlandwallart.com

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.