• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,411
  • Total Topics: 5,704
  • Online today: 136
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 110
  • Total: 110
parkcameras
Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning ResourcesPhotography and Time of D...

CHAT-SHALLOW DOF-Weekly Comp 29/10 to 6/11/2016

Started by Hinfrance, October 29, 2016, 03:46:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hinfrance

CHAT THREAD

The Entries thread is HERE

This week's theme is SHALLOW DEPTH OF FIELD. Following on from the recent discussions about the Brenizer effect, let's see some creative use of a shallow depth of field. Feel free to create this using the Brenizer method, or your lens, or software if that is a way available to you.

Pictures to be taken preferably between now and Sunday 6th November 2016, 23:59, or enter one from your Personal / Camera Cranium Archives if you prefer. Pictures to be posted in the entries thread no later than 23:59pm Monday 7th November 2016. Poll will be up Tuesday 8th November 2016.

Winner to be announced Saturday 12th November 2016.

The Rules for the weekly competition are...

By entering you agree to take responsibility to

Post a topic on the Sunday (or sooner) following your declared win
Create an entries thread
Create a chat thread
Create a poll for that weeks comp and declare the winner on the Saturday
(if for any reason there is a problem and no subject is posted by the winner by Monday night admin will advise second place winner to post the topic asap, do the poll etc)

In case of a tie, the first entry posted (or earliest archive shot if applicable) wins.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Simple

This is my dearest wife. I managed to do a 57 image Benizer picture. I used the expensive Autopano Giga software and this is the outcome. I reduced the filesizes dramatically to safe myself some time, and did the rendering on reduced sizes to 1000 pixels long side.

Hinfrance

Nicely done Simple. I'm going to have another go at this technique, but using the free Image Composite Editor from M$. I have found this to be really excellent, especially for the money ;)

As this composite image has no EXIF, would you be kind enough to share with us information on the lens used, the settings and the distance from your good lady?
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Simple

Howard,
Let me explain that the software was paid for by a client that wanted a picture of his house (more a mansion) on a big canvas. The only way to do that was to use stitching software. Hence the programme.
I used the Nikon D3 with an old film lens, the 70-300 f4.0-5.6. It was shot at 1/125sec - f5.6 - 300mm - iso200 (default setting on D3) I attach the full composite below and on the right of the picture you can see the square that gives you an idea of how small the pictures were that were stitched together. Can not remember distance, but would imagine 8 meters or so. I used Portrait mode as well!

Hinfrance

Thanks for sharing the set up Simple. I've had the odd bit of software paid for by people who wanted work done, recently the Pro edition of File Scavenger - his daughter had wiped all of her pictures and videos taken on a trip through South America. The software got all of them back - 4 32gb memory cards! It's always nice to get someone else to pay :)

I am only pushing the ICE because I have found it so amazingly good. The test Brenizer pictures I did failed to stitch using Lightroom/Photoshop actions, and froze PhotoDirector. ICE managed the task without error and very quickly. And with more choices of image projection.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr

Simple

I had a look at ICE and it is indeed very fast and thorough as well. Obviously it is not as extensive as Autopano, but like many things in Photoshop I never use the full potential of these programmes. I am lucky to use 1/5th of the things in Autopano and probably the same in PS. If I would have known about ICE (if it was around) I could have made more money/ saved a client some money. (A bit of both I think :-)

Hinfrance

Indeed we do rarely use the full potential of the programmes we have - so many of them are so sophisticated we (OK 'I') just work out how we can do the things we want to do and rarely, if ever, explore the rest.

I have, for example, just been tempted by a loss leader from an audio software company and paid $1 for a virtual synthesiser. I can pretty much guarantee that I will only ever use the preset library - that has 3500 patches in it . .

Meanwhile the weather has turned nasty so I won't be able to do another Brenizer shot for this week's challenge. It'll be out with the macro lens probably ;)
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr

oggalily

Just checking in.  Apologies for not being around recently.  For some reason I haven't gotten any notifications when people have responded to my posts, hence I only just found out about the interest I sparked in the Brenizer method.  I have used Photoshop but it does take a long time. 

I'll try to have a go on this week's comp.

jinky

In with an old one. Found my custom bokeh kit I`d made but ran out of time to do a new one so reworked this one of my youngest in front of a lamp with many bulbs which I turned into hearts with a stencil cut out in my kit for a valentine picture

Hinfrance

Mine's an oldie too. Just ran out of time/weather/opportunity.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr

oggalily

Pretty sure this is a tufted titmouse according to my guidebook.  I set up my camera on a tripod with a remote trigger in order not to scare the birds.  We get some more interesting birds like blue jays and cardinals but they weren't around on the day I took the shot.  Now that I know how to do it it is definitely something I will try again.  Happy for any bird photography tips from the crew here.

Hinfrance

Ogga, do you want to start a tread about bird photography? Then we can see if anyone has any tips. I can give you some pointers from how my neighbour does his shots - I simply don't have the kit that he does, but stuff is a lot cheaper on your side of the pond. :)
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr

Reinardina

Beryl probably has a tip or two. Would be nice, to get her involved in the forum.

Beauty is bought by judgment of the eye.
Shakespeare. (Love's Labours Lost.)

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.