• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,412
  • Total Topics: 5,705
  • Online today: 102
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 93
  • Total: 93
  • Google
millets
Temu £100 Coupon bundle o...Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning Resources

David and Goliath

Started by Reinardina, November 24, 2016, 09:40:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jinky

Quote from: Reinardina on November 25, 2016, 10:12:42 AM
At no point, between the initial email on 24 August, and the last letter from the insurance company dated 22 November, do they turn round and say: "What's all this about glasses? Our waitress never touched them, she only 'made contact' with your back."

This surprise was kept to the very last. Sting in the tail so to speak. Or maybe 'Sting in the tale'?

Beware Greeks bearing plates!

Just got a call from the legal team. Explained the situation. Will get a call back. Sounds very positive.

Goods luck

Reinardina

Thank you.

Had forgotten, that I might be covered by by my home insurance policy. Just dug it out, and I have 'Family legal protection.' This should cover it, I suppose.
Sadly, I am a total novice in these legal, and financial, fields; used to leave all that to my late husband. I'll persevere though, and your support is very helpful and uplifting.

I'll see what the solicitor says, when he rings back, and take it from there.

Beauty is bought by judgment of the eye.
Shakespeare. (Love's Labours Lost.)

SimonW

There's nothing sad about being a legal novice - you've been very lucky if you never needed to become one.
Simon Warren
(in Dunning, Scotland)

Reinardina

Quote from: SimonW on November 25, 2016, 06:33:39 PM
There's nothing sad about being a legal novice - you've been very lucky if you never needed to become one.

Only had one previous encounter with an insurance company; a Dutch one, and everything was dealt with promptly.
Haven't driven a car for over thirty years, so no bumps or scratches to deal with, which may have protected me from British companies.

I knew they are very reluctant to pay out, but I was totally stunned, to be more or less told, I was a blatant liar.

Reinardina

For the first time in my life, I have actually 'used' social media.

Wrote a review on TripAdvisor, and on the restaurant's facebook site
https://www.facebook.com/pg/Blue-Island-747696781924012/reviews/?ref=page_internal

I am not a fan of social media, on the contrary, and my facebook account is under my initials only: RHEA (from) Hampshire.

Have a look and tell me what you think. And maybe add a little comment (non-committal, if preferred), just to make sure, it does not fizzle out?

jinky

Left a comment to keep it buzzing. I`d suggest anyone offering comment spreads it over a few days rather than piling in. Have to say it looks a bit of a dump from outside but hopefully the food is better. Good luck  ;)

Reinardina

Thanks Paul, much appreciated.

It is a 'bit of a dump,' but it's cheap, the food is good, and it's a friendly place. That's why I was so shocked, that I wasn't believed (after three months). I really thought they cared for their guests.

It is actually the only local Greek restaurant, or taverna rather, that did not have any negative comments, when I first tried to find 'a Greek.'

It is absolutely nothing, compared to the ones I frequent in Holland or Austria, which are proper restaurants, but you don't seem to have them here.

jinky

We are spoiled for restaurants in Leeds and have a few really good Greek ones amongst others. I am amazed at the number coming and going here and the range available.

Reinardina

We have three or four Greeks, but all but the one I am now fighting, had bad marks against their name, for one thing or the other.

Does anyone one have any idea, if I could be saddled with huge legal bills, if the insurance company decided to back the restaurant, and I lost in the small claims court?

So far, two people have added their comment in the review bit of said restaurant on FB. If anyone else would like to 'donate ' a few words, to keep the ball rolling, then yes please.

https://www.facebook.com/pg/Blue-Island-747696781924012/reviews/?ref=page_internal

I am Rhea (from Hampshire).

David Blandford

I sure everyone will support you in this struggle, I am sure we have all found ourselves in similar situations in the past.     :tup:
still trying to paint with light!!

jinky

Quote from: Reinardina on November 26, 2016, 03:23:08 PM

It is a 'bit of a dump,' but it's cheap, the food is good, and it's a friendly place. That's why I was so shocked, that I wasn't believed (after three months). I really thought they cared for their guests.

It is actually the only local Greek restaurant, or taverna rather, that did not have any negative comments, when I first tried to find 'a Greek.'

It is absolutely nothing, compared to the ones I frequent in Holland or Austria, which are proper restaurants, but you don't seem to have them here.
This might help https://www.moneyclaimsuk.co.uk/small-claims-court-fees.aspx
Small outlay and there is always a chance they don`t turn up to contest it.

Reinardina

Quote from: David Blandford on November 27, 2016, 06:16:10 PM
I sure everyone will support you in this struggle, I am sure we have all found ourselves in similar situations in the past.     :tup:

I have never been in this sorry position before, but I'm learning fast. (Thanks for your support.)

Quote from: jinky on November 27, 2016, 06:40:26 PM
Quote from: Reinardina on November 26, 2016, 03:23:08 PM

This might help https://www.moneyclaimsuk.co.uk/small-claims-court-fees.aspx
Small outlay and there is always a chance they don`t turn up to contest it.

Thanks for the link. I'll look into it. Those fast track fees, threw me a bit, but they are not applicable in my case.

Beaux Reflets

Quote from: Reinardina on November 27, 2016, 06:13:38 PM
We have three or four Greeks, but all but the one I am now fighting, had bad marks against their name, for one thing or the other.

Does anyone one have any idea, if I could be saddled with huge legal bills, if the insurance company decided to back the restaurant, and I lost in the small claims court?

So far, two people have added their comment in the review bit of said restaurant on FB. If anyone else would like to 'donate ' a few words, to keep the ball rolling, then yes please.

It can be quite easy to cross  'that ever wavering thin blue line' with matters posted online; words misinterpreted or inadvertently spiked by an unknown jester.

My advise would be, just to stick with the Small Claims Court.  ( In my understanding , Judgements are usually proportionate to damages)
:beer: Andy

"Light anchors things in place and gives perspective meaning."

The choices we make are rooted in reflection.

http://beauxreflets.blogspot.com/

Reinardina

Quote from: Beaux Reflets on November 27, 2016, 07:39:45 PM

It can be quite easy to cross  'that ever wavering thin blue line' with matters posted online; words misinterpreted or inadvertently spiked by an unknown jester.

My advise would be, just to stick with the Small Claims Court.  ( In my understanding , Judgements are usually proportionate to damages)

It is not my favourite way of communicating, and I was quite apprehensive about it, but it seems to work sometimes. And it was actually one of the routes advised by CAB to get results. The lady was quite surprised I had not gone there already.
I think it is going to be the small claims court in the end.

Beaux Reflets

Quote from: Reinardina on November 27, 2016, 07:49:35 PM
Quote from: Beaux Reflets on November 27, 2016, 07:39:45 PM

It is not my favourite way of communicating, and I was quite apprehensive about it, but it seems to work sometimes. And it was actually one of the routes advised by CAB to get results. The lady was quite surprised I had not gone there already.
I think it is going to be the small claims court in the end.

I am no Legal eagle Re, but as I understand it, they accepted Liability by informing their insurers, and your claim will likely be successful!

Whether or not their insurance reimburses them is their seperate problem in matter - ::) Public Liability Insurance premiums etc.

I am quite surprised that CAB suggested FB  as that root can be an open house to twist'n of words.
:beer: Andy

"Light anchors things in place and gives perspective meaning."

The choices we make are rooted in reflection.

http://beauxreflets.blogspot.com/

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.