• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,411
  • Total Topics: 5,704
  • Online today: 297
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 208
  • Total: 208
bhphotovideo
Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning ResourcesPhotography and Time of D...

new camera dropped off tripod grrrr

Started by chris2pher, February 02, 2017, 10:42:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chris2pher

My very first dslr (canon 700d) that I've had a month fell off my tripod onto hard floor. Most of it works apart from in manual and press the shutter and the mirror goes up, but it doesn't fall until I press the shutter again. Majorly pissed off. Will this be expensive to fix? Shall I take it to Wilkinsons or send it to canon? i don't think I'll be able to take it back to John Lewis - its plain to see by the edge of the flash casing that i have dropped it

POO!

Oldboy

That depends on the damaged caused. My guess is about £250, but it could be more or less. When you take it in for repairs they should give you a quote, so you can then decide if it's worth going ahead with the fix. In my case I had two cameras repaired due to water ingress and that cost me about £600 for each!  :o

Reinardina

Isn't it covered by your contents insurance?

Beauty is bought by judgment of the eye.
Shakespeare. (Love's Labours Lost.)

jinky

Trouble is a claim on your insurance pushes up your premium. Sometimes easier to take the pain if repair costs are not too bad - especially after excess. Tough luck on you but chin up  ;). A 3rd party repairer is often cheaper.

Reinardina

True.

Camera is still under guarantee though, and 'normal' defects may still develop, which would normally be covered. Are they still covered if the camera has been repaired by a third party repairer?

Beauty is bought by judgment of the eye.
Shakespeare. (Love's Labours Lost.)

Simple

Warehouse Express (WEX) has recently set up a repair deal with Fixation. Give them a call and ask for quote. If it has happened to you, it has happened to someone else before , so they should have a fair idea of repair cost.

Alfonso_Frisk

I recently had a lens repaired by a company called 1staidrepairs.
The quote was 96gbp and was far cheaper than fixation.
Lens has been fine since the repair.

BTW, have tried removing battery, card and lens, giving all contacts a blow and wipe then putting back together?
you never know, might be worth a try.
Are you getting any error messages in the display?
http://www.fluidr.com/photos/nosmo_king2007
http://www.seateamimages.com/search.php
Wine improves with age, The older I get the more I like it.

Mick

Quote from: chris2pher on February 02, 2017, 10:42:17 PM
My very first dslr (canon 700d) that I've had a month fell off my tripod onto hard floor. Most of it works apart from in manual and press the shutter and the mirror goes up, but it doesn't fall until I press the shutter again. Majorly pissed off. Will this be expensive to fix? Shall I take it to Wilkinsons or send it to canon? i don't think I'll be able to take it back to John Lewis - its plain to see by the edge of the flash casing that i have dropped it

POO!

Sure you haven't got Mirror lock enabled? Might be worth checking your settings. http://www.dummies.com/photography/cameras/canon-camera/how-to-enable-mirror-lockup-on-the-rebel-t5i/
Thank You, "Guest" For Reading This Post.

My Gallery
Tinyportal.net Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0
Guitarist Guild Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0
The Garden Machinery Forum Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0

OpenSea

chris2pher

Thanks to all the replies and Mick was right. Somehow the mirror lock up was on. it wasn't before I dropped the camera. I managed to free up the flash after perservering and everything else now checks out ok. PHEW, am I chuffed. Camera insuance doesn't sound too bad now!!
:tup: :beer: :dance:

Mick

Quote from: chris2pher on February 04, 2017, 10:15:52 PM
Thanks to all the replies and Mick was right. Somehow the mirror lock up was on. it wasn't before I dropped the camera. I managed to free up the flash after perservering and everything else now checks out ok. PHEW, am I chuffed. Camera insuance doesn't sound too bad now!!
:tup: :beer: :dance:

Nice one, panic over then.  ;) Glad it worked out ok.
Thank You, "Guest" For Reading This Post.

My Gallery
Tinyportal.net Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0
Guitarist Guild Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0
The Garden Machinery Forum Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0

OpenSea

chris2pher

thanks for all the advice. Its my first ever dslr, thought it was going to be my last for a moment too!

Beaux Reflets

Glad you are sorted  -  Looking forward to seeing some of your shots  Chris2pher  :tup:
:beer: Andy

"Light anchors things in place and gives perspective meaning."

The choices we make are rooted in reflection.

http://beauxreflets.blogspot.com/

jinky

Glad it`s worked out Ok - now to see those shots  ;)

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.