• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,414
  • Total Topics: 5,707
  • Online today: 98
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 59
  • Total: 59
Wish
Microphone Arm,Aokeo AK-4...Sennheiser Profile USB Mi...Temu £100 Coupon bundle o...Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...

What bemused you today?

Started by greypoint, August 24, 2009, 07:51:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Simple

Sue, Several people I know have returned the D7000 with the same complaint. Definitely an issue there. The D90 is still the camera to go for if the D300s is above budget.
Hinfrance, I know quite a few Nature Photographers that have the same complaint and would opt for Nikon if they would do the same thing again. I have been told that using the dedicated AF button at the back of the
Canon camera, rather than the halfway pressing of the shutter button, will give quicker and more reliable results, but it is a matter of getting used to that way of shooting.

greypoint

Glad it was'nt just me!  :D I'd have liked a D300s again but not a new one at the price they still are - if I see a nice. low use one going cheap though..... The man at W/E said the D700 has disappeared and is now impossible to get so it looks like the new model people are waiting for will probably be a D700 replacement rather than D300s one. I suppose to some degree if the D7000 was as good as it's supposed to be a D300s replacement would'nt be necessary. I'm just happy to have a camera that I can rely on again  ::) Nice results from the D7000 but I think the K-5 shots were a bit better colourwise - some rather odd skin tones on some of the D7000 pictures :-\

Oldboy

The Gadget show on channel five tonight featured gadgets experiences, and one of them was been photographed like Paparazzi do to celebrities. The cost is around £160 a go. I see a business opportunity for members here!  8) ::)

Oldboy

After the rubbish summer here's what the Autumn and Winter have to offer!  :doh:

Weather experts are warning Brits - and the transport networks - to prepare for another year of Arctic temperatures and snow, which could start as early as October.

The gloomy winter forecast has been predicted by Exacta Weather, with forecaster James Madden telling the Daily Express: 'As we head towards winter, I expect to see the first signs of some moderate to heavy snowfalls as early as October or November in certain parts of the UK.

'I expect December, January, and February to experience below-average temperatures, with the heaviest snowfalls occurring within the time frame of November to ­January across many parts of the UK.'

Mr Madden also predicted 'prolonged periods of extreme cold and snow from the Arctic', and said that Scotland and the North should prepare for the worst of it.

Forecasters at Netweather predict 'widespread snowfall' by November, while the Met Office said the beginning of October would see lower-than-average night temps, creating overnight frosts.

Weather Services International also said October, November and December would see temperatures around two degrees lower than average.

All the signs point towards a 'big freeze' similar to last year, when the run-up to Christmas saw heavy snowfall of up to 30 inches causing chaos on the transport networks, with airports being brought to a standstill - a problem that cost the economy around £13 billion, according to the Express.

The news follows Britain being hit by Hurricane Katia just last month - the worst storm the UK has seen for 15 years with winds of up to 80mph leaving damage of around £100 million.

Jonathan

1. There's no mileage in "weather will be pretty much standard for the time of year" so the extreme stories always get "reported".

2. Is this the same panel of experts that said we were going to have the hottest summer for years and that last winter would be milder than normal?

3. Scotland and the North to be colder than the rest of the country?  In Winter?  For real?  Yeah, I remember that from geography O level.

4. Up to 30 inches of snow?  So that would include 29.8 inches?  And also zero inches?

5. "The news follows Britain being hit by Hurricane Katia just last month".  Follows as in "happens after".  Yep, things wok like that.  Autumn weather happens and then people start discussing what winter will be like.

6. No, Britain was not hit by Hurricane Katia.  We were hit by post tropical cyclone Katia.  It had lost a LOT of its energy by the time it got here - as hurricanes tend to.  Hurricanes feed off warm water and the Atlantic is pretty famous for not being warm in autumn.  There were a couple of hurricane force gusts but that's very very different from a hurricane.

In other news....it's lazy journalist season again.....
It's Guest's round

greypoint

If this is as accurate as the forecasts I've been checking all summer to see what the weather will be like when we're at an event...prepare for a mild winter ;D

Oldboy

Quote from: Jonathan on September 20, 2011, 03:57:46 PM
In other news....it's lazy journalist season again.....

You have been warned.  :dance:

bones615

WBMT - New mower has no throttle? In the unlikely event i feel energetic I cant make it go any faster.
Its also got an annoying dead mans handle, so if i stop to empty the box/pick up stones the engine cuts out. Health and safety i suppose, Ive tied it in position with a pretty bow so i can carry on without interuption.

Simon

anglefire

Frankly, I don't care what the weather will be - chances are that despite having a 4x4, other muppets will try and get out in inappropriate vehicles and equipment and block the roads anyway.

I just want the weather to be ok on the night/morning of 21/22 October so that I can get to the Tunnel and off to the Pyrenees for the week.
----------------------------------
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Current Bodies:
Canon 1Dx
Canon R3
Canon R5

Sold Bodies:
Canon 350D
Canon 1DMk3
Canon 5D
Canon 1Dx Mk3

spinner

Quote from: bones615 on September 24, 2011, 01:39:08 PM
WBMT - New mower has no throttle? In the unlikely event i feel energetic I cant make it go any faster.
Its also got an annoying dead mans handle, so if i stop to empty the box/pick up stones the engine cuts out. Health and safety i suppose, Ive tied it in position with a pretty bow so i can carry on without interuption.

Simon

When did you last buy a lawnmower? I don't remember owning one without that deadman's lever. I switched to gas powered in the mid 80's
And more, much more than this, I did it my way
Ol' blue eyes

http://ddsdigita4.wix.com/ddsdigital
https://www.flickr.com/photos/spin498/

Hinfrance

Bypassing the safety features is surely the first thing to do to any piece of machinery . .
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

bones615

Quote from: spinner on September 25, 2011, 01:45:04 AM
Quote from: bones615 on September 24, 2011, 01:39:08 PM

Simon

When did you last buy a lawnmower? I don't remember owning one without that deadman's lever. I switched to gas powered in the mid 80's

Probably mid eighties, they built them to last in the good old days!! I had an old petrol cylinder mower that didnt have one & more recently a rechargable electric rotary that had the handle but it didnt need restarting, more of an on/off switch.

Graham

Quote from: Hinfrance on September 25, 2011, 07:59:04 AM
Bypassing the safety features is surely the first thing to do to any piece of machinery . .

Well obviously! ???
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. 

My Gallery
My Flickr Pics

ABERS

Why can't things be left alone? >:(

My email system provider has told me with great delight that they've upgraded the system. All I can see that is different is that everything that was there is still there but somewhere else, so I'll have to spend the next few months getting used to it.

And why would I want to 'Follow us on Faece Book' when I can contact anyone I want to on Email and vice-versa? I get enough inane chatter nowadays on the TV without actively seeking out the sad Eleanor Rigbby's on what I believe are called social networks?

One bit of good news is that GCSE students are to be marked on spelling, grammar and punctuation. That'll make a few teachers quake in their boots!

Just run this through the spellcheck before I post it. :legit:

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.