• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,411
  • Total Topics: 5,704
  • Online today: 297
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 55
  • Total: 55
parkcameras
Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning ResourcesPhotography and Time of D...

Is anything real anymore

Started by spinner, January 11, 2010, 12:38:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

spinner

And more, much more than this, I did it my way
Ol' blue eyes

http://ddsdigita4.wix.com/ddsdigital
https://www.flickr.com/photos/spin498/

Forseti

Does make you wonder sometimes doesn't it? That video took an unimaginable amount of time and effort to produce but the principle is quite simple really. It's call chroma or green screen (Google it if interested) and I've been toying with the idea (just for fun) for a few days now especially with all this snow that we're getting. What I'm trying to achieve is the effect of someone walking through a forest of snow - leaving deep footprints obviously - but without the person appearing in the scene at all. Dress one's best friend up head to toe in a green suit (available from ebay for next to nothing) and then in video editing software such as Sony Vegas use the chroma key tool (basically a selection tool) to cut them out from the background. The scene has to be filmed twice (second time without the person) laying one video over the other so that by looking through the first video where the green suited person has been cut out will reveal the second video underneath. Incidentally, it is exactly this principle that the weather people use on TV - the map behind the presenter not actually being there at all.
Canon 7D,  Canon SX1 IS, EF100 f/2.8 USM Macro, EF70-200 f/4 L IS USM, EF17-40 f/4 L USM, Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM, Canon Speedlite 580EX MkII

"Everyone can take a great picture with digital, the knack is to take two" - David Bailey

picsfor

I have to say, watching the video i hadn't realised the extent to which chroma key filming was being used - but i'm not surprised it's being used.

The famous T Rex chase scene in Jurassic Park was made using a mass of Amiga 4000's with Video Toasters working in collaboration with another host of the most powerful PC's at the time.
The same scene can today be created using my iMac or similarly specced Windows based PC - or for those with a bit more money - A Sun Workstation.

It is that evolution of technology that has made things so cheap to produce. Even i've done some portrait stuff using chroma background and then overlaying in CS4.
It is no longer the preserve of the wealthy or the technically gifted spotty oik.

The phrase "the stars do their own stunts" doesn't have the same ring as it used to. Must also save a fortune in stuntmen, insurance, and H&S jobsworths.
It'll not be long before they are able to do away with body doubles.

Jonathan

Wow.

Couple of the scenes (burning boat and body in hot tub) looked awkwardly comped. But the rest - wow.

Last scene is interesting.  All of the guy in focus but immediate rolloff to defocused area.  Hard to get it that right in camera.  Cute trick where the comping enhances the shot.

BTW probably the only reason for watching Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow is the virtual backlot......
It's Guest's round

picsfor

Quote from: Jonathan on January 11, 2010, 08:03:25 AM
BTW probably the only reason for watching Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow is the virtual backlot......

That thought crossed my mind as i watched it the other night. You have to wonder if they even left the studio...

nickt

Wait 'till you see Avatar in 3D. Who needs actors!?

Nick

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.