• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,412
  • Total Topics: 5,705
  • Online today: 158
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 123
  • Total: 123
wex
Temu £100 Coupon bundle o...Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning Resources

What have I done!!!

Started by michaelb104, October 26, 2011, 06:19:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

michaelb104

I'll tell you what I've done, I nipped into London Camera Exchange today to have a look at the Sony A77 and see what it was like. 
Well after checking out the EVF and other stuff I asked the bloke behind the counter 'how much?', he quoted a figure, I asked if he could do a deal, he then asked me what would I pay, so I asked for £200 off (thinking not likely), anyway he came back to me and said if I buy it now he would do it with that discount.

So I am the now the proud owner of a camera with an EVF and a fixed translucent mirror and a battery that is currently charging.

I am also making the assumption that having a new camera will make me a fantastic photographer :2funny: It is all about the equipment isn't it???  :legit:
Mike

My Flickr   .   My Fluidr

Beaux Reflets

Nice one Michael, but you should have asked for more off  :2funny: - When folk agree to drop the price, :idea: I always try to barter for more  :tup: Looking forward to seeing some shots. Off to Google the model you bought  :legit:
:beer: Andy

"Light anchors things in place and gives perspective meaning."

The choices we make are rooted in reflection.

http://beauxreflets.blogspot.com/

Oldboy

Well done Mike for asking for the discount.  :tup:

Just had a read of What Digital Camera review of the A77 and they give it 92% and reckon it's a fantastic camera. The only downside it's  a bit heavy on batteries, so hope you've got a spare. Now all you need to do is go out and have fun, and buy a couple of big hard disks to store those 68mp Raws.  ;D

Review: http://www.whatdigitalcamera.com/equipment/reviews/digitalslr/129198/1/sony-alpha-a77-review.html

greypoint

Interesting to see if that evf can cope with fast action.

Reinardina

Well done Michael! Now you only ave to make sure you enter the competitions regularly to prove your point!

Beauty is bought by judgment of the eye.
Shakespeare. (Love's Labours Lost.)

Graham

Quote from: michaelb104 on October 26, 2011, 06:19:00 PM
I am also making the assumption that having a new camera will make me a fantastic photographer :2funny: It is all about the equipment isn't it???  :legit:

Absobleedinglutley! Of course it will.  Have fun.  :tup:
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. 

My Gallery
My Flickr Pics

Hinfrance

Sounds brilliant.

I had a look through the specification and couldn't see if it is weather sealed - I presume that at such a price it is?

The frame rate and continuous focus will make you a god ;)
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

greypoint

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Al1BI82nV9A    DigitalRevs usual quirky review proves it is indeed weather sealed

Oldboy

Quote from: greypoint on October 27, 2011, 09:49:23 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Al1BI82nV9A    DigitalRevs usual quirky review proves it is indeed weather sealed

In the reviews I've read it say it's dust protected, nothing about weather seals.  ??? ???

krennon

Michael you jammy Barsteward you!!!£200.00 quid off the A77 you absolute b*/&*y lucky git..... ;)

Yes I am JEALOUS!!!! Extremely.....I had a play for about 30 seconds with one the other week in my local Jacobs and I really liked it and I reckon that that x2 convertor with a 75-300mm lens on it would negate the necessity for a super telephoto/zoom lens such as the 70-400 (althought that would be AWESOME ok it reduces the file size using the convertor but when you've got 24mp to play with you can afford to lose some)
I'm just intrigued as to how good that EVF really is because my old Fuji S6500 had a evf and after a days shooting I ended up with a bit of a headache and sort of "eye strain"...I know this is supposed to be an absolute super EVF though.
The review in AP (last week or the week before) did say that there is a slight loss in IQ in lower light images due to some of the light coming through the lens being diverted onto the pellicle mirror but at least the iso starts at 50 which is great for the Sunshine (fuji velvia anybody  ;))

fwiw the reviews I've read do say that the seals are supposed to be weather and dust resistant on the A77 as they've bought out the 16-50mm lens to go with it, whether they are as good as those found on the Pentax remains to be seen of course....

I'm saving for the A65 as the A77 is WELL out of my price league but the A65 does have the same sensor as the A77 but loses the top plate lcd, the weather seals and the gps function the only one of those I'd be really keen to have is the weather sealing tbh.

But well done Michael that is a superb buy....right i'm off to sulk and cry and then google the going price for human organs, sure I've got something in me that can be sold..... ;)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/keithfransella/

"Everything in moderation including moderation" Oscar Wilde

Carlj

Remember to switch auto-review off - seems the "pros" on magazines fail to do this, and report the slideshow in evf mode. I've turned if off on the A55 and have no problems with the EVF keeping up with 10fps - the person holding the camera, however, isn't as fast to react!  :beer:

michaelb104

Got to admit I still haven't used it in anger yet, as busy when I got it and being away all last week with work, so when I get home it's time for house, family stuff but hopefully this afternoon I'll take it out for a walk and see if I cannot get a Halloween image for this week's comp.

As for the EVF, I've got to say I'm impressed, it's big it's bright and in low light it compensates so you can see more than with an OVF.  At the moment I think it is way better than an OVF in both bright light and low light, though when it is low light you can tell it's not an OVF as it seems more like watching a TV screen (which I guess it is).  When panning the EVF image does not break up so you can see what you are panning with and the upside is that when you finally press the shutter it does not go black because of the fixed mirror.  The caveat to this is that I am comparing it to the OVF in my Sony A350 which I never had an issue with and did its job absolutely fine.
Mike

My Flickr   .   My Fluidr

krennon

Michael I to use the Sony A350 and love it the only thing that lets it down imo is the frame rate for those fast action shots (went to a bird of prey shoot a few weeks ago and seriously hard to keep up with them) but if you reckon the evf on the A77 is as good as the ovf on the A350 I will seriously consider saving for the A65 as it's the same evf on both the A65 & A77...let us know how you get on with it...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/keithfransella/

"Everything in moderation including moderation" Oscar Wilde

mondmagu

Nice purchase Michael, enjoy! I used to have a Sony bridge camera(DSC H5) a few years back and never could fault it. :tup:

Des
Des
www.flickr.com/photos/mondmagu

Carlj

Quote from: krennon on November 06, 2011, 11:41:27 AM
Michael I to use the Sony A350 and love it the only thing that lets it down imo is the frame rate for those fast action shots (went to a bird of prey shoot a few weeks ago and seriously hard to keep up with them) but if you reckon the evf on the A77 is as good as the ovf on the A350 I will seriously consider saving for the A65 as it's the same evf on both the A65 & A77...let us know how you get on with it...

I used to have the A300 with A200 - the A300 was the worse viewfinder I owned, so I ended up buying a magnifier eyepiece to enable me to see clearly where the focus lay. The A55 is a mighty step forward from them, the A65/77 a similar step from my A55. Basically it blows away the entry level ovf. And I love the live histogram too.
Carl

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.