• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,412
  • Total Topics: 5,705
  • Online today: 158
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 29
  • Total: 29
aliexpress
Temu £100 Coupon bundle o...Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning Resources

Second hand bridge?

Started by bones615, December 05, 2010, 02:19:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bones615

Going on a family holiday abroad in the summer, 1st time in years and my dilemma is should I travel light with camera & a couple of lenses or even lighter by investing in a second hand bridge?
I have been checking them out in the under £100 range & narrowed it down to a Panasonic FZ? (quite pricey) or a Fuji s1500/1600 or you might have a better idea. Most likely use will be the usual holiday snaps but you never know what might crop up.
Any ideas, suggestions or experiences?

Simon.

bones615

Well I bought a Panasonic TZ18 in may, pretty much unused until 2 weeks ago when we went to Tenerife for a fortnight.
1st impressions -

1. No gear to lug about - great
2. Put it on auto & enjoy my holiday
3. The whole family can use it.
4. Great zoom (16x optical)
5. Videos look good, shame about my wobbly hands.
6. Battery life good
7. Small & inconspicuous

Downsides
1. Never going to rival my DSLR
2. Wide angle (24mm) more like a fish eye, anything close & near the edge looks wonky
3. Software not the best.

Will post some pics & videos when i have sorted them out, 800+ pics & 1/2 a dozen videos.

Simon

Hinfrance

Glad you had a good time.

I bought myself an LX5 during my visit to London.

Good points:
1. RAW
2. Superb fast Leica lens
3. Fast start up and focus
4. Seems well built
5. 4 different aspect ratios available
6. Videos OK
7. Hot shoe
8. Compact and bijou, Mostin.

Bad Points
1. Lens distortion at the wide end and some CA (but DxO have a module for this, see below)
2. Battery life if you do not limit the LCD on time
3. Noise above 400ISO
4. No paper manual

Before DxO

After DxO (auto, vignetting off)

Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

krennon

I had a FUJI S6500fd a few years back and it was superb, not sure what the most recent version is but it had 28-300 lens, and I got some cracking shots with it, mine took xd cards but think the newer one switched to SD and come with a hotshoe which mine didn't have (one of the reasons I upgraded to a DSLR)
If I was in the market for a bridge camera in all honesty I would probably go with a FUJI as I loved mine and sold it to a friend for almost as much as I paid for it and she's still got it and loves using it.
Just my twopenneth worth.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/keithfransella/

"Everything in moderation including moderation" Oscar Wilde

Hinfrance

Indeed Keith, the Fuji bridges are excellent. I had an S9500 for several years - great camera.

I just needed something pocketable.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

SimonW

I'd be reluctant to trust any brand new or second hand camera for a holiday, especially a "trip of a lifetime". Not just the risk of a fault, but also lack of familiarity with the controls etc. However, if you can give it a good try-out for a month or so beforehand, that's fine. I found, last family holiday I left the SLR behind and took a decent compact (Canon s95) and never regretted it.
Simon Warren
(in Dunning, Scotland)

bones615

Just added a video to youtube from the tz18

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ce3pwqSCKXM&hd=1

Simon

Oldboy

Jonathan

So in December you asked for advice.  Nobody gave any :( In July you reported back on your choice.  Now people are recommending cameras......... :D
It's Guest's round

Hinfrance

Quote from: Jonathan on July 22, 2011, 07:57:49 AM
So in December you asked for advice.  Nobody gave any :( In July you reported back on your choice.  Now people are recommending cameras......... :D

You can't rush these things . .  :)
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr

Oldboy

Quote from: Hinfrance on July 22, 2011, 08:13:59 AM

You can't rush these things . .  :)

:2funny: :2funny:

Markulous

I bought my G11 s/h just before going on holiday - but then it isn't a bridge.  ::)
I did get some great pics too (with both it and with the 30D I took - I'm never likely to leave a dSLR behind!)

<---------- avatar shot taken with the 30D + 105
Whatever and ever. Amen
http://smg.photobucket.com/home/Markulous/index
Mark @ Photobucket

bones615

Thats why they call me Billy no mates  :(

Oldboy

Quote from: bones615 on July 22, 2011, 06:20:56 PM

Thats why they call me Billy no mates  :(

You've got lots of mates, just a shame they not in this universe!  :2funny:

SimonW

I must confess, when I jumped in to bash out a quick reply to the new post, I didn't notice the date of the first one. Memo to self - must read the threads more carefully.
Simon Warren
(in Dunning, Scotland)

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.