• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,411
  • Total Topics: 5,704
  • Online today: 136
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 139
  • Total: 139
  • Google
photobox
Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning ResourcesPhotography and Time of D...

Is it that Time of Year again, already!

Started by ABERS, November 06, 2012, 02:35:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hinfrance

The guy with the cat was my favourite, but they're all pretty humdrum really. Any one of yours ought to wipe the floor with them.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

ABERS

Very kind of you, it goes for everyone else here!

Beaux Reflets

Once again muted Colour seems popular (although I quite like the tonal range in the winning image)

::) :o :D Aah. Chuck in a bit of nudity for slot two; always popular and pleasing for a demanding audience  :2funny:

Like snoring, a bit repetitive  :(
:beer: Andy

"Light anchors things in place and gives perspective meaning."

The choices we make are rooted in reflection.

http://beauxreflets.blogspot.com/

SimonW

Most of those, if I had taken them, I'd probably have deleted. No wonder I'll never be a great photographer!
Simon Warren
(in Dunning, Scotland)

Graham

If anyone's stuck for a competition theme, what about "In the style of"!
                                Graham. :)

edit.   Though probably without the "Lady parts".
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. 

My Gallery
My Flickr Pics

ABERS

Quote from: Graham on November 07, 2012, 06:15:26 AM
  If anyone's stuck for a competition theme, what about "In the style of"!
                                Graham. :)

edit.   Though probably without the "Lady parts".

If you need a few ideas, have a look at this.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-20203475

Here's my take on William Eggleton.

Suburban Red by abers, on Flickr

:uglystupid2:

Hinfrance

Good stuff Alan, the only problem for Andy and I is that street photography is now illegal in France (if there are any 'identifiable' people in the picture). Mind you, I'm prepared to wing it most of the time . . .
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

anglefire

What? Hows that work then?

I mean, you go to the beach and take pictures of your kids (Say) and someone else is in the background? Or even the street? Madness.
----------------------------------
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Current Bodies:
Canon 1Dx
Canon R3
Canon R5

Sold Bodies:
Canon 350D
Canon 1DMk3
Canon 5D
Canon 1Dx Mk3

Beaux Reflets

Quote from: anglefire on November 07, 2012, 09:58:42 PM

I mean, you go to the beach and take pictures of your kids (Say) and someone else is in the background? Or even the street? Madness.

There is no problem taking photographs in public areas for private use. However, if you are publishing them on the Internet etc., other's privacy must be considered.

skellum

Quote from: beauxreflets on November 07, 2012, 10:31:36 PM
Quote from: anglefire on November 07, 2012, 09:58:42 PM

There is no problem taking photographs in public areas for private use. However, if you are publishing them on the Internet etc., other's privacy must be considered.

I have just done a job for a London Real Estate Company who are selling a Shopping Centre in Preston. I was asked to supply over 100 pictures of the Shopping Centre and surrounding area with plenty of people shots. So how do they sell commercial property in France ?

Hinfrance

There are exemptions (journalism, fair comment, the picture being of a scene that might incidentally have people in it); depends how good your lawyer is. Also, lots of people don't give a monkeys. The law was introduced by politicians for the benefit of politicians and dressed up as being for the general good. Oh, and just asking someone if it OK if their picture is published is not good enough - it has to be in writing and in a standard format. Cartier-Bresson would be in jail by now.

That said I was on one occasion contacted by a relative of someone I had posted a picture of on Flickr. The old gentleman had passed away a few months after I took his picture and his grand daughter wanted a print because it was the last known picture of him. I was, of course, happy to oblige. The thing is, if I was a law abiding citizen she would never have had that memory. I have read in one of the numerous photo magazines here that it is generally considered that if a request to remove an image is honoured then that would be the end of it.

As far as I know the law has never been tested on internet publishing on servers located overseas.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr

Beaux Reflets

As I understand it, crowded street scenes are acceptable as long as no specific person can be identified; which effectively means identifiable beyond doubt (ie. it is a question upon the picture clarity of the people in view). If a person can be clearly identified in a shot then their right to Privacy has to be considered and the tog should seek written permission before publishing the image any public media. As Howard says the exemptions do exist for press togs etc..

As a foot note toward caution - Legal aid is available; So if a UK resident (while they are on holiday) takes a shot of a vulnerable person on the street in Paris (that exploits that persons predicament) and posts said shot on the Internet (in public domain) they could find themselves in very hot water.

Hinfrance

Just been reading up on the legal codes (seems to change every time I look at it), it now seems that you can publish pictures of people who are participating in a demonstration or parade, and those two are the only exceptions. For journalist images of people engaged in their public life only may be published. You can even pursue people through the courts for taking pictures of your house. It is very restrictive indeed; the fine is €45,000 and one year in jail.

I am still trying to find some case history involving non journalists; given the popularity of both tourism and sites like Facebook I can't really see how this law has any realistic prospect of being enforced in practice.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.