• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,412
  • Total Topics: 5,705
  • Online today: 158
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 72
  • Total: 72
If you would like to make a donation to help with the running costs of the site, then a donation button has been added to the bottom of the page.  Thanks.
Temu £100 Coupon bundle o...Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning Resources

Chat thread for weekly comp: 16th to 22nd July: B&W but not monochrome

Started by Delamanda, July 15, 2012, 10:03:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Delamanda

Although I was the first to post, Reinardina and I split the vote, so we've consulted and agreed on the following:

This week's topic is black and white but it doesn't have to be monochrome (although it can be).  In other words, the subject has to be genuinely black and white - zebras, chess boards, newspapers, pandas etc. 
Any post-processing welcome

Pictures to be taken between 00.01am Monday 16th July 2012 to 23:59 Sunday 22nd July 2012 .
Pictures to be posted in the entries thread no later than 23.59pm Monday 23rd July 2012.
Poll will be up Tuesday 24th July 2012.
Winner to be announced Saturday 28th July 2012.

The Rules for the weekly competition are...
By entering you agree to take responsibility to
Post a topic on the Sunday following your declared win
Create an entries thread
Create a chat thread
Create a poll for that weeks comp and declare the winner on the Saturday
(If for any reason there is a problem and no subject is posted by the winner by Monday night admin will advise second place winner to post the topic asap, do the poll etc)

In case of a tie, the first entry posted wins.

Photos to be taken during the specified dates, ie Monday xx to Sunday xx

DigiDiva

Please visit my website @ www.sunderlandwallart.com

SimonW

A great idea! And only a couple of hours after I read it I saw an opportunity. So I've definitely got an entry of sorts, but I'll not post it yet as hopefully I've got time to do better.
Simon Warren
(in Dunning, Scotland)

Sarasocke

Can there be any colour in the image at all?
For instance the eye/nose/ears/whatever of the panda/zebra/whatever. Or sould it be converted to b/w in that case?
Carol aka Sarasocke 
My Gallery

Oldboy

Quote from: Sarasocke on July 17, 2012, 07:48:37 AM
Can there be any colour in the image at all?
For instance the eye/nose/ears/whatever of the panda/zebra/whatever. Or sould it be converted to b/w in that case?

From reading between the lines, colour is OK as long as the main subject is B&W, so a Zebra is fine.  :tup:

Hinfrance

Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Reinardina

Pandas are okay too Howard. Any of those lurking in your area?

And yes, Carol, they can have eyes of a different colour. I suppose you're spoilt for choice?

I haven't got round to it, still too many photos to process and another 'mission' this afternoon. Hope to get something though. Fingers crossed.

It hasn't rained yet!!!!

Beauty is bought by judgment of the eye.
Shakespeare. (Love's Labours Lost.)

Delamanda

"Pandas are okay too Howard. Any of those lurking in your area?"

Obviously the red panda wouldn't count, but giant pandas are ok.  I wanted a pet panda until I found out how much bamboo they eat on a daily basis and the housekeeping just won't stretch that far:-(

Reinardina

Quote from: Delamanda on July 17, 2012, 11:03:34 PM
"Pandas are okay too Howard. Any of those lurking in your area?"

Obviously the red panda wouldn't count, but giant pandas are ok.  I wanted a pet panda until I found out how much bamboo they eat on a daily basis and the housekeeping just won't stretch that far:-(

I always automatically think of the giant panda!

I'm not sure they'd 'do' as pets. They look cute with their black eye patches and lumbering gait, but apart from eating, they don't seem to do anything much. And the chance of an even cuter baby panda is virtually zero.

Reinardina

Couldn't find any giant pandas, nor zebras, not even those that cross roads; hoped to find a border collie somewhere, also to no avail. Dice and dominoes I didn't want, tried some other random things and then I met a small herd of Galloways.
They're not used to people, so I did not have much time, as every time I moved, they moved too. Away from me.
In the end, I 'trapped this one in my camera.

jinky

I`ll have to see if one of my wedding shots that I am covering on Saturday will fit the brief. In Leeds for a few days for that job in between my numerous trips to see  mum in Newcastle. Just not around on the various forums I am afraid except when I use my mobile in the hospital. Poorly mums eh! I dread to think what I have been paying out i petrol and hospital parking fees. £14 a day at the first one!!!

Hinfrance

Sorry to hear of your travails Paul - we all have our thoughts with you I'm sure.

Reinardina - the cow is a good idea. Still no good to me though, the cows around here are almost all Aquitaine - ie whitish.

My chess board is brown and white, the pieces clear and ground glass, I've not even got a watch that is black and white - black and silver, but not black and white. I'm keeping my eyes open, honest, but short of a national speed limit applies sign I'm not seeing anything that is black and white and nothing else.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Reinardina

Sorry to hear your mum is still in hospital, Paul. I know the feeling, but I was lucky as my mum was in a hospital very near her home, where my sister and I were staying at the time. A mere five minute walk.

Howard. No black and white pottery anywhere? A cat, a dog. a magpie? I bet your wife has some nice black and white items of clothing; she photographs very well, so that might solve your problem. No Pierrot type things about the house? A piano? A computer keyboard? A beautiful black and white photograph on a wall? Or would that be cheating? Old fashioned black and white tiling?

On my way to work on Wednesday I came past e nice black and white house, but didn't want to return, so was glad I found my cow.

Hope I have jogged a memory; you never know, sometimes a single word can unleash a stream of thoughts.

Good luck to everyone.

ABERS

Revisited the Mercedes Benz World on Wednesday to take an image that had been rattling around in my head to add to a set that I've been working on for a few months. Now whilst I was there I walked along a corridor that linked to the Motorsport section, and whilst I don't enter the competitions on CC,  I thought colour B+W which I'd read about.  :idea:

Here it is.

P.S I got the image I went for ;)

Reinardina

I'm glad you're not entering Alan! Great shot; and it just shows black and white can 'hit' you anywhere!

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.