• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,412
  • Total Topics: 5,705
  • Online today: 249
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 94
  • Total: 94
7ds
Temu £100 Coupon bundle o...Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning Resources

total newby getting canon 700d for chrimbo

Started by chris2pher, December 09, 2016, 09:50:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chris2pher

Hi. After decades of interest in pics and photography and a year of watching photography vids on youtube and talking to people I've taken the plunge. Its my first ever dslr. Don't normally get excited about presents but can't wait. Then I'll need a beginners course. Should I be content with a kit lens to begin with?

Great forum

Oldboy

Welcome Chris2pher. Most kit lenses are fine to start with and the one with the 700D is the 18-55mm. Great for landscapes but a bit short on reach. I suggest talking to the company you are buying it from and change the kit lens for the Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 IS STM Lens. it will cost about £100 more but will give you more reach for wildlife shots. This lens covers a great range and will allow you to avoid buying another lens until you know what you want to shoot. Whatever you decide, get out there a take photos. It's the best way to learn and we all started off the same way. Any help just ask anyone on here. The most important lesson is to have fun.  :tup:

Hinfrance

You might want to try for a dual lens starter kit - I've seen these from Canon, Nikon and Sony in my local supermarket, all very reasonably priced.

That said, unless you are particularly interested in sports or wildlife photography a longer reach lens might not be worth investing in. I changed the kit lens on my Pentax DSLR for a Tamron with an even shorter range - 17-50mm f2.8, for the wider aperture. It's hardly ever off of the camera. But if it's raining I use the kit lens, which is weatherproof.

Enjoy you new camera, and don't hesitate to ask any questions, there should always be someone around here who can help.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

jinky

Enjoy the new hobby. I`d say the same as H - if money allows go for the twin lens set if you can get a good deal. If not start with the kit lens supplied and you`ll need to wait to afford a lens for the bird watching for which a 70-300 might be best. Don`t try to run before you can walk though. Photographers can waste a lot of money buying the wrong lenses at the wrong time instead of concentrating on getting to know their camera inside out first and deciding what you need rather than what you want. My best early buy was a nifty fifty - 50mm 1.8 lens which are amongst the cheapest and let you really get you to understand the effect of apertures on output.

Post your pics for comment on here and have a go at the weekly comp themed shost to set yourslef little challenges when you start - always fun. Good luck with it - it`s a great hobby

StephenBatey

Welcome to the forum and to photography, Chris2pher. My advice would be to stick to the kit lens until you find it has limitations. A lens is just a tool to do a job, and if you don't have a particular job to do, you don't need the tool. That's from a saving money perspective. More importantly, the less choice you have, the less there is to confuse you. DSLRs are extremely complex just on their own, without adding to the complexity. With less to distrasct you, you'll be able to concentrate on what really matters - the picture.
Both income tax and lockdowns were introduced as temporary measures by the government.

David Blandford

Hello  Chris2pher and welcome to Camera Craniums. You will find the people on this site are only to pleased to offer guidance and advice. My only advice will be to enjoy using your Canon and do not be afraid to switch off the auto settings and try using some of the other features. Remember everybody will have an opinion about your work but the only one that counts is yours.
still trying to paint with light!!

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.