• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,411
  • Total Topics: 5,704
  • Online today: 297
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 94
  • Total: 94
  • Google (AdSense) (3)
wex
Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning ResourcesPhotography and Time of D...

Bin Ladens Dead

Started by Just Dave, May 02, 2011, 07:11:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Just Dave

Just got up to news Bin Laden has been killed in Pakistan, his body is in US custody, at last some justice has been done,  Will make the world a more insecure, the world will need to be even more vigilant to the threat of terrorism, and the lash back from his death, it will not bring an end to Al Quada
Visit Our Website Clicky Linky My Flickr Clicky Linky Scrap Cars Buyer scrapcarsbuyer.co.uk

Jonathan

Satisfying?  Yes.

The "right" thing to do?  Probably.

An increase to perceived world security?  Maybe.  For a while.

But justice?  Nah.

I don't have a problem with the US effectively eliminating a military target (or whatever euphemisms they like to use) but to brag about it like it's a triumphant day for democracy and justice seems a little too much.
It's Guest's round

Mick

Quote from: Just Dave on May 02, 2011, 07:11:06 AM

and the lash back from his death, it will not bring an end to Al Quada

That bit worries me more than anything TBH.  :legit:
Thank You, "Guest" For Reading This Post.

My Gallery
Tinyportal.net Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0
Guitarist Guild Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0
The Garden Machinery Forum Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0

OpenSea

Just Dave

Yeah really I meant  in the eyes of the victims families, they will think some justice has been done
Visit Our Website Clicky Linky My Flickr Clicky Linky Scrap Cars Buyer scrapcarsbuyer.co.uk

anglefire

Quote from: Jonathan on May 02, 2011, 08:35:17 AM
I don't have a problem with the US effectively eliminating a military target (or whatever euphemisms they like to use) but to brag about it like it's a triumphant day for democracy and justice seems a little too much.

I agree - don't see what democracy has to do with it TBH. Killing one man will do nothing for it - potentially make it worse if anyone else can step up to the mark.

What they haven't said (That I've seen - and haven't looked that hard!) is who else was taken out, and what cost in terms of US/Pakistani people.

If they have taken the upper level - it is possible AQ will fall apart - but I seriously doubt it.
----------------------------------
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Current Bodies:
Canon 1Dx
Canon R3
Canon R5

Sold Bodies:
Canon 350D
Canon 1DMk3
Canon 5D
Canon 1Dx Mk3

Beaux Reflets

In my opinion the 'reporting media' need to slow down a bit. The consequential effects of 'bragging n celebration' may just encourage more evil mind, to increase any potential in a backlash.
:beer: Andy

"Light anchors things in place and gives perspective meaning."

The choices we make are rooted in reflection.

http://beauxreflets.blogspot.com/

picsfor

I'm not sorry it has happened, and in honesty - i'm not sure any other outcome was really plausible.
You couldn't let him have his day in court - too many secrets to be spilled. Past administrations were complicit in his rise...
Reports say he has been buried at sea - well you couldn't really assign him a fixed burial place because of the focus such a point would provide (just look at the aftermath of Raul Moat)

But is it a time to celebrate? No - death is never something to celebrate...

Jonathan

Quote from: Just Dave on May 02, 2011, 08:54:13 AM
Yeah really I meant  in the eyes of the victims families, they will think some justice has been done

Yeah I didn't mean you ;)  Obama actually said "justice has been done".  Which is kind of interesting given the US's rather shaky approach to war crimes.

Quote from: anglefire on May 02, 2011, 09:26:31 AM
I agree - don't see what democracy has to do with it TBH. Killing one man will do nothing for it - potentially make it worse if anyone else can step up to the mark.

There have been a whole bunch of atrocities laid at the door of Al-Qaeda in the past few years.  Can't remember that last time one was linked to OBL.

Quote from: anglefire on May 02, 2011, 09:26:31 AM
What they haven't said (That I've seen - and haven't looked that hard!) is who else was taken out, and what cost in terms of US/Pakistani people.

BBC are reporting 3 men (one son and 2 "couriers") dead plus one woman who was used as a human shield...............

One US helicopter destroyed due to "technical problems".  No US casualties.

There was an excellent documentary by the BBC shortly after 9/11 producing pretty compelling evidence that the CIA had basically invented Al-Quaeda.  Once they came up with the concept lots of terrorist organisations kind of bundled together and made it real.  But it has never seemed a single person organisation to me.  One person's death won't destroy it.  It's possible nothing can (and if you're a conspiracy theorist then the US military for one would never allow it to vanish....)
It's Guest's round

picsfor

I'm sure this will get some extra defence budget money for those orchestrating all of this (cynically said)

Hinfrance

Quote from: Jonathan on May 02, 2011, 09:43:09 AM
There was an excellent documentary by the BBC shortly after 9/11 producing pretty compelling evidence that the CIA had basically invented Al-Quaeda.  Once they came up with the concept lots of terrorist organisations kind of bundled together and made it real.  But it has never seemed a single person organisation to me.  One person's death won't destroy it.  It's possible nothing can (and if you're a conspiracy theorist then the US military for one would never allow it to vanish....)

That was 'The Power of Nightmares' which rapidly disappeared from the beeb archives shortly after it was aired. There are copies of it about on the web if you look hard enough (and in my DivX collection).

So the body has already been 'buried at sea'. Quite convenient since he had probably been dead for nearly a decade.

Al Qaeda doesn't exist in any meaningful sense of the word, and never has. OBL was a figurehead that the west found essential for the prosecution of the war in Afghanistan in particular, and it didn't hurt the opposition to pretend that they had a hero who could evade the most powerful nation on earth no matter how hard they tried to find him.

I'm just puzzled by the timing? Why now?

Anyhoo, the boxed DVD set of Greatest Hits should be available in the shops very soon . .
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

jinky

Strange Henry Cooper and Bin Laden dying on the same day - I mean,talking conspiracy theories, did you ever see the two in the same room together?  ;)

picsfor

Quote from: jinky on May 02, 2011, 11:26:16 AM
Strange Henry Cooper and Bin Laden dying on the same day - I mean,talking conspiracy theories, did you ever see the two in the same room together?  ;)

no but i heard Ted Lowe commentated on it!

Beryl

Yep when some like that one dies or is killed the public only find out when it is politically convenient
A true friend is the best possession

My Web site
http://berylladd.com/
Oh . And thanks for looking in

krennon

Quote from: Jonathan on May 02, 2011, 08:35:17 AM
Satisfying?  Yes.

The "right" thing to do?  Probably.

An increase to perceived world security?  Maybe.  For a while.

But justice?  Nah.

I kind of agree with Jonathans comments here. However if AQ aka The Taliban and whatever other name you want to call the terrorists/insurgents etc had succeeded in capturing Prince Harry when he was serving in Afghanistan, do you not think that they would not have hesitated in beheading him and posting it online as has happened with other so called "hostages" and bragged about it for years to come...I worked for an american owned co. back in 2001 and my company lost 350 members of staff including our vice president and his sister who was just visiting him in the twin towers....Whilst no death should ever be celebrated, I do feel a certain sense of satisfaction that OBL is now dead....
Although if you're a conspiracy theorist....Tell the world he has been buried at sea to avoid a shrine being set up, meanwhile an extraordinary rendition flight out of Pakistan to friendlier territory with an un-named and unidentified prisoner on board on route to the U.S.A. to be held forever more in solitary confinement whilst being questioned for intelligence relating to possible terrorist attacks...would not be out of the question...possibly????
http://www.flickr.com/photos/keithfransella/

"Everything in moderation including moderation" Oscar Wilde

Jonathan

Quote from: krennon on May 03, 2011, 01:13:00 PM
if AQ aka The Taliban and whatever other name you want to call the terrorists/insurgents etc had succeeded in capturing Prince Harry when he was serving in Afghanistan, do you not think that they would not have hesitated in beheading him and posting it online as has happened with other so called "hostages" and bragged about it for years to come...

I don't doubt that for a second.  And I understand the blood lust for vengeance.

But we're supposed to be the good guys.

If we do stuff because our enemies would do the same then we are no different from them.  And no better.
It's Guest's round

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.