• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,412
  • Total Topics: 5,705
  • Online today: 158
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 110
  • Total: 110
parkcameras
Temu £100 Coupon bundle o...Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning Resources

nikon 24-70

Started by alan1572, January 02, 2011, 05:20:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alan1572

nikon 24-70 wanted
Who wanted dry roasted with their pint?

jinky

You and me both Alan. They seem to go for nearly as much second hand as new. I`m fighting the urge to get one from Jessops on 6 months interest free at the moment - fear I may weaken soon  ;)

alan1572

i have just sold my 12-24 so i have only the nikon 105mm and the nikon 70-200mm vr II so i now have a large gap at the shallow end

alan1572

just looking on ebay and theres a sigma version going for £445, they are only £575 new, but because i'm a brand snob i can't bring myself to buy a sigma one :-\

alan1572

Quote from: jinky on January 02, 2011, 06:24:11 PM
You and me both Alan. They seem to go for nearly as much second hand as new.   ;)

£950 second hand with a worn front cap and rubbed out letters on the barrel, they are only another £120 or so new.

Oldboy

You'll be lucky to get a 24-70mm F2.8 for less than a £1,000. Gray's of Westminister have a Nikon 35-70mm F2.8D AF at £425 and also one at £395, which might be your best bet to almost cover that range. You could also choose the Nikon 24-85mm F2.8-4 D IF at £520 brand new.  ;D

Trickee

Mifsuds have it at £1177 before the dreaded V.A.T increase  :tup:

Jonathan

There's a 2nd hand allegedly mint 24-70 on http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/ right now for £910.  I know nothing about the seller but exotic stuff often turns up there at reasonable prices ;) (You'll need to join the site to view for sale threads).

TBH I wouldn't bother with the Sigma - no matter what reviews say.

If funds are tight and you can find one then check out the old school 28-70.  They change hands for £600 or so and it's very nice.  Or like OB said - check out the 35 - 70 - but not at anything like those prices.  Mine was about £130 - there are a couple at Fixation for < £300.
It's Guest's round

Oldboy

Quote from: Jonathan on January 03, 2011, 12:21:17 PM
If funds are tight and you can find one then check out the old school 28-70.  They change hands for £600 or so and it's very nice.  Or like OB said - check out the 35 - 70 - but not at anything like those prices.  Mine was about £130 - there are a couple at Fixation for < £300.

With Grey's you get a secondhand lens that is as good as new, worth it for piece of mind.  ;D

Jonathan

Quote from: Oldboy on January 03, 2011, 02:32:12 PM
Quote from: Jonathan on January 03, 2011, 12:21:17 PM

With Grey's you get a secondhand lens that is as good as new, worth it for piece of mind.  ;D

That's their reputation but I wasn't overly impressed with the last lens I bought there.  I'd rather take a 3 month warranty from Fixation than their higher prices ;)
It's Guest's round

jinky

Yeah saw that " Mint but the rubber has come unstuck on the zoom and needs some glue. I think I`d pay for new and get the warranty.

Jonathan

Quote from: jinky on January 03, 2011, 04:38:18 PM
Yeah saw that " Mint but the rubber has come unstuck on the zoom and needs some glue. I think I`d pay for new and get the warranty.

Actually the rubber is basically a consumable on this lens ;)  Don't glue it - get Nikon to replace.  It's friction fit.
It's Guest's round

alan1572

so reading his reviews the 2.8 is a better lens, cheers Ob

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.