• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,411
  • Total Topics: 5,704
  • Online today: 297
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 256
  • Total: 256
  • Google
parkcameras
Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning ResourcesPhotography and Time of D...

Missed Opportunity

Started by deetus, October 22, 2013, 10:13:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deetus

A few weeks ago at harvest time I was driving past a field with straw bales and a trailer with one or two bales on the back. I thought to myself that there might be a good photo opportunity there.
The following morning I passed this field a few more times ( I'm a taxi driver and this is on a regular route not far from home ) and I started to imagine how best to photograph the scene, the position of the bales on and around the trailer looking good to me.
By the afternoon I'd decided that if there was a decent sunset that evening I'd be out there for the shot. At about 4 p.m. I checked on the field and everything was in place.
Come the evening and a beautiful sunset with clouds to die for, grabbed camera and tripod, drove up to the field. When I got there I felt like Mother Hubbard - the field was bare apart from stubble. Farmers have no consideration. :knuppel2: I was so disappointed I never thought to take a shot of the sunset.  ::)

Oldboy

DigiDiva

I know exactly what you mean...same thing happened to me!
Please visit my website @ www.sunderlandwallart.com

spikeyjen

Rule #1 - always take you camera with you
although I never follow Rule #1 as I probably wouldn't get to work on time each day!!

Karen

That's a bummer. I always have the camera in the car. My wife says I need surgically removed from it  :D Sounds like it would have been a great shot :'(

donoreo

Ack!  I have done similar.  I spent too long planning that tree was no time left for execution and I missed the photo.

Malcolm1938

When you see a picture - Take It..... Then look for a better angle or shot. Too often I have seen a nice picture and wandered around to see if there is a better angle. Then, when I cant find one I return to the original spot which is now occupied by some flash git with a much better camera than mine. He gets my picture and by the time he's finished the light has changed and what I had seen no longer exists. See it, Take it, then look around.
FKA CannOffice
Too old to die young
Every day is a good day - if you wake up....

My Gallery

Reinardina

Quote from: Malcolm1938 on November 02, 2013, 09:49:35 PM
When you see a picture - Take It..... Then look for a better angle or shot. Too often I have seen a nice picture and wandered around to see if there is a better angle. Then, when I cant find one I return to the original spot which is now occupied by some flash git with a much better camera than mine. He gets my picture and by the time he's finished the light has changed and what I had seen no longer exists. See it, Take it, then look around.

Very sound advice, but I think we are all in the habit of doing a few steps to the right or left, to see if we can improve the shot. And when those few steps take us too far away, we run the risk of losing the shot altogether.
Must try to remember 'Malcolm's Rule.'

Beauty is bought by judgment of the eye.
Shakespeare. (Love's Labours Lost.)

Oldboy

I always take the shot first then, if time allows, work the subject. With nature you don't always get a second chance.  :tup:

ABERS

Quote from: Reinardina on November 03, 2013, 08:11:35 AM

Must try to remember 'Malcolm's Rule.'

Based on years of experience. ;)

SimonW

I always (repeat that) have my compact camera in a padded case in my jacket pocket. Even so I've missed several shots which would have been wonderful, due to the time it took to get the camera out of my pocket, out of the case, and turned on. (But of course I've also got many I'd have mised if I didn't have a camera with me.)
Simon Warren
(in Dunning, Scotland)

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.