• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,412
  • Total Topics: 5,705
  • Online today: 193
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 110
  • Total: 110
parkcameras
Temu £100 Coupon bundle o...Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning Resources

How Was It For You?

Started by ABERS, November 15, 2009, 08:01:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ABERS

Been reading some of the storm reports on the BBC news web site. It's amazing how we Brits survive in times of national disaster.

'Firefighters took down a "dangerous" kebab shop sign which had become dislodged by strong winds in Gravesend, Kent.' I alwyays thought those shops were dodgy, I think dangerous is going a bit far ::)

'There were also calls reporting roof tiles and "for sale" boards being ripped up in Brighton and Bexhill.' Estate agent nightmare!

'Jonathan Bradshaw, who sent pictures of storm damage in the Essex town, told BBC News: "We were woken by the sound of debris hitting the window. We got to the window just in time to see the fence collapse." ' You only have to stare hard at  my fence for that to happen. :(

Any reports from your area that could interest the BBC?

picsfor

no doubt it was a tad windy here over the last 36 hours, with driving rain even.

I'm about to pop out and see in what way mother nature has redeveloped Brighton and the surround.
I might even take a caemra just in case i spot something!

jinky

As in all these south centred news / weather reports stating catastrophe for the whole country we saw a slight breeze and the odd bit of rain ;)
Just your standard November wet and grey stuff in Leeds

picsfor

Quote from: jinky on November 15, 2009, 08:20:30 AM
As in all these south centred news / weather reports stating catastrophe for the whole country

You're forgetting that the country was brought to a stand still in 1987 because of a little bit of wind and rain (well the south was!)
As a result every time there is the remotest chance it might happen again the Met Office is obliged to warn the whole country that London might get wet and receive a bit of wind  ::)
(that'll draw them in)

Me on the other hand - i was 200 miles away from it watching the 'good morning' breakfast team broadcast from a couple of crates in a poorly lit warehouse whilst the Scousers griped about how they'd been overlooked by London again!!! Derek Hatton was not a happy bunny i can assure you.
(that'll draw some more in  ::) )
Be grateful - at least they didn't wheel out Michael Fish to explain where it all went wrong again... (and they talk about Fed the Shred making good out of a disaster)
(if that doesn't get the rest in nothing will  ::)  )

Well i'm off to see if Brighton has one pile of scrap referred to as a pier or 2!

anglefire

We had a bit of rain in the midlands and some wind - but nothing too bad.

Suns lovely this morning!

Oh, and talking about London, I was there in about 1989 when some snow fell. Must have been about 5mm. Just enough to turn the roads white. Talk about chaos!
----------------------------------
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Current Bodies:
Canon 1Dx
Canon R3
Canon R5

Sold Bodies:
Canon 350D
Canon 1DMk3
Canon 5D
Canon 1Dx Mk3

Oldboy

As Mark says we didn't have much rain, but the wind was bad after I'd eaten a can of baked beans!  :2funny: :2funny:

Still we had are own little bit of trouble at the Christmas Lights switch-on concert. I got there at 16:00 but by then it was all over.  :o

See link below.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/west_midlands/8361023.stm

Nemesis

Max gust of 46.4kph here in the Thames Valley - almost blew the dustbin over!  Wasn't very pleasant outside in the wind and driving rain but it was hardly the beginning of 2012 was it  ;)

minky_monkey

I had my hair blown about a bit coming back from the pub last night, would that qualify as a major news story?

Hybridphotog

Well, Clacton-on-Sea was windy and rainy for a whole TWO days! That's consecutive! Not two days in a week!

I was telling the Saturday lad at the shop that Bolton sometimes gets non-stop rain for a month... maybe two, so two whole days of rain is nothing. There was a look of amazement on his face. :)

Mind you, last night was fun. Having to contend with a flat tyre was bad enough, but cycling into strong gusts of wind..? I was knackered by the time I got home.

Mick

Quote from: Hybridphotog on November 15, 2009, 12:48:02 PM
Well, Clacton-on-Sea was windy and rainy for a whole TWO days! That's consecutive! Not two days in a week!

Same for me.  Remember Dave, you're only about 15 miles away from me.  ;) 

We had a really dry summer here in Essex, and it brought my workload to a complete halt.  No garden machinery breaking down as they only used their mowers etc a couple of times.

The roads around here were flooded on Saturday morning, the drains can't cope with two days of rain.  Even had hailstones.  :o
Thank You, "Guest" For Reading This Post.

My Gallery
Tinyportal.net Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0
Guitarist Guild Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0
The Garden Machinery Forum Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0

OpenSea

picsfor

Are you at the top of the hill Mick or the bottom?

Oldboy

Quote from: minky_monkey on November 15, 2009, 11:54:13 AM
I had my hair blown about a bit coming back from the pub last night, would that qualify as a major news story?

It would if your wig came off!  :-[  :2funny: :2funny:

chris@seary.com

Wasn't as bad as predicted around Cirencester. The news organisations (especially the BBC) seem to want to hype up the bad news when it comes to weather.

Back in the 2007 floods, we set off into town for a family day out. Why were we so dumb? Well, at the time we didn't own a telly, and there was almost no mention of the issues on the radio news channels that we tuned into (including BBC local radio).

We had a lot of problems getting back that day, but we made it, and luckily we weren't one of the contswold villages that had many problems with flooding.

The next day, our area, and many other nearby areas were almost back to normal. We could drive pretty much anywhere we wanted. However, on the internet, the BBC were still showing the same footage of the flood waters at their worst, and repeated them for another 4 or 5 days. We personally knew someone who ran a hotel and had all the bookings cancelled due to the flooding, even though they weren't affected and the issues were over.

The BBC had an opportunity provide information to people, with all those helicopters they used for filming and reporting. However, they chose to simply hype up the event as much as possible.

picsfor

Our Biased (sorry British) Broadcasting Company hyping things up to enhance their angle and get the ratings up?
Surely not!

Next thing you know Mick'll be telling us he lives near a 'Secret' Nuclear Bunker that's also sign posted for the general public.

Mick

Quote from: picsfor on November 15, 2009, 08:40:14 PM

Next thing you know Mick'll be telling us he lives near a 'Secret' Nuclear Bunker that's also sign posted for the general public.

Funny you should say that.  It's about a mile away  ;)   Well I do live at the top of the hill, but @ Manningtree, not Mistley.  :) 
Thank You, "Guest" For Reading This Post.

My Gallery
Tinyportal.net Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0
Guitarist Guild Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0
The Garden Machinery Forum Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0

OpenSea

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.